Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 08-29-2004, 02:44 AM   #1
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

im kinda interested now in a tv tuner for my pc that can go along with my 17inch monitor (thanks again memoch ). anyway, i went out searching for tv tuner and this caught my attention:

link
AVerMedia TV DVB-S - digital satellite receiver card
http://www.cheapcomputer.com.au/products/item241.asp
description:
which allows you to access free-to-air digital satellite TV and digital radio in on your PC, Fully Resizable TV (up to full screen), Personal Digital VCR, 16 channel preview, Fully Functional Remote Control

AVerMedia TV DVB-T - digital terrestrial television receiver card
http://www.cheapcomputer.com.au/products/item240.asp
decription:
allows to access free-to-air digital terrestrial TV and radio signals using UHF/VHF antenna, record and save TV programs directly to your PC's hard disk in original MPEG-2 format, Remote Control, Infrared Sensor Cable

okay, now I am stumped.. what is the difference between the two?? im kinda stumped here since both (for me anyway) does the same thing. Im not knowledgable in TV frequency and stuff but both support satellite and ordianry tv reciever. Am I right about this?

The only thing different between the two is that one supports fhm radio reciever. Can someone explain to me which is better (like what is UHF/VHF antenna compared to digital satellite tv??) Im living in sydney btw, so the frequency and such may be different just a little warning.

Catch me if you can..
Old 08-29-2004, 03:47 AM   #2
Ilander
20th Level Warrior

Umm...you remember the old Intel 486 processors? Well, they're to modern 64-bit processors as the antennae is to the sattalite...

Complete waste, unless you decide to get rid of your sattelite.

Is that what you really want to say?
Old 08-29-2004, 04:18 AM   #3
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

so do you mean that these tv tuners can be used without any sattelite or antennas?

Catch me if you can..
Old 08-29-2004, 05:56 AM   #4
Intrepid
Symbol of Cyric

looks like you can put a satelite tv card in the second one and watch satelite tv on your computer, mine can do that.
A tv card is ok, espeially if you want to avoid work or spend even longer in front of the computer, although i must admit the resoloution of digital TV is amazing, and recorsind in digital form is great.
Old 08-29-2004, 08:03 AM   #5
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

I have a TV card, its not a digital one, but it does the job. Its great, I love it, all my console are plugged into it, and I dont have to reach over tp a TV every time I want to watch something, I can also record programs too which I good.
I agree with Intrepid, the "satelite" card will be able to recieve digital TV such as Foxtel or Austar, so long as you have the decoder card.
Old 08-29-2004, 08:12 AM   #6
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

thanks guys! . but you still havent answered my question [img]tongue.gif[/img] . what is the difference between the two cards??

Catch me if you can..
Old 08-29-2004, 08:22 AM   #7
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Harkoliar:
thanks guys! . but you still havent answered my question [img]tongue.gif[/img] . what is the difference between the two cards??
Have you seen the adds on tv about channel Ten's HD television(High definition)??
Id say that they can both recieve and watch that.
But after really looking at them both, the only difference I can see is that one is smaller.
Old 08-29-2004, 08:31 AM   #8
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

Well I have This card in my computer and it goes just fine. Apart from the fact that it cant recieve digital TV it was cheap and can record in more formats than most other cards that Ive seen. It also has radio, RCA and S-Video in and remote control support.
Old 08-29-2004, 08:41 AM   #9
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

oh okay.. that would be cool indeed. i have one major question, do i still have to plug my computer in near tv outlet if I have a card? or the tv tuner has an antenna that can recieve the signals. (really im a total noob)

thanks as well hivetyrant.

Catch me if you can..
Old 08-29-2004, 09:03 AM   #10
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

Well the card is like the back of a TV, all you need is a coaxial cable(usually white, you should have one if you have a tv) and it will plug into the card just like it plugs into a TV. I dont think that there are any TV cards with antennas in them, but you can get a pair of "rabbit ears"(portable antenna) and plug that in, but the quality is never as good as the one one your roof.