Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-09-2003, 10:40 AM   #1
Haldir
Manshoon

I am about to change my army are better Space Wolves or Dark Angels?
Old 09-09-2003, 02:05 PM   #2
Legolas
Jack Burton

That depends entirely on your own preferred style of play. What forces did you use in the past? Elite troops, hordes, something inbetween... fast vehicles, heavy cannons, lots of ranged weaponry or more the close-combat stuff? Did you like that and want more, or are you looking for a change? Also, most importantly, which of the two do you think is cooler [img]smile.gif[/img]
Legolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2003, 12:25 AM   #3
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

What are you taklking about?
Obviously Tyranids are the better choice. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Hivetyrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2003, 09:54 AM   #4
Indemaijinj
Symbol of Cyric

Yeah it's all about style.

Personally I like tyranids for the massive charges, the ability to suffer heavy losses without losing coherence and the adorable carnifex.

I am not that fond of specific chapter space marines. Firstly, due to their few special units defining them they tend to be so similar. Secondly due to their predefined colour schemes.

Actually some of the most enjoyable (and effective) space marine armies are middle-of-the-roaders with a slight inclination towards mobility. Try to resist the temptation to dump all your points into a big meaty command section. It tends to make for an inflexible army that is boring to play.

While I dislike "bus" armies I must say that armoured personnel carriers, especially the cheap and flexible Rhino is one of the most defining units in the Space Marine army. Use them intelligently to claim vital territory or to get troops out of compromised areas. Resist the urge to give all squads their own transport. Often a single Rhino can be of use for several squads during a battle. Having more than one is avisable though. Don't be afraid to use the Razorback upgrade. Think of it as one more mobile heavy weapon.

Heavy assault bikes and land speeders, while not being so popular amongst the masses are an excellent way of making sure your heavy weapons capabilities are where they are useful. Sure they die of nearly everything, but they are often very good at staying out of enemy fire. Also don't be afraid to compromise them. They are often able to take out much more than their own points cost when properly tooled up.

Space marine bikes, though they look cool, are in my humble opinion overrated. Ordinary footslogging tactical squads combined with rhinos are often far more flexible and effective.

Scouts are a cheap way of messing up the enemy's plan.

And last, but not least: Bolters are really good weapons.