Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Entertainment (Movies, TV Shows and Books/Comics)

Old 11-28-2001, 11:30 PM   #1
dwarf 13
Elite Waterdeep Guard

OK, I'm rereading the book in preparation for the movie, and I got to wondering, what exactly is Tom Bombadil? I mean, he is made out by Gandalf to be very ancient and somewhat powerful, but they never explain how he got there. I don't know if just getting into this way too much (I tend to do that) but it has piqued my curiousity.

By the way, can anyone recommend a good Lord of the Rings type book that will not turn out to be dissapointing?
Old 11-29-2001, 12:21 AM   #2
YeRFDoG
The Magister

Tolkien wrote a short story called The Adventures Of Tom Bombadil....
Never read it, just seen it in a store. Other than that I'll let someone else reply

Btw - I read LoTR fairly recently, and there's nothing to suggest where Tom comes from...... I suppose the story (adventures of TB) might have something about this.
Old 11-29-2001, 12:23 AM   #3
Grand-Ranger
Galvatron

Location: Everywhere I wanna go its already where I am,cause I am already there
Well I cant anwser your intial question.

But if you want a good fantasy book, I would suggest The Dragonlance Chronicals serries.

They are:

Dragons of Autum Twighlight

Dragons of Winter Nighter

Dragons of Sping Dawning

Dragons of Summer Flame

The first 3 are great, my favorit books. Havent yet read the 4th. There exiting, funny, intruiging, tragic, inspiring, all in one! Or 4 I should say,hehehe
Old 11-29-2001, 08:04 AM   #4
Zbyszek

The fourth one was a little bit disappointing - for me. It is supposed to happen about 20 years later - almost nothing to do with characters and events from first three tomes. A lot of strange events, total chaos and almost cosmic forces - I mean small plays between gods are over - total catastrophe for all: gods, peoples, dragons... is coming, but of course (dont remember details) the end is almost positive.
Zbyszek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2001, 08:10 AM   #5
Argus
The Magister

This site contains one person's thoughts:

http://www.cas.unt.edu/~hargrove/bombadil.html
Argus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2001, 08:26 AM   #6
AngelofDeath
Drizzt Do'Urden

I found this site as well..........

Hope it helps