Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal

Old 11-10-2003, 12:08 PM   #1
pokeygamma
Elite Waterdeep Guard

So I've just now reached the Underdark. Yay. Went north and killed the three mind flayers, went SE and found the traders. Then I went north of the traders and found a seal with an air elemental on it. Said elemental immediately begins moving toward my PC, even though my scout, Valygar, is stealthed. I kill it, and another pops up. And another. And another.

Thing is, they're not too tough. While I can't do my usual cheese tactic of stealthing Valygar and having him backstab with his Celestial Fury (the elemental won't stop until it reaches my PC), he and my PC can typically kill it with little damage incurred. Meanwhile, we're both hasted and wearing regen rings, so we get back a HP every 3 seconds. 7000 XP a pop.

I also found the earth and fire elemental seals. They don't seem to be as worth much (6k?), but the earth elem doesn't seem to beeline for my PC (unfortunately, he seems to sometimes go for the fire guy and whale on him).

Is there anything stopping me from just milking these seals until I'm level 20, other than boredom? It doesn't seem right to me. There was another place that felt like an XP vending machine - the big face of (I assume) Amaunator that summoned sword spiders and vampiric mists. But it seemed to run out after 3-4 summons.
pokeygamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2003, 12:43 PM   #2
Dace De'Briago
Silver Dragon

I think the elementals run out after about 10 from each portal.

So there is a lot of XP, but not unlimited.
Old 11-10-2003, 12:49 PM   #3
RoSs_bg2_rox
Zartan

I think its 8 but I could possibly be wrong, its a long time since i counted them.
Old 11-10-2003, 01:36 PM   #4
Faceman
Hathor

They definitely run out after you do the quest connected with the portals, other than that I don't know.
Old 11-10-2003, 02:52 PM   #5
masteraleph
Elminster

There's a limit to them- whether it's 8, 10, or 15 from each portal I can't remember, but there's definitely a limit.
masteraleph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2003, 06:21 PM   #6
Lord
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
Originally posted by Faceman:
They definitely run out after you do the quest connected with the portals, other than that I don't know.
Yes, but to do the elemental parts for that quest, you need to complete the other quests that lead up to it. If you want to know about it, it's called 'The Imprisoned Mage' or something in your journal. One of the duegars at the trading stand have a certain scroll that can help you start out on this quest. It gives a nice XP boost with a pretty nice item [img]smile.gif[/img]

"No, I only lied about being a thief."
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2003, 06:30 PM   #7
Faceman
Hathor

Quote:
Originally posted by Lord:
quote:
Yes, but to do the elemental parts for that quest, you need to complete the other quests that lead up to it. If you want to know about it, it's called 'The Imprisoned Mage' or something in your journal. One of the duegars at the trading stand have a certain scroll that can help you start out on this quest. It gives a nice XP boost with a pretty nice item [img]smile.gif[/img] [/QUOTE]If you are just greedy enough it is items
BTW: If you decide to do the quest, either get rid of all of them before or don't approach them, as unlimited extra elementals can get rather annoying during that specific quest
Old 11-10-2003, 10:31 PM   #8
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

The elementals are not infinite. The last time I counted, about 11 from each portal. There are areas where you can get infinite XP though.
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2003, 02:40 AM   #9
Faceman
Hathor

Quote:
Originally posted by Dundee Slaytern:
The elementals are not infinite. The last time I counted, about 11 from each portal. There are areas where you can get infinite XP though.
If you rest in the right area for example
Wait, make that a "pretend to rest - in fact waiting"
Old 11-11-2003, 02:50 AM   #10
Lord
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Dundee Slaytern:
If you rest in the right area for example
Wait, make that a "pretend to rest - in fact waiting"
[/QUOTE]Or a few places in ToB, where you get to fight someone's slaves, and they never stop coming until you attack the guy who owns the slaves . Nice place for an XP boost [img]tongue.gif[/img]

"No, I only lied about being a thief."
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote