Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Entertainment (Movies, TV Shows and Books/Comics)

Old 01-11-2002, 08:07 AM   #1
Zbyszek

I am just curious how often do you read books that got Nebula, Hugo, Locus awards (the last one is fantasy - for example G.R.R Martin).

I was recommending many awarded books and scarely got any response. Frankly speaking many of them were SF (Pohl, Haldeman) but some of them were fantasy, but lets say more serious one.
Talking about Le Guin people new her tetralogy (Earthsee) but not Hain serie. Zelazny I think is more popular but because his more light works (Amber), however many have read awarded and great "Lord of Ligh" and other good books.

I read a lot of lighter books. I love Glen Cook, Amber serie etc. but I am aware, that these books are lets say to read not to think. I have read many DragonLance books and some ForgottenRealms but I have to say that these are even less worth. I dont want to offend any Salvatore fans but for me for such books are like soap-oper, I buy and read them because I want to know who will be killed in next chapter.

My question: do you read also more serious fantasy/SF books? (some of them got awards, this is why i titled this thread Awards). One can find here threads about Feist, Jordan, Salvatore. Awarded books can be found here very seldom.
Old 01-11-2002, 10:57 AM   #2
J'aran
Mephistopheles

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Zbyszek:
My question: do you read also more serious fantasy/SF books? (some of them got awards, this is why i titled this thread Awards). One can find here threads about Feist, Jordan, Salvatore. Awarded books can be found here very seldom.<hr></blockquote>

I read practically every fantasy/SF I can get my hands on, provided I have the time of course. I don't really care whether it's light or more serious, or whether or not it got an award.
I've read some awarded books which I didn't find that good at all, and I've read some books that got totally bashed which I found great. So AFAIAC awards don't mean that much.
J'aran is offline   Reply With Quote