Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-01-2002, 04:36 PM   #1
WinterWolf
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I just got to the willow wisp part of fell wood and i cant kill them, i can barely even hit them. Is there a trick or do u just have to tank them until they're all gone??
Old 10-01-2002, 04:41 PM   #2
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion
Yeah they pissed me round as well. I just attacked them until they finally died, and healed a lot. Tough buggers and no happiness in xp either! I couldn't see any other way to do it, they weren't exactly open to diplomacy, no one offered any special weapons or anything anyway.
Old 10-01-2002, 04:48 PM   #3
Micah Foehammer
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

If they are anything like 2E PnP Will-o-wisps, a single magic missile should kill one. Not sure how the 3E wisps will respond though.

http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3793&dateline=1187636  783
Micah Foehammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2002, 06:43 PM   #4
WinterWolf
Elite Waterdeep Guard

what is the difference between 2E and 3E wisps??
Old 10-02-2002, 12:52 AM   #5
Kalak
The Magister

No way to know without the monster manual, but a lot of monsters gained magic resistances to certain spells and other advantages due to the changes in the magic system. More than likely they have more hps than the old system. In the old system will o' wisp were tough b/c they couldn't be damage by physical attacks. But a lot of stuff in 2e that was like that lost it, gained hps, and got other stuff in exchange.
Old 10-02-2002, 01:06 AM   #6
Cyril Darkcloud
Lord Soth

I'm not sure what precise adaptations were made by the IWD 2 team, but here are some rough stats for will o' wisps as per 3rd edition rules:

AC: 29
Hit Dice: 9d8
Damage: electric shock 2d8

Natural Invisibilty

Spell Immunity
- the only spells that can affect them are:
* Magic circle against chaos
* magic circle against evil
* magic missile
* maze
* protection from chaos
* protection from evil

Given that 2 of them are identified as a Witchlight and a Death's Candle respectively and offer more exp than the will o' wisp, it seems reasonable to assume that the stats for these two are a bit higher than those given here.
Old 10-02-2002, 03:38 PM   #7
Azred
Drow Priestess

Thanks for the info, Cyril. [img]graemlins/awesomework.gif[/img] I tried going toe-to-toe against the will-o-wisps last night. *sigh* The result was quite shocking, I must admit. [img]tongue.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/petard.gif[/img]

No matter how thinly you slice it, it's still bologna.
Azred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2002, 01:11 PM   #8
ratchild
Manshoon

Yeah, these guys are pretty tough. summon up a few monsters to take the hits, and keep your mage protected, so they can fire off magic missile when one appears. have your guys equip some elemental dmg type weapons, as they might work too...
Old 10-03-2002, 03:31 PM   #9
Northraven
Manshoon

The Wisps are a tough, frustrating battle, no doubt about it. After being killed a few times by them I figured out a strategy that worked really well for me:
1.Make sure that you cast Protection From Lightning/Electricity on all of your characters that will be going toe-to-toe with the Wisps.

2.The Wisps will appear in front of your party, attack, and then dissappear. Use the pause key to make sure your party members don't chase after them and concentrate all of your melee attacks on the Wisp currently in front of you.

3.Try to have 3 characters at least meleeing your target at all times. (Make sure your melee types are equiped with magic weapons so that they can hit the things) I had 5 in my party, my Fighter, Ranger/Barbarian, Cleric, Rogue, and Druid all hacking away with the Cleric occasionally stopping to heal a badly injured party member.

4.As stated above, have your Mage use Magic Missles on the Wisps. Only let off one such spell each time one appears as I found them liable to vanish before the second volley could get off, sometimes wasting my spell.

Using this strategy, I beat the critters on my first attempt with no party deaths. Good luck.
\"Before the world was bent but after the great contagion, there was a civilization built in the image of the First Age. It sought to emulate the splendor of the bygone Golden Age, but it was in all ways less. It was a time of sorcery and heroism, of fabulous wonders and treacherous betrayals. Ruled by a decadent empire, it slipped inch by inch into barbarism and darkness, until one last cataclysm blotted it out forever. Yet, in it\'s sunset, it was a splendid thing, and glorious were the deeds of the Exalted.\"<br /><br />[url]\"http://www.sloganizer.net/en/\" target=\"_blank\"> [img]\"http://www.sloganizer.net/en/style7,Severed-spc-Fist.png\" alt=\" - \" /></a>
Northraven is offline   Reply With Quote