Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 12-13-2000, 07:00 AM   #1
Hoggar
Welcomed New User

Me again.

I'm letting Korgan dual two axes atm, Frostreaver 1d8+3 +1 +1 and Stonefire 1d8+3 +2. He is a killing machine and scores twice the kills Minsc and my mainchar do. However, are there any better axes out there? It's the first time I really play an axeman so I havn't looked that hard before, but I can't recall finding very many of them.

He'll get a nice hammer later of course but until then?
Old 12-13-2000, 07:26 AM   #2
Armisael

Korgan's a dervish no matter what he's wielding. The rifthome axe +3 is quite good, but is probably outclassed by the azuredge +3. These two are both throwable. The azuredge I believe you buy somewhere, although my memory fails me - the Copper Coronet? The Adventure Mart? Trademeet? - and the rifthome, unfortunately, may only be obtained if you work for Bodhi in chapter three (you can pluck it off one of the thieves you kill during her first set task). If you've given Korgan a proficiency or three in dual-wielding, try equipping him with these two. He butchers everything at long range.

Old 12-13-2000, 07:51 AM   #3
Hoggar
Welcomed New User

Azuredge is only usable by non-evil character, as I recall (had a look at it in the Copper Coronet) and Korgan is a rather mean bastard. I went with the thieves so I guess Rifthome is out as well. Unless I can betray the thieves later on when I've chopped up Bohdi.
Old 12-13-2000, 07:55 AM   #4
Arachnia Vandriel

I also found out that you cant dual wield with throwing axes cos it's classed as a missile weapon (even if you select it as a melee weapon)..

Must be some sort of bug (or oversight)

Old 12-13-2000, 08:11 AM   #5
Armisael

Bah, in that case, I was talking out of my ass. I always just have Korgan using rifthome and a shield, I'm no dual wielding expert. Stonefire and frostreaver in that case, unless you want to use hangard's +2. But I still can't stress how good Korgan is with throwing axes.

Old 12-13-2000, 10:45 AM   #6
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Unfortunately if you have a ranged weapon equipped you can't dual-wield (can't have a weapon equipped in your off hand). I think this is pretty stupid for ranged single hand weapons like throwing axes/daggers/hammers. I can understand with bows and crossbows as they are definitely two handed but they should have made an exception for throwing axes and hammers. I can just see Korgan with the Rifthome and Azureedge in both hands. This isn't the hammer throw at the Olympics...
Old 12-13-2000, 11:30 AM   #7
Kaël

or make dual throw for throwing dagger/axes+-

Old 12-14-2000, 05:08 AM   #8
Hoggar
Welcomed New User

While we're talking about butcher-boy and his axes... I have him dualwielding Frostreaver and Stonefire, and yesterday I let him loose upon the underdark. Last (and first and only so far apart from yesterday) time I was there I had one HELL of a hard time with the Beholders and the Mind Flayers. I didn't even complete those two lairs. This time, however... Korgan had the Cloak of Mirroring, so while the rest of the group was patiently waiting at the entrance, he ran into the Beholder lair and had the time of his life. I can imagine how the rest of the group listened to the screams of agony emerging from the depths as Mr Death whirled through the ranks of the enemy. As if this wasn't enough, I pretty much tried the same tactic in the Mind Flayer cave, with some support from Maz and Edwin. Last time, all my chars got slaughtered and Brainsucked time after another, but not Korgy. Time after another he encountered Mind Flayers and Ulyt... whatever, in man-to-man combat in the hallways. I had to reload twice in the entire Mind Flayer dungeon, and both times due to the fact that some other loser in my group strayed to close to the enemy. I didn't really agree before, thinking Minsc was as good, but now I am totally and fully convinced that Korgan is by far the best fighter in the game.

Well, in case you should care.
Old 12-14-2000, 05:43 AM   #9
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

You're preaching to the converted, baby! Korgan's a killer. Once you get that hammer you've been talking about no-one will be able to touch him.