Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-12-2004, 02:43 PM   #1
pritchke
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

4 times in the last 7 months my computer has crashed giving the blue screen of Death in Windows XP (home)that will not allow me access to safe mode or Dos. Thereby causing me to lose all my data.

One solution I guess is to install an extra hard drive and place any information that I wish to keep (images, documents, etc) on this and back up things like (save games, portraits, characters etc). That way when I presented with the windows blue screen of death from hell I can reformat without losing valuable information. Usually these crashes occur when running IE.

Is the extra hard drive, a good idea or bad idea? Do you think it will get rid of my problem of losing information due to a serious crash in Windows XP?

[ 07-12-2004, 02:45 PM: Message edited by: pritchke ]
Old 07-12-2004, 03:27 PM   #2
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

I have been waiting the chance to add a small drive into my system, making it the one that holds Windows and Office and Explorer...and the 40GB drive that I have now would be for everything else. I was told it is a good idea, and I can see the benefits of it as well. Do it.
Old 07-12-2004, 03:34 PM   #3
aleph_null1
Red Wizard of Thay

I've got two hard drives in this machine: an 80 gig with WinDoze, games, music, &c. and a 40 gig running FreeBSD where I do any actual work I do -- there is some -- and where I stash any backups I think crucial (though most crucial stuff is there already).

It works wonderfully for me, anyway.
Old 07-12-2004, 03:43 PM   #4
Mouse
Ironworks Moderator

As HD's are pretty cheap, I'd recommend having a second one as backup. That's what I did

Mouse
(Occasional crooner and all round friendly Scottish rodent)
Old 07-12-2004, 04:09 PM   #5
RoSs_bg2_rox
Zartan

yes its a good idea. Also with another HDD you can set up partitions, so you could make all your vital data on its own HDD, and games etc. on another. Of course thats only an idea, you could just make it a plain backup drive.

Also, if you set up a virtual memory partition, you can get yur computer to run faster, as it can handle more data at once.
Old 07-12-2004, 04:27 PM   #6
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

I recommend a second hard drive... or a second computer where you back things up. That's why I converted an old Pentium 233 box into a Linux box and tossed a couple of big hard drives onto it. So nice...

I make two kinds of backups. One is a data-only backup, and the other is a full backup, including applications. I find it makes life easier by far...
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Old 07-12-2004, 04:54 PM   #7
Bozos of Bones
Apophis

Bungleau has a nice setup, I was thinking of doing that with my old PC.
I have a 160GB hard in my PC and that's where my Winblows and other stuff is. It's in two partitions and I also have a 40GB backup disk in my closet(I kid you not!) with all the stuff I want to keep, as well as an installed and set-up WinXP. I also use it to move large quantities of data between PCs.
Old 07-12-2004, 05:15 PM   #8
Animal
Gold Dragon

First off, XP shouldn't be crashing. You need to fix that ASAP. You can decode the error message the blue screen shows and figure out why it's crashing. I've never had a crash since I've owned XP, the first week it was released.

Second, either a second hard drive or a DVD burner to back up your important files is a must. You can never have enough storage space.
Old 07-12-2004, 05:17 PM   #9
Stormymystic
Knight of the Rose

xp does crash, I have it crash on my computer every month or so, it happens, yes get a second hard drive, you can also buy a plug and play hard drive, but they are bulky. animal, you mean to tell me you have not had a blue screen of death? then how would you know about the error code on it?
Old 07-12-2004, 05:33 PM   #10
pritchke
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Animal do you have Home or Pro? I have heard Pro is a little better and very unlikely to crash. There is also the possibility of a virus causing the crash but I update frequently so the chances are slim although it has occured but usually I could get in safe mode to fix it. Once I had to reformat because of the virus that causes the system to reboot. I have talked to tech support a couple times and they did not know why it was crashing despite the blue screen of death message, and they also said there was no way around it if the blue screen appeared in safe mode. It did not seem like it was the first time answering these questions either. I think you have just been lucky. I have had years of no problems with Win 98, I believe it was luck to some extent.

[ 07-12-2004, 05:48 PM: Message edited by: pritchke ]