Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum

Old 10-14-2002, 09:44 AM   #1
Vassago
Manshoon

I was just curious if it was me or what. I just started a game, still inside Targos' gates, with 4 characters on hard level. I like to level up fast w/o getting slaughter and since I'm new to 3e rules, I decided to play on hard instead of insane. Anyway, the experience points I have received so far seem like a joke. 300 pts each for some minor quests? I'm finding it very difficult to level up my characters b/c of lack of experience points. 37 points for killing a goblin divided by three doesn't make it worth it my eyes. I don't know maybe I'm missing something. I'm not saying that goblins should have like a thousand points or something, but I would like to be able to walk out the town w/ a least a couple of levels under my belt. Although I would have to say that battling the goblins thru out the town has been quite easy. Just curious as to what your thoughts where on the issue of experience in Targos.
Old 10-14-2002, 11:44 AM   #2
Nightowl2
Galvatron

Once you clean up the docks completely, there will be other quests and things to do in the town upstairs. Eventually, your party will start to level quickly, and outstrip the game. Then you'll end up doing combats that provide no points at all. This is a problem all short parties face in any difficulty mode. So be sure to do every quest you possibly can throughout the game.

Nightowl2
Nightowl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2002, 07:12 AM   #3
Lifetime
Red Dragon

Yeah, one thing I noticed (and many other people as well I'm sure) is that your party seems to enter a period of momentary weakness and then suddenly explode into godliness. The hardest parts in the game seem to be between the earlier stages of taking the bridge and the early stages of taking the fortress. In the later stages of both those areas your party tends to level up at twice or more the rate that you do earlier in the game, when experience points are not forthcoming at all. I'm perhaps.. in Chapter 2, rather in the middle of it, and most of my characters are between levels 7-10. This in a party including 2 drow, one tiefling and one aasimar. And already much of the game is a walk in the park. I seem to be levelling a character after just.. perhaps 10-20 minutes of play, when in the earlier stages you work much, much harder to get a level, and every time you have to reload cause you die adds to that time. My characters are so drowned in potions and high hitpoints that they rarely if ever come close to dying. The amount of enchanted missles I get is ridiculous. Magical weapons are much less forthcoming though, which is better than in Baldur's Gate 2 where you got a new magical item in nearly every encounter that +1 weapons became easily dispensible small change and armour became excess baggage.
Dont worry about the difficulty level, things will tend to perk up once you get later into the game.
Old 10-15-2002, 08:35 AM   #4
Guinness
The Magister

Yep the amount of enchanted bolts, arrows and bullets are a joke. 1/2 of all my inventry slots were taken up until i gave up collecting them and sold the majority.

The number of ice axes are also a bit of a drag since theey are worth practically nothing (even less than a normal axe). I wonder if anyone later in the game is willing to pay hansomely for them..... i am keeping a few just to see.
Old 10-15-2002, 12:58 PM   #5
Vassago
Manshoon

I noticed something last night and was hoping someone could confirm this.

I started playing w/ a party of 4 on hard and made a note of the experience I was getting from kills and quests. Well last night, I started a game w/ a single player on insane and the amount of experience I was getting was the same as my party of 4 on hard. So it appears to me that the amount of experience you get is the same regardless of the difficulty level. The only advantage is you have to fight more creatures.
Old 10-16-2002, 01:17 AM   #6
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Vassago:
I noticed something last night and was hoping someone could confirm this.

I started playing w/ a party of 4 on hard and made a note of the experience I was getting from kills and quests. Well last night, I started a game w/ a single player on insane and the amount of experience I was getting was the same as my party of 4 on hard. So it appears to me that the amount of experience you get is the same regardless of the difficulty level. The only advantage is you have to fight more creatures.
Yes, the xp is the same.