Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum

Old 08-11-2003, 02:23 PM   #1
Lymond
Manshoon

Spoiler

I'm playing IWD for the second time and I'm in lower Dorm's Deep, the Northeast section of the main area, where there are those boarded up buildings. And, for the second time, there are visible theives in front of some of the buildings that attack my party as I approach- according to the dialogue box- but never move. Similarly, I can try and attack them, but the attack never goes through. To experiment, I've used some area spells and the theives can take damage. Otherwise, we're pretty much at a standoff until I walk away. They don't follow and everyone is happy.

Has anyone else experienced this? I suspect it's a glitch in my "theivesnearthebuildingsinlowerdormsdeep" file because this is the second time I've experienced this. Since playing the first time, though, I've added HOW and TOLM, so I would think my patches are updated. Another oddity is that not all the theives on this level have this problem.

Thoughts?

Lymond
Old 08-11-2003, 03:35 PM   #2
NobleNick
Quintesson

Lymond,

This just happened to me, and I tried all sorts of things to engage in melee, without success. It was exasperating. And, yes, there were others (like underneath the door that leads to artisan district) that I could engage.

But thanks for the info, heh, heh, heh.... I'm going back loaded with all sorts of nasty area effect magic and play my own version of shooting fish in a barrel...

What's a party,
without a song?
Bards ROCK!
Party on!!
NobleNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2003, 10:36 AM   #3
pritchke
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

It is a bug due to poor design (designers having to many of them appear on the doorsteps, tight squeeze.). Magic (mass spells best, chain lightning, acid storm, ice storm etc.)still works against them and often times after killing all but one in the doorstep the last one left in a doorstep should be able to attack you.

[ 08-12-2003, 10:40 AM: Message edited by: pritchke ]
pritchke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2003, 12:35 PM   #4
Micah Foehammer
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Just target the area near the doorways (and back in that little nook to the east) with area effect spells as you mentioned. Stand back and listen to the screams and count the xp as it rolls in.

It IS bad design as if you look REALLY closely you will see TWO thieves stacked up ALMOST on top of each in the doorways. The scripting in that area is REALLY bad!

http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3793&dateline=1187636  783
Micah Foehammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2003, 10:13 PM   #5
NobleNick
Quintesson

BOOM! BOOM!! Ka-a-a-A-A-BOOM!!!

SSSssssssssssszzzzz....

Sniff, sniff... Ah, the smell of hapless scripting errors roasting by cave light...

What's a party,
without a song?
Bards ROCK!
Party on!!
NobleNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2003, 08:22 PM   #6
moiraine sedai
Zhentarim Guard

Just cast dispel invisibility. Worked for me, because that way you can engage them in close combat.

Just don't rest near the barred doors. Because when you rest, sometime the whole party moves, and in one of my games half my party got stuck until we could rest ourselves out.

Cheers,

Moiraine Sedai
Old 08-27-2003, 05:00 PM   #7
Malavon's Rage
Elminster

Quote:
Originally posted by Lymond:
Spoiler

I'm playing IWD for the second time and I'm in lower Dorm's Deep, the Northeast section of the main area, where there are those boarded up buildings. And, for the second time, there are visible theives in front of some of the buildings that attack my party as I approach- according to the dialogue box- but never move. Similarly, I can try and attack them, but the attack never goes through. To experiment, I've used some area spells and the theives can take damage. Otherwise, we're pretty much at a standoff until I walk away. They don't follow and everyone is happy.

Has anyone else experienced this? I suspect it's a glitch in my "theivesnearthebuildingsinlowerdormsdeep" file because this is the second time I've experienced this. Since playing the first time, though, I've added HOW and TOLM, so I would think my patches are updated. Another oddity is that not all the theives on this level have this problem.

Thoughts?

Lymond
I've had the same experience, just kill 'em all