Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-28-2001, 06:37 PM   #1
Gabriel
Emerald Dragon

I just spend two days preparing my home page, scanning a few photos, 'acquiring' a few little bits I liked from other sites, up loaded the lot and then I go to start the work of putting it all together and balm-oh it all gone! After a lot of 'choice' words and references to Angelfire's factious mother I calmed down enough and checked my mail to find one saying that it had been closed down because I was remote linking stuff to another site. Now here the parts were I came to the conclusion the universe decided to use me as it's whipping boy, I only ever remote linked once to here for a single post. Now what are the chances that someone would enter that one thread, right click my pictures to find there address and report me?
Now here the bit were it kicks me when I'm down, for lack of space none of this stuff is saved on my computer, karmicly speaking I must of done some thig really bad for all these to happen especially seeing how the only reason I remote linked in the first place was to as to show LadyZekke a few of the Mia Shiranui gifs I found when the one in her signature broke down.

------------------

You don't need pants for the victory dance becuase I am better then Weasels!!
HADDOCK!!!!
Beware the Mod' Squad the bad hair is everywhere.
I knew a girl from a world, across the planner deep, and to her place, to see her face, across the void I creep, through time went by and long I tried, to satisfy my lust no matter where I touched, 'twas not enough to please my Succubs.
Old 09-28-2001, 06:55 PM   #2
DragonMage
20th Level Warrior

It's simply the Kharmic curse of 'the good guy finishes last'. I sure hope you can recover some of your stuff and rebuild without as much hassle as it seems it's going to be.

btw - Did you come up with the "I knew a girl..." quote/poem or is that from a book or something?

------------------

The day we stop learning is the day we start dying!(c)

Owner/operator of the Evil Petting Zoo and devout member of the HADB clan.
Commander of the Dragon Fleet, IW Peacekeeping Force
Sublime Sister of the Illuminati - may the Light shine forever!
Mage extraordinair.
Occasional minion to Gwhanos the Fluffy

Hopeless Romantic *sigh*

"Allright! We'll call it a draw."
Old 09-28-2001, 07:13 PM   #3
Gabriel
Emerald Dragon

Yep, the good guy finishes last syndrome strike again.
The poem cropped up in a in-game converstaion in my BG2 game between Keldon and Yoshi, I liked it and so put it in my signature.

------------------

HADDOCK!!!!
I knew a girl from a world, across the planner deep, and to her place, to see her face, across the void I creep, through time went by and long I tried, to satisfy my lust no matter where I touched, 'twas not enough to please my Succubs.
Old 09-28-2001, 07:49 PM   #4
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Gabriel:
I just spend two days preparing my home page, scanning a few photos, 'acquiring' a few little bits I liked from other sites, up loaded the lot and then I go to start the work of putting it all together and balm-oh it all gone! After a lot of 'choice' words and references to Angelfire's factious mother I calmed down enough and checked my mail to find one saying that it had been closed down because I was remote linking stuff to another site. Now here the parts were I came to the conclusion the universe decided to use me as it's whipping boy, I only ever remote linked once to here for a single post. Now what are the chances that someone would enter that one thread, right click my pictures to find there address and report me?
Now here the bit were it kicks me when I'm down, for lack of space none of this stuff is saved on my computer, karmicly speaking I must of done some thig really bad for all these to happen especially seeing how the only reason I remote linked in the first place was to as to show LadyZekke a few of the Mia Shiranui gifs I found when the one in her signature broke down.

Well I don't know anything about sigs or Angelfire or how you got those sigs the other night to show me. But I WILL say I never right clicked on them. I copied the URLs of course to use them as an alternative sig for a bit. Never "reported" anything to anyone. I know that yesterday I came on and saw two threads from www something guy, and he had a ton of those sigs you showed me up all over the place. They don't appear to be showing today, just that white square with the red X in the middle.

------------------
Old 09-28-2001, 08:14 PM   #5
DragonMage
20th Level Warrior

Gabriel, may I suggest that you go and delete that post on the other thread. I don't think he's aware that what he did affected you. I doubt if he is aware of the consequences. Please don't jump to conclusions. Also, if you don't edit that out, you could be banned as Ziroc isn't putting up with that anymore. No flames like that in particular.

I know you are mad, but I really don't think this guy did it intentionally. Just simple ignorance of the rules and regulations.

------------------

The day we stop learning is the day we start dying!(c)

Owner/operator of the Evil Petting Zoo and devout member of the HADB clan.
Commander of the Dragon Fleet, IW Peacekeeping Force
Sublime Sister of the Illuminati - may the Light shine forever!
Mage extraordinair.
Occasional minion to Gwhanos the Fluffy

Hopeless Romantic *sigh*

"Allright! We'll call it a draw."
Old 09-28-2001, 08:49 PM   #6
Ladyzekke

Yeah, try to take it easy Gabriel. Shite, I know you are pissed, I would be too. So sorry that all that happened just because you were trying to help me Dunno what happened, maybe it was all something done inadvertently by another? Is that possible? Or did your e-mail say it was actually reported from a person?

------------------
Old 09-28-2001, 09:01 PM   #7
Tobbin
Red Dragon

Ok, I was coming in to check up on how my links were working and saw this. I'm sorry that you found out about Angelfire's policy the hard way Gabriel, but nobody turned you in. You see, whenever you have a link to a pic in here, it has to go to the server to find the image. That's what turned you in. On the servers, they have inventory on what files are requested directly or indirectly. The message that you received was probably from an autobot. That's the main reason that I don't use Angelfire. It's also why I don't use Geocities too. Oh, and here is the clicker, believe it or not, but Angelfire and Geocities are both the same. They are just different sides of the same server. I wrote a really nasty letter to Geocities and they replied back to me with what I just told you above. They stated that the TOS warn members of this policy, and that they do tolerate a certain amount. I would think it's because of the pic that you loaded though and because we have a larger customer base in here than normal why it was only a couple of days. I was trying to explain this to Ladyzekke yesterday when we were discussing the pic you posted, cause she was sure that she remembered the link correctly, but it wasn't coming up. My recommendation is to find another provider that doesn't have that policy, because it's a time bomb waiting to happen. That's the main reason that I back up all my graphic files now. I've been using AOHell as my provider and they have NEVER given me any problems with content. I believe Road Runner may be the same, but I'm not sure. I'm sure others could offer recommendations. Good luck to you Gabriel, and I am truly sorry that you had to go through all this too. It can be a very painful reminder that nothing is absolute.

------------------

Protectorate of the OHF
Death Waits 4 U ALL
Old 09-28-2001, 09:42 PM   #8
Ladyzekke

Ah, I THINK I see what you are saying Tobbin. Yeah we discussed this last night on MSN, but much of it went over my head LOL, cause I am just inexperienced in these types of things, but I am learning. I just feel like shite though that all that info and data got zapped from his computer, because he was trying to help me. And he Did! I started the evening depressed, because no sig, and he really cheered me up, I had a blast all evening looking at all his different pics! Sucks man! I hope your info helps him out re future endeavors. Gabriel, again, I am sorry my friend, I know I had nothing to do with what happened to you, but I still feel responsible in an inadvertent way, if there is any way I can do a favor for you, please let me know OK?

FFFFFF

------------------
Old 09-28-2001, 10:26 PM   #9
Tobbin
Red Dragon

Well, I know this won't help out for what you lost Gabriel, but if you make up another webpage and you want a backup, let me know and I can store it on my HD. I have around 10 Gigs still free.

------------------

Protectorate of the OHF
Death Waits 4 U ALL
Old 09-29-2001, 08:13 AM   #10
Gabriel
Emerald Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Tobbin:
Ok, I was coming in to check up on how my links were working and saw this. I'm sorry that you found out about Angelfire's policy the hard way Gabriel, but nobody turned you in. You see, whenever you have a link to a pic in here, it has to go to the server to find the image. That's what turned you in. On the servers, they have inventory on what files are requested directly or indirectly. The message that you received was probably from an autobot.....

Tobbin, I still think that someone turned me if only because of the sheer speed at which it happend, I created the site barely 3 days ago and last time it took months for them to discover that I was linking the old Trias pic to here.
Also the two that Ladyzekke expressed an interest in I tranfered to a another free site (they allow one crappy page with one image for free but the rest you have to pay for) because I knew that they would be at the end of all of her posts, so I figured that because it was just in one spot that I had some time. Hence the reason I was so angery when I saw what W had done.
Also the letter I recived from them did not have a 'do not reply this is an automated email' line in it, and contained a name at the bottom mind you looking at it, it may of been automated.
Thanks for the offers of help but there nothing really that you can do, I'll just have start again somewhere else.

Btw LadyZekke I think your big word part of your signature is up and running again.

------------------

HADDOCK!!!!