Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 05-08-2004, 12:50 AM   #11
steveum
Dungeon Master

I Use Zone alarms i suggest it but like alomost all firewalls its sooo friggin annoying!!!!!

i wish i had one carefree firewall.
Old 05-08-2004, 04:05 AM   #12
philip
Galvatron

Quote:
Originally posted by VulcanRider:
If you want to test how well it works, go to the Gibson Research site www.grc.com and click the ShieldsUP link. It runs a set of tests on your connection that will give you an idea of how vulnerable you are to attack.
Thanks for the link! My router and sygate firewall kept everything out [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-08-2004, 02:41 PM   #13
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

Quote:
Originally posted by steveum:
I Use Zone alarms i suggest it but like alomost all firewalls its sooo friggin annoying!!!!!

i wish i had one carefree firewall.
Try symantec! It's very passive, which I like. However, when it pops up in your face, you need to pay heed, because something is happening or attempting to happen.

On the Gibson site I'm not there, complete green (stealth) or blue (closed ports). Just the way I like it.

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy
35th President of The United States

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Jesus died for our sins, and American Soldiers died for our freedom.

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Old 05-08-2004, 05:31 PM   #14
VulcanRider
Lord Soth

Harkoliar -- basically you want your computer to be invisible. If somebody probes your machine you don't want them to get in, and it's even better if your machine doesn't send them any information at all. It sounds like you're close, but still have a few ports open that people could use to gain entry. The tricky part is figuring out if you actually need them for something, 'cause you might be running some program that requires them to be open.

AFA being 1 in a million, that doesn't protect you as much as you would think. There are script kiddies who scan large blocks of I.P. addresses, thousands at a time, looking for any that respond. Once they find one, they have pre-written utilities that probe for specific weaknesses. They don't care if you're a billion $$ company or a home user, you're nothing but an active I.P. address to them. That makes you a target.

If you've got an hour to kill, that WWW.GRC.COM site has a page describing a denial of service attack they got hit with 2 - 3 years ago. It does a good job of explaining how these script kiddy utilities work, and how some punk kid (did I say that out loud?) can take over your machine.

-----
Help feed animals in shelters with just a mouse click at The Animal Rescue Site !!
Old 05-08-2004, 08:13 PM   #15
Bozos of Bones
Apophis

I got Sygate, but I tested it and it showed that only one port is open, the rest are stealth. How do I regulate that one port(Report from ShieldsUP: One or more unspecified Distributed COM (DCOM) services are opened by Windows. The exact port(s) opened can change, since queries to port 135 are used to determine which services are operating where. As is the rule for all exposed Internet services, you should arrange to close this port to external access so that potential current and future security or privacy exploits can not succeed against your system.)?
Old 05-08-2004, 09:01 PM   #16
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

hmm... in fact.. i do use several programs that allow me to be in the net all the time. i only have one port open i think. so this is going to take time figuring out which one is open at all.

Catch me if you can..
Old 05-09-2004, 10:47 AM   #17
Intrepid
Symbol of Cyric

http://www.angryziber.com/ipscan/
shows just how easily ip addresses can be scanned for and open ports found, 1 in a million isn't such a small number