Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 10-09-2001, 12:27 AM   #1
Discopalace
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I don't seem to get much out of having more than one priest in my party (Anomen and Jaheira). Healing spells are kinda useless (except for an occasional full heal for during combat or a resurrection), since the regeneration items let you make up HP without sleeping. Most of the good protection spells seem to be mage spells! Does anyone use two clerics with much proficiency?

I think next time (I'm still on my first time), I will have just one cleric, 5 tank-types, and 2 players with mage spells Seems that melee damage rules in this game. Maybe something like kensai/mage (assuming I stick with this), Keldorn, Mazzy, Minsc, Anomen, and Imoen. Maybe they can kill all my opponents before a priest can cast a spell

Edit: upon thinking about it a little more, it's nice to have another spellcaster to summon crap, especially for tough battles. So maybe 3 characters with mage skills! Hmmm, now it makes it quite tempting to get Aerie since she can swing both ways (even though she's a wuss!). And she reminds me of some naive friends...

[This message has been edited by Discopalace (edited 10-09-2001).]
Old 10-09-2001, 12:34 AM   #2
Nanobyte
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Think of it like this. If you were sent to a foreign country to combat against an enemy, would you rather have one Medic or multiple ones? When you think about it, you could use all the Healing spells you can get.
Old 10-09-2001, 01:41 AM   #3
Mitro Jellywadder
Quintesson

Clerics are great at blowing up the undead you encounter later
in the game. Mass cures help alot in the heat of the battle
to help your 5 bruisers. Tank one up and use him/her
for a fighter.
Old 10-09-2001, 01:59 AM   #4
Desuma_Malevois

Jaheira and Anomen can both tank with the best of them if given the proper equipment (really true of almost any character) and each has different abilities that can make them useful to your party. Anomen has the "turn undead" ability. Jaheira not only can summon fire elementals at an early stage but also can cast one of the best "mage buster" spells in the game - Insect Plague. You say that most of the good protection spells are mage spells, but quite a few of those may only be cast upon the spellcaster. Cleric/druid protection spells for the most part are for anyone.

Old 10-09-2001, 06:46 AM   #5
Epona
Zartan

Oooh - I wouldn't fancy playing without a cleric.
OK, at higher levels the lesser healing spells are a bit redundant, but there are several good points about a cleric:

Can tank
Can turn undead
Use your cleric for dispel magic/invisibility and save your mage spell slots for offensive spells
Great offensive spells at higher levels, esp. against undead
Chant gives bonuses to the whole party - useful before a tough fight
Remove fear

And for druids:
Dispel magic/invisibility to save your mage's spell slots
Insect Plague (IMO the best way to disrupt enemy spellcasters - also causes panic)
Summon Fire Elemental
Bless gives bonuses to the whole party
Remove fear

------------------

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.

Epona of The Laughing Hyenas
Proud winner of the 'Most Useless Post 250 Has Ever Seen' Award 2001. "I'd just like to thank my friends and family, without whom none of this would have been possible..."
Old 10-09-2001, 07:27 AM   #6
Sigmar
Unicorn

I find clerics useless, dual them to a fighter and then they become much better.

------------------
NO ONE HAS EVER SAID I WAS FAIR-Death
Sigmar-Knight of HADB and Lady Lioness
Old 10-09-2001, 07:44 AM   #7
Sparhawk
Quintesson

If I dual a Cleric...to fighter...can I still use the spells he has or are they wasted...I´m thinking of dualling my cleric...lvl.12 to a fighter ´cause of the more profiencies slots he can have in the sam weapon...and then use him as a tank...he doesn´t seem to be that good p.t. his thaco with the warhammer is only 2...that´s a bit high...
Old 10-09-2001, 08:43 AM   #8
StarVid
Elminster

I wouldn't dual the cleric. I'm going to keep one in the party (Vic for me), and I also plan to keep Jah (for her summons and insect plague). Granted, I can't turn undead, because Vic is evil, but boo-freakin-hoo, I'll just have to kill them. I'd recommend at least one full cleric in the game (Aerie doesn't count). You can Tank Vic with the Crom Feyr (sp?) I heard and she works well. This is going to my party configuration:

Minsc
Jah
Vic
Myself (wild mage or Sorceror)
Yoshimo->Jan

I know that Keldorn would probably be more useful than Minsc, but I don't think he fits into the storyline as well. That's also mainly why I'm choosing Vic over Anomen. Futhermore, I only have 5 members because I don't want to have to drop someone when I pick up a NPC needed for a quest (rescuing Haer Dalis, Valygar and the Planar sphere, etc.) and I also will level up a slight bit faster.

Then again, I've yet to complete chapter 3, so what do I know?
Old 10-09-2001, 08:45 AM   #9
H. Sedai

I like priests/clerics because of hold person/undead/monster. I also like Rigid thinking. It works well with the situations I've been in.

------------------
"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
-Robert McCloskey

Old 10-09-2001, 08:48 AM   #10
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Personally, taking ToB into consideration... I would prefer dualling from a Fighter to a Cleric.

You can dual at level 13 and still gain all your Clerical spells. You can have Grandmastery in a weapon.

You start the game with 6*, you will gain another 2* before you dual.

[I]I recommend dualling at level 12, there is no real benefit waiting till 13, the only difference is 1 Hp and 1 THACO. Up to you ultimately though.[/b]

A Fighter_Cleric with Grandmastery in Warhammers( Crom Faeyr) is a sight to behold. Slap a Regeneration spell, maybe add a Blade Barrier, and if things get hairy, retreat for a moment to cast a Heal spell.

Not to mention your Turn Undead which will cause the undead to... well, stay dead.

If you do not have ToB, then I recommend dualling at level 9 instead.