Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-13-2002, 09:42 AM   #1
Snitzella
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I just finished NWN singleplayer adventure, and I have too admit, that I am a little bit disapointed. I am a big fan of BG and SOA with the add on ToB and I was aware of, before i started NWN, that It was a different game and not a BG3. First I think, that the story in the singleplayergame was a bit thin I didn’t find it so exiting and I was always looking forward to see if the next chapter could bring a little more exitement. I didn’t feel that I eas actually in a world because I couldnt go where I wanted, I had too finish chapter 1 before moving to chapter 2 and it wasn’t possible to go back to ex. Neverwinther when entering chapter 2 or 3. The things i liked in BG and SOA was the sidequests witch made it possible to travel around between many maps feeling that you where actually in forgotten realms. Second i think that the battles was to easy, and that made the game too mutch hack and slash and too little tactics ( I played by AD&D hardcore rules). Third I was missing having companions with personality, dialog and inventory. The henchman thing anoid me a little because You didn’t need them at all, often they were just in the way. I used Tomi with missile weapon almost the intire game and he was usefull in the beginning to disarm traps and open locks but as time went by it was easyer just to bash the chests myself and you could easy survive the traps. I didn’t have the feeling that I was a “person” in the game and I think that the main reason was the dialogs with the partymembers missing. I think that roleplaying is a big part of AD&D and I missed that in NWN. I also think, that not having a party and only collecting things to my own character and not to my party was a flaw in the game. I played a paladin with greatsword so I was only looking fore good armors, greatsword, gauntlets and belt that added to strength etc. And all the others very good things i found in the game fx. Brazers of dexterity +5 was just gold, witch I had plenty of. Fouth I think that the dungeouns was too mutch the same. The caves all looked alike and the same for the castle dungeouns, crypts etc. This was just some thoughts and I am woundering if I am being to negative or anayone else feel the same about NWN?
Snitzella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2002, 01:13 PM   #2
Lady Blue03
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Well, each to their own i suppose. I love the game.
Old 07-13-2002, 02:57 PM   #3
masteraleph
Elminster

I have to agree, just a bit, with snitzella...While NWN has some great features, and the graphics are incredible, there's a...feel that's missing. BG/BG2 had the feeling, at least to me, that you were playing a PnP game on the screen, albeit with characters with crazy stats. NWN makes me feel more like Diablo...I point my Paladin in the right direction, and then my henchman does something on his own, like cast spells or something...in BG/BG2 I always got rid of the AI, but here you seem to need it, and i really don't like that.
masteraleph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2002, 03:09 PM   #4
Attalus
Symbol of Bane

I love the game, but will have to admit that I loved BG/BGII more, just because of the cameraderie and interaction with the NPC's. This game is a lot more like PS:T in that you have to go to places in order. I really hated it that you couldn't go back to Neverwinter whenever you wanted. Why the hell not? But, greaat graphics, and I think that Aribeth's saga is worthy of inclusion in the Great NPC's List.
Old 07-13-2002, 04:26 PM   #5
Calaethis Dragonsbane
Legion Symbol

I dont like the 3rd person attitude in my jornal... it didnt feel...personal enough... and that kinda sucked. I like to think that when Ive made MY character kill something for instance, it WAS my chacrater, not 'adverturers'. still like the game, but I miss being able to move around like I could in SOA; ie, one chaper, u can go to 'x' place, but in the next to could only go to 'y'. if u get my meaning. still a great game. a pity Bioware didnt put more effort into single player.
Calaethis Dragonsbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2002, 07:11 PM   #6
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

hmmm...it could have more battles, make the figth more fast and furious, make more dungeons , make more monster, more quest, put romance ( where you can get married ), put better music, and please make those dragons a lot bigger!
Kakero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2002, 08:20 PM   #7
Deathcow
Elminster

Yes, they all look like midget dragons. [img]smile.gif[/img] They should take up a good portion of the screen when fully zoomed out.
Deathcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2002, 01:49 AM   #8
Tyrion
Quintesson

Well...I see what you all are saying but I have heard alot that NWN is a multiplayer game above all else. The creators must have put alot more effort in making the Dungeonmaster mode and the map editor. I hope I get cable internet connection soo so I can check it out!
Old 07-14-2002, 02:24 PM   #9
Evergreene
The Magister

I just finished today. I agree with the original poster. This game was not like the "choose your own adventure" that I love so much, which i think BG 1 and was. It was a different game altogether really, but still i prefer the BG "type" of game. The plot was too simple, and alignment seemed to not play a big part of the choices i made.

The dungeons all did look the same, except the fire giant Lair, which i enjoyed, it had a real sense of danger. There was way too little diversity between the dungeon and home "decor". I missed a sense of "building a team" as BG had. I also agreed with the feeling of "what a waste" upon having to sell the sweet daggers and longswords i found, as i always play a cleric protagonist and would have given those to my tanks.

It was enjoyable, but i also think it was too easy, there were dungeons where i went straight through without having to rest a single time. No battle called for a specific set of special spells to be memorized just for that battle. My standard set of spells got me through anything ( a mix of summoned creatures, buffs and damage spells) I saw a post on psionics here and thought i was going to go up against some mind-flayers, but it never happened.

Im going to explore multi player and maybe check out some player-made modules!
Evergreene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2002, 06:35 PM   #10
taproot
Elite Waterdeep Guard

what is SOA? How do you feel this game compared to icewind dale, I often hear bg1 and bg2 referred to together, somehow IWD always gets left out. I've only played IWD and I loved it. building a party definitely makes the game more enjoyable.