Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-10-2001, 05:50 PM   #41
catzenpewters
Manshoon

I can't say my beliefs are strong one way or another. I believe in life after death - I don't know why. If I'm wrong, it hasn't hurt me any. I believe in heaven, or something like it. I do not believe in hell. I'm open minded on reincarnation - it's not something I believe happens but then it wouldn't surprise me either.

I guess we'll all find out one day. But I'm not going to worry about it - I live my life for this life; I'll live the next one (if there is one) for its own.
catzenpewters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2001, 07:43 AM   #42
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Originally posted by Fljotsdale:
Friends?

Always were.

------------------
I am the walrus!.... er, no hang on....

A fair dinkum laughing Hyena!
Yorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2001, 06:58 PM   #43
adam warlock
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
Originally posted by Lady Avalon:
How many of you believe that your soul passes on to the other side and you have the option of being reborn again (into a different body of course)? What do you believe happens after you die?

errr... um....

first of all, I'm a firm believer of deja vu....

so I'm all for reincarnation.

in my point of view, I say nothing much until you experience the effects of birth all over again.

adam warlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2001, 05:10 AM   #44
Dreamer128
Dracolisk

The bible was wrong about so much, why would they be right about heaven?
Also why would we go to heaven an not all the other living beings like plants and animals, whats suppose to happen to them?
I think god is the good in every person not some mythical person upstairs.
People believe in an afterlive only because they want to believe it so badly that the´re unwilling to see the truth.
Of course i cannot be 100% sure, since there are still so many questions.
Like why is there time or even reality or anything at all.

[This message has been edited by Dreamer128 (edited 05-12-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Dreamer128 (edited 05-12-2001).]
Dreamer128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2001, 05:59 AM   #45
Fljotsdale
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreamer128:
The bible was wrong about so much(they even claimed the world was flat), why would they be right about heaven?
Hate to contradict, Dreamer128, but actually the bible does NOT say the earth is flat! If my memory is correct, it only comments on the matter once,(outside of Genesis) and it says, quite specifically that the earth is a globe that hangs upon nothing. I'll go check the ref, then come back and edit this

Back again.
My memory was slightly amiss, but not much. Two places:
Isaiah 22:40 'There is one who is dwelling above the circle of the earth..' Footnote reading in my bible says of 'circle': "denotes globe (*), rather than flat plane"
(*)O' course, that could just be the interpretation this particular edition of the bible chooses to put upon it..! I don't know, not being a reader of ancient Hebrew!
Job 26:7 '..he is hanging the earth upon nothing..' A bit different from other ancient beliefs that the earth is held up by a god or an elephant! Quite 'modern', in fact!
Sheesh... and I'm a non-believer! I DO like a resonable degree of accuracy, though, lol!

------------------
Smile! Life is too short for bitching!

Fljotsdale

[This message has been edited by Fljotsdale (edited 05-12-2001).]
Fljotsdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2001, 06:54 AM   #46
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
The bible was wrong about so much(they even claimed the world was flat), why would they be right about heaven?
Also why would we go to heaven an not all the other living beings like plants and animals, whats suppose to happen to them?
I think god is the good in every person not some mythical person upstairs.
Dreamer Fjlotsdale is quite correct, the Bible indeed says the earth is round. The Bible is actually a collection of books, some historical, others poetry, others letters. The historical works are considered extremely accurate because they detail the negative actions and consequences of it's peoples, something other works of say the Assyrians did not. These only wrote of the sucesses. In some books seemingly pointless measurements and lineages are given, that do nothing other than to highlight the dedication to accuracy and honesty on the behalf of the writers.

Additionally, there are works from differing writers from various periods that concur with one another, which is why they are so helpful. It's like the same story from more than one angle sometimes.

You really should research such a statement before uttering it. Would generations of millions have trusted a book that was pure fancy? It has stood the test of time. There is no doubt a the person Jesus existed. Muslim, Christian, and Jewish history all agree on that. The controversy is whether he was God or not. 500 or more eyewitnessed his ascension. Why do we choose not to believe what 500 saw? Times passage? Why do we accept as fact the writings of Herodotus as opposed to say Moses, merely because we disagree with the theological implications?

I for one do not perceive God as a bearded dude on a throne upstairs, but as an all pervading awareness that does indeed reside within us if we so desire it.

[This message has been edited by Yorick (edited 05-12-2001).]
Old 05-12-2001, 07:29 AM   #47
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Adam, I have read that deja vu is actually the effect of one half of your brain receiving information the slightest nanosecond after the other, giving the sensation of "being here", "seeing this", "thinking that" before. Indeed you did. A nanosecond before, not necessarily in a previous life.

------------------
I am the walrus!.... er, no hang on....

A fair dinkum laughing Hyena!
Old 05-12-2001, 09:18 AM   #48
adam warlock
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
Originally posted by Yorick:
Adam, I have read that deja vu is actually the effect of one half of your brain receiving information the slightest nanosecond after the other, giving the sensation of "being here", "seeing this", "thinking that" before. Indeed you did. A nanosecond before, not necessarily in a previous life.

yeah but can you make it go away? they are getting worse!
adam warlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2001, 12:47 PM   #49
Dreamer128
Dracolisk

O.k i was wrong, sorry.
Only read the bible once (and im not planning on doing it again any time soon).
I will edit the post.
Dreamer128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2001, 12:54 PM   #50
Fljotsdale
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Quote:
O.k i was wrong, sorry.
Only read the bible once (and im not planning on doing it again any time soon).
I will edit the post.
Dreamer, no need to edit. Anyway, if you have read the bible once that is more than most people have done! All credit to you!

------------------
Smile! Life is too short for bitching!

Fljotsdale
Fljotsdale is offline   Reply With Quote