Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 09-23-2003, 11:46 AM   #11
Vampire

Quote:
Originally posted by TX_Chris:
What are you talking about!? Woman have been in the backround of society for centuries, i mean it hasn't even been that long since woman got the right to vote, ofcourse the world has progressed in the past 50 years much faster than ever before but still if you look back woman doctors started to appear around the late 19th century and early 20th century just because before then they were thought to be too innocent and pure to become doctors. So if you think about it, it hasn't been that long since then so you shouldn't be shocked if the statistics show a higher percentage of men acheiving "academic breakthroughs" than woman. It'll be a long time before the world is fully equal.
Thats not saying that woman don't get high ranking jobs, just that there are still people that are stuck in that ancient mind set
Dude, you must be living in a different world.
From where I am standing, there are women scientsist everywhere. Yet, all breakthroughs are made by men. We are talking about this year 2003. Not 1800s
Old 09-23-2003, 11:52 AM   #12
TX_Chris
Dungeon Master

you're thinking about something totally different, i'm trying to say that it hasn't been that long since woman scientists have been around, not that there aren't any now, there's probably equally as much woman scientists as men, if you want to know why the havn't accomplished as much academic breakthroughs then i simply don't know
Old 09-23-2003, 12:10 PM   #13
Melusine
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by Avatar:

It is often wrong to blame men for a lot of the things.

Take my mother for example. Let's pray that she doesn't read this.

She spends most of her time thinking about what she has to cook tonight, whether she looks okay in the mirror and various other things unrelated to work.

Girls are just girls... [img]smile.gif[/img]
Ofcourse we get girls who care less about these things, and concentrate more on work. But the majority don't. And compared to men, girls are more vain.

Which I think is great, because I really don't like girls who don't know how to take care of their image.

[img]graemlins/jawdrop.gif[/img] You have GOT to be kidding. You've just demonstrated the kind of ridiculous attitude that some women still have to battle in the workfield and that stops some of them from getting as far as men.*
Women are vain, spend more time on how they look and what to cook and therefore have less time to do scientific research? That is just so amazingly sexist! Especially the addition that you're glad women are vain because you "dislike girls who don't know how to take care of their image"!
My goodness...

First, FYI I manage to be both one of the best students in my class AND look good. [img]tongue.gif[/img] I get up, I put on my mascara and my frilly skirt, and then I do some serious reading of Donne, or decipher and transcribe a few seventeenth century letters [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Oh, and my boyfriend and I split household tasks equally, thanks very much. In fact, thanks to the feminine quality of multitasking, I am actually pondering what I will cook for him tonight, even as I write my only slightly tongue-in-cheek polemic to you.

Second, your stereotyping is just way off. As Willow rightly pointed out, you just cannot draw any conclusions about scientific breakthroughs since NOWADAYS, women have equal opportunities. It's not that far back that what people thought a good woman was one who didn't demand much more education than secondary school, who stayed at home, ran the household and pooped out children on a regular basis. I very highly doubt that women's vainness has anything at all to do with their lack of scientific breakthroughs.

* - Before I get the Testosterone Brigade on my neck, notice the "few" and "some of them". I know a lot has been accomplished in terms of equal opportunities, although, as Willow rightly states, there are still many instances where the woman is expected to work part time and look after the children, while there are far less opportunities for men to become (partial) housemen. But still, just in case it wasn't totally clear, I'm not saying equal opportunities are still non-existent as they used to be. Sometimes it's a glass ceiling or a sexist boss that stops a woman from achieving, sometimes it's her own lack of ambition or a choice to become a full time mother, etc.

[ 09-23-2003, 12:14 PM: Message edited by: Melusine ]
Old 09-23-2003, 12:10 PM   #14
pritchke
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Many studies show that guys 'usually' do better at science, and maths while girls do better at reading, writing, arts, and literature for the most part.

It was like that with me and my sister. She was horrible at math and physics, while I was not so hot at language(English), and French. I was older so my sister had her own tutor. Not that we didn't do well in those studies we just were not interested in them so we didn't do has well as we could.

Lets look at the engineering field, even though equal opportunity exist and they actually try to push girls now to do computer science, and engineering, the classrooms still mostly composed of guys. It isn't that girls can not do well, it is just they are not usually interested in equations and theory behind how the world works.

[ 09-23-2003, 12:18 PM: Message edited by: pritchke ]
Old 09-23-2003, 12:19 PM   #15
Horatio
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:

She spends most of her time thinking about what she has to cook tonight, whether she looks okay in the mirror and various other things unrelated to work.

Ofcourse we get girls who care less about these things, and concentrate more on work. But the majority don't. And compared to men, girls are more vain.

Which I think is great, because I really don't like girls who don't know how to take care of their image.

LMAO! I really hope this is a joke, mate, or you're gonna get a whole load of girls, and probably some guys, come down on you like a ton of bricks [img]graemlins/bricks.gif[/img]
Old 09-23-2003, 12:20 PM   #16
Calaethis Dragonsbane
Legion Symbol

I really don't care [img]tongue.gif[/img] . Everyone’s an individual and is unique! blah blah blah. You've heard it all before. (I hope). Seriously though; what’s the point of this thread? Are you trying to prove something? Statistics can be used to prove anything. In short, why do you care? Don't you have anything better to do then bash the various genders? [img]tongue.gif[/img]

(Yeah, I'm feeling somewhat whimsical today).
Old 09-23-2003, 12:23 PM   #17
pritchke
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Quote:
Originally posted by Horatio:
quote:

LMAO! I really hope this is a joke, mate, or you're gonna get a whole load of girls, and probably some guys, come down on you like a ton of bricks [img]graemlins/bricks.gif[/img] [/QUOTE]He may get some feminist throwing bricks but he does have a point, read my post above. He isn't saying they can't succeed at anything they want, just that they don't have the same interest as a whole.

When it comes to cooking I cook most of the meals, yet my GF does all the baking. As for convincing girls to do science or guys ito music etc. I think we should just support people and let them do what they enjoy.

[ 09-23-2003, 12:29 PM: Message edited by: pritchke ]
Old 09-23-2003, 12:23 PM   #18
Melusine
Dracolisk

Quote:
LMAO! I really hope this is a joke, mate, or you're gonna get a whole load of girls, and probably some guys, come down on you like a ton of bricks [img]graemlins/bricks.gif[/img]
What was that? [img]graemlins/angelwings.gif[/img]

Oh and judging by Avatar's last topic about fat guys hating him, sadly I doubt he is joking.

Edit - Oh and just to clear things up: I absolutely do NOT consider myself a feminist and when discussing literary theories in class I often find myself strongly opposing overly feminist readings of texts. I'm getting tired of the use of the term anyway.

[ 09-23-2003, 12:34 PM: Message edited by: Melusine ]
Old 09-23-2003, 01:02 PM   #19
Horatio
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
Originally posted by Melusine:
quote:
Edit - Oh and just to clear things up: I absolutely do NOT consider myself a feminist and when discussing literary theories in class I often find myself strongly opposing overly feminist readings of texts. I'm getting tired of the use of the term anyway. [/QUOTE]I said nowt I'm just as disgusted as you, but with more emoticons
EDIT: Oh, right. Didn't read the post above.

[ 09-23-2003, 01:03 PM: Message edited by: Horatio ]
Old 09-23-2003, 01:33 PM   #20
Thoran
Galvatron

Many factors here, here's some of the information I've dug up in researching the subject:

Women Develop Faster : Some recent research seems to indicate that women intellectually develop a lot faster (which results in better grades in primary and secondary education), and men catch up later in life. By the prime wage earning years the report claims men have IQ ratings on average 6 points higher.

Lies, Damn Lies, and Statistics : Statistically speaking, men have a wider bell curve when it comes to intelligence... the top 10% and bottom 10% of the intellectual range are almost exclusively male. Women tend to cluster near the middle.

Choice : Many of our brightest women make the choice to become mothers and stay home with children. While the option is more and more open to men, there is still a "Lace Curtain" that surrounds the areas of traditional female power... and it's far more solid than the "glass ceiling" is these days. This will result in a reduction in the number of women that are in a position to make the big contribution.

Choice : From infancy, girls focus on human interaction, and boys focus on mechanical constructs. This has been proven in quite a few studies (although the rad-fems don't want anyone to know it). Boys and girls are hard-wired to have different interests, right from infancy where girls are far more interested in faces than boys. Generally, boys will be drawn to math and sciences, girls to the arts and humanities.

School structure : In the last 30 years schools have been revamped in order to improve the performance of girls, and the process has been a stunning success. Now it's time to do the same for our boys, who are experienceing huge problems in schools all over the western world. I believe that many of the changes made to help girls have inadvertantly hurt boys, in addition the "defanging" of teachers has made it virtually impossible for them to enforce discipline... something that boys absolutely need in order to perform. Finally, we need more male teachers!