Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-06-2002, 03:50 PM   #81
Moni

Quote:
Originally posted by Cerek the Barbaric:
Originally posted by Moni:
"Well maybe things are a little bit different in the North where the anti-black communities make their stance well known and the more intelligent people around them attempt to show respect."

Forgive me if I read too much into this statement, but it certainly seemed to imply (ie - "suggest") that those who didn't "attempt to show respect" were less intelligent. Since you had stated that you refer to blacks as African-Americans out of respect, I assumed you meant that "attempt to show respect" was the same as practicing political correctness.

Ahem....the more intelligent people around them.....the more intelligent people around the the anti-black communities . It looks plain as freaking day to me and everyone else on this end of the monitor. [img]graemlins/1dizzy.gif[/img] Now unless you are part of an anti black community or stand by that anti-black mindset, you shouldn't be at all offended.
Do you see what I said more clearly now that I have had to dissect it and explain myself over something that was straight-out what it was to begin with?

Quote:
AFA "Native Americans" not likely that term themselves....I saw an interesting discussion on Oprah several years ago when several tribal representatives began a protest over the "nicknames" of professional sports teams. They were demanding that teams such as the Braves, Indians, and Redskins change their team nicknames from the current "deragotory" monickers.
During the discussion, Oprah was doing her best to be Politically Correct. She finally asked one female chief "What IS the proper term to use?"
"It doesn't matter", she replied, "They're ALL wrong. The only truly "correct" term to use would be the names for each individual tribe, but our own people don't even know which names are correct."
Without thinking, Oprah immediately replied "If you don't know what to call yourselves, why are you offended by what others call you?"

Good question.
Well isn't a pity those people didn't even know which tribe they decended from. Which tribe did they represent that would have a woman as chief anyway?
I'm part Apache. *shrug*
I could say good on Ophrah for calling them on their own ignorance, but can you prove she stated her response "without thinking" as you said? She is an actress after all and her ultimate goal is to uplift the black community of America while making other races look stupid or have you not noticed that side of her program. Oh yeah, she gives Dr Phil all the praise in the world but well she should, that man can't teach me anything that I haven't already been saying for the last 15 years. Good on her for having him on regularly, this country needs a good swift kick in the a$$ when it comes to blaming others for crap they bring on themselves, not to mention twisting what people say to mean something personally offensive to themselves.

[ 09-06-2002, 03:52 PM: Message edited by: Moni ]