Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 09-04-2002, 12:34 PM   #1
MagiK

Twice now in recent US history people have been in jeopardy of loosing their jobs when using this word in the proper and correct context. People apparently ignorant of the words etymology and meaning have caused one man to loose his position and one teacher to apologise to a parent. This last incident has the offended parent demanding the teacher of a third grade english class be fired for introducing this word in a public school...when apraised of the words defintions she responded that what it meant had no bearing on the fact that the word should never be used.

Ok my thought is..."screw the idiots who are too stupid to understand the word". If an english teacher responsible for teaching kids new vocabulary words cannot use decent and proper english words, how can we even have a language? What word will be stricken from use next? Freedom? Liberty? education?....some people are total boobs.....end of rant.

Ok Amereica (and other nations) lets hear what you have to say!

Old 09-04-2002, 12:36 PM   #2
MagiK

Merriam Websters definition:

Main Entry: nig·gard·ly
Pronunciation: -lE
Function: adjective
Date: 1571
1 : grudgingly mean about spending or granting : BEGRUDGING
2 : provided in meanly limited supply
synonym see STINGY
- nig·gard·li·ness noun
- niggardly adverb

Thought I had better put up the definition before someone started calling for my banning [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 09-04-2002, 12:37 PM: Message edited by: MagiK ]

Old 09-04-2002, 12:39 PM   #3
Sigmar
Unicorn

Quote:
Originally posted by MagiK:

Thought I had better put up the definition before someone started calling for my banning [img]smile.gif[/img]
*presses back on his webpage after pressing the report TOS abuse button*

I'll get you next time you slip up...just you wait

In referance to your earlier question I believe people are too paranoid of the usage of certain words like Niggarly and Gay which should be considered adcceptable when ussed in the right context.

I agree with you 100% Magick

Sorry about the sig.

[ 09-04-2002, 01:12 PM: Message edited by: Sigmar ]
Old 09-04-2002, 12:43 PM   #4
skywalker
Banned User

Ignorance is one of our biggest enemies. I'm with you on this one MagiK.

Mark
Old 09-04-2002, 12:46 PM   #5
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by skywalker:
Ignorance is one of our biggest enemies. I'm with you on this one MagiK.

Mark
Will wonders never cease? hehehe [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 09-04-2002, 12:46 PM: Message edited by: MagiK ]

Old 09-04-2002, 12:52 PM   #6
The Hunter of Jahanna
Emerald Dragon

This is just another example of political correctness taken to a new level of stupidity. IMHO if I had been one of thoes people I would have photo copied the definition of the word , blown it up , and show the offended party just how ignorant they were. Especialy if I was the teacher. It would have delighted me to go to the local news chanel and make the whole school district look like Dan Quale spelling potato.
Old 09-04-2002, 01:00 PM   #7
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Words change as society society changes. The word Gay, as mentioned above, used to mean something totally different. In Lord of the Rings, I beleive the word "faggot" of wood is used. That word now carries a new meaning.

Hell, when I was in Tijuana, learning the Spanish language...I leared that "guila" meant slim or skinny, such as a slender woman. Later, when asked to describe a lady that we were referring to...I said she was "guila". That brought many sounds of alarm and surprise to the company I was speaking to. You see...in Southern Mexico, "Guila" is a whore or slut. The people I was speaking to were from Southern Mexico, and did not realize that I was speaking in "Cachanía", meaning northern slang. I was so embarrassed!

So...if that word you mentioned now carries a new meaning and no longer fits in today's social understandinf...I vote for it to be marked out and left to the History books.
Old 09-04-2002, 01:09 PM   #8
skywalker
Banned User

The word "niggardly" does not carry a new meaning, today. It is, through common ignorance, being connected with the "N" word. Seriously the only connection between the words is "ignorance".
Censoring words out of our language to appease the fools, is wrong.

Mark

[ 09-04-2002, 01:15 PM: Message edited by: skywalker ]
Old 09-04-2002, 01:27 PM   #9
Cerek the Barbaric
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

I would have to agree with Larry on this one, I think.

I understand where you're coming from Magik. I had heard about the incident last year. I was shocked at first until I found out what the word really meant.

And while I think the parent's "logic" for excluding the word is totally ridiculous, I have to agree that there is too much "social stigma" attached to the bastardized form of the word to make it an acceptable.

Even though I knew what it meant, it still sounds "racially insulting" to accuse someone of acting in a "niggardly" fashion.......just the same as the phrase "jewing down the price". I used to use that phrase when talking about vendors at the local flea-market.....until I realized the full connotation of what I was saying.

I don't agree with "political correctness", but I can certainly understand why the word would be offensive, whether intentional or not.

[ 09-04-2002, 02:43 PM: Message edited by: Cerek the Barbaric ]
Old 09-04-2002, 01:52 PM   #10
skywalker
Banned User

The problem really is the thought and feelings that are behind the words. It is the power, anger or bigotry that is brought forth and masked by the words, that is the true problem. Any word can become a hateful tool, coming from a cruel speaker. You don't punish the word, you punish the person who hates.

Mark