Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 10-09-2001, 11:36 PM   #1
Sir Real
Dungeon Master

Okay I be thinking resently, What is it you do? Is it just watching out for Flammers/Trolls and threads that get 'out of hand' (What makes a thread 'out of hand' anyway?). What kind of powers do you get? What kind of action warrents what ever punishment you deliever? Is there some a rule book? IF you were to abuse you powers would another moderator punish you? How did you or do you become a moderator? What the job like? Do you enjoy it? Are these question starting to bug you? How about now?........Now?

------------------
Opinions are not clubs don't beat others with yours.
Old 10-09-2001, 11:40 PM   #2
G'kar

There are rules posted, but i dunno how to post a link, look on the page before the first one i think, a topic started by Ziroc on 10-09-01, it has a link to the rules.

Old 10-09-2001, 11:48 PM   #3
Sir Real
Dungeon Master

G'kar I know the rules, you read them when you join remember, but I am looking for (Along with my other questions) how the Moderators deside that someone has broken one of them that are a liitle ambigous(?) Shall we say like:
Be Courteous: No posting to purposely interfere with normal dialog flow
Would jumping in to ask some a question when to people were talking break that rule? or:
Be Prudent: Before you post a message or question, check and see if this has been discussed before. This forum has a VERY good search engine, and nearly ALL questions have been archived for every game we have forums for.
Do you punish people for asking a question that already been asked?

------------------

[This message has been edited by Sir Real (edited 10-09-2001).]
Old 10-09-2001, 11:52 PM   #4
G'kar

oh yeah, the "I will know if you havent read them notice" at the bottom of the rules page LOL, I wanna know if you dont read them if you actually get an email or sumthing?

Hmmmm I think the 2 rules you quoted are loosely enforced at best, but I dont wanna speak for the mods.

BTW Welcome to the forum Sir Real!

Old 10-09-2001, 11:56 PM   #5
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

G'kar is right.
Let me expound on his wisdom.
The Moderators were selected via referrals from others and from Ziroc's keen eye (or actually Choc.'s), for being law abiding citizens.
They also had a lot to do in regards to helping people.
But not just helping...they knew their stuff pretty well!
Thus, they were called and set apart.

They follow the rules, and Ziroc has given them the right to make judgement calls. They probably all will tell you that those calls are sometimes painful to make, but must be done for the good of us all. I have never seen a moderator get out of line, and never expect to. Ziroc trusts them, so I shall as well. If there was any disputes on a judgment, I am sure that a ruling from Ziroc or a second vote from another Moderator would quickly end the debate. I have never seen a debate based on a questioned call. Thus, All the moderators must be one in mind and heart with Ziroc.
They could be Chocolate's kittens, and the rising generation of the owners of the world for all I know...hehe(it is late night...zzzz)

------------------

3rd Member of the Ancient OHF and Diamond Ranger of the ALSB (secretarial position & Ambassador)
Father of the wicked but cute child known as MaryBeth

Padre de una niña bien traviosa pero guapa
---------------------
Aisukuríimu ga tabetái desu.
Old 10-09-2001, 11:56 PM   #6
Sir Real
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally posted by G'kar:
oh yeah, the "I will know if you havent read them notice" at the bottom of the rules page LOL, I wanna know if you dont read them if you actually get an email or sumthing?

BTW Welcome to the forum Sir Real!
How does that 'I will know' bit work anyway? How long does it give you to read it, I mean if you read fast could you beat the dector thingy? Is there a dector thingy or is Ziroc just trying to scare you into reading them?
Thanks or the welcome!

------------------
Old 10-10-2001, 12:01 AM   #7
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Sir Real,

I'm not a moderator here at IW (just the Official Welcome Wagon!) but I do moderate on Mithril Hall and have been a member since before Memnoch was a moderator here at Ironworks. So I'll have a go at answering most of your questions! Maybe Memsy, Ertai or Sazerac will pop by later.

Moderators are chosen directly by Ziroc (our webmaster and owner of the forum as you probably know). He chooses them for various reasons but mainly because he trusts their judgement. The moderators make decisions based on their perceptions of what is being said/done in a thread. They make judgement calls about whether or not something is appropriate or follows the rules and Ziroc backs their decisions.

To the best of my knowledge, they can lock threads, warn people who are breaking rules, log IP addresses and can recommend banning a member to Z. On the new board, I expect they will also be able to make sticky posts that stay at the top of a thread. Mods don't 'abuse their power'. At least not that I've seen here at IW and if it were to happen, Ziroc would be the one to deal with it, I'm sure.

Cloudy

------------------

Raindancer of the Laughing Hyenas Clan
CloudDragon of the OHF
Storm-Queen
Raven's Cloud
StormCloud of the Black Knight: Heart Mind Soul Forever
"To sleep, perchance to dream..."
Old 10-10-2001, 12:02 AM   #8
Reeka
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Moderators are not perfect, but I think we have some of the best moderators around at IW. I belong to other boards and I would put our moderators up against any mods anywhere.

------------------
Order of the Holy Flame
Member of Clan HADB
Laughing Hyena
Clan Illuminati

Old 10-10-2001, 12:03 AM   #9
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

they are a group of sadistic addictives who have an obssssion for the love of cyber interaction and communication control. they always have those secret long distant gatherings regularly, and they would perform ancient dark rituals such as "ban" or "delete" or "remove" but sometimes they do good stuff too. don't get me wrong, they are NOT your friends.
they study a disciplined religion, that means they excersize emotional control and self restraint. so you will never find cases that you become too personal a friend with them. chances are, if you cross a line, they will be the first people to butcher you while saying: "I am defending you, hon!" (does that remind you someone? )
well... my best advice when encounter them is: run! get the hella outa there before they seriously manipulate you in one way or another. If you see a mod smile at you though, don't let your gaurd down. it could simply mean he is having a good day, or ... he is entertaining something real nasty about YOU. so if a mod say "Your posts have been impressive" "It showed a great maturity." etc etc etc, it mostly means they are trying to have cyber sex with you, the hint is "submit, or die. think about who rulez here."

anyway, one last bit of truth. their all time favorite food is called SPAM. but don't EVER EVER EVRE think you can please them by feeding them spam, beause they just don't seem to have enough of those...

and don't call names when mods are near, they hate competition
Old 10-10-2001, 12:05 AM   #10
G'kar

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Real:
How does that 'I will know' bit work anyway? How long does it give you to read it, I mean if you read fast could you beat the dector thingy? Is there a dector thingy or is Ziroc just trying to scare you into reading them?
Thanks or the welcome!

We'll probably never know...either way accomplishes the purpose, right?
I read them anyway, well worded and well rounded IMO. That post I refered to earlier points out some key no-no's like spamming and signature size, ect.
And utter disrespect (flaming) is grounds for disenigration after an email warning calling for a humble apology. Just kick me if im telling you what you already know. anyway bout my bed time, til next time Sir Real....