Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-09-2001, 04:35 PM   #1
Absynthe

I've been lurking for the past week or so, doing a lot of reading on this forum, and what I see troubles me. I've been reading regularly on this forum for over a year, and the last month or two has seen some big, and in my view, unwelcome, changes.
First, politics and religion are taking center stage. In general discussions these two things have always been around, but not to the extent they are now. And certainly not in the vitriolic vein that is prevalent of late. We have had many lengthy debates and discussions on both subjects, and these have been fruitful and civil. recently, I'm seeing a lot more tempers flaring and otherwise reasonable people becoming terse and nasty.
Second, it seems that many of the long-term board contributors are disappearing or taking long absences. I get the gut feeling that this relates directly to my first observation. Fact is, it's a good part of why I've been quieter than usual lately, I just don't see the point in getting into an argument with my friends.
There are reasons enough for people to be uptight and unhappy in the twenty-first century, and especially in the last month. Worldwide events that have touched, and will continue to touch, every single one of us. I've always looked at this board as a sort of borderless meeting place, without a given nationality or religion, where we can meet to talk and share and play. It saddens me to see that eroding, to see political and religious lines forming, dividing people who were happily jesting with each other just a fortnight ago.
Not that all is dark and dreary at Ironworks, not at all. The clans and story threads are great, there are still people posting jokes and just sharing stories from their lives. I'm certainly not suggesting that anyone stop having opinions or sharing their viewpoints, but I would ask you all to consider what you are saying before you post. Ironworks is, was, and will be the community that we make it. Please consider if what you are doing is contributing to the community that you want to be a part of.
Thanks for listening.

------------------

Old 10-09-2001, 04:38 PM   #2
Neb
Account deleted by Request

I've noticed the same changes Absynthe, many people have left, either for good or just temporarily, the board itself has changed, now, mostly serious threads are posted, compared to the abundance of laughs that you could find earlier, now, hardly anyone is asking about what kind of wood to choose for the table they are making, instead, they're talking about how terrorists should be punished and about whether or not muslims are evil, I'm thinking about leaving, or at least taking a break from, IW, it's just not the same anymore.

------------------
Worshipper of Tiax.
Wielder of the ancient Lawyer spells.
Member of the HADB clan.

Ally of the Fluffy Queen and the Dreaded Red Fluffy
General of the highest class and Leader of the Legal Department in the IW Peacekeeping Force.
ORT member, Official Demander of Stuff.

Sorcerer of Lady Lioness' Court.

"If Silence is golden, why does everyone talk so much?"
Old 10-09-2001, 04:40 PM   #3
demus
Manshoon

Hear, Hear!!

I agree completely Absynthe, Ive noticed the same sorts of things and Iagree with you completely, I just can never find words to express what I see .
Anyway, Thank you very much for posting this Absynthe and I hope people read it and understand what your saying

------------------
Nicodemus Deathslayer, Paladin and Undead Hunter of the Order of the Holy Flame
Old 10-09-2001, 04:44 PM   #4
Neb

You used to see a lot more happy smilies(And smilies in general) in people's posts too.
Old 10-09-2001, 04:47 PM   #5
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

however: I welcome changes as part of life!
Old 10-09-2001, 04:47 PM   #6
Neb

Not all changes are pleasant though.
Old 10-09-2001, 04:48 PM   #7
SSJ4Sephiroth
Beholder

well hopefully we will all live (happily) again... someday. we just need to give it time, the changes are, i hope, temporary. dont want this to turn into some political/religious board, really, as it is the only place i can really escape from that kinda crap here in RL!

------------------
It's simple. Once the Planet is hurt, it gathers Spirit Energy to heal the injury. The amount of energy gathered depends on the size of the injury...What would happen if there was an injury that threatened the very life of the Planet? Think how much energy would be gathered! Ha, ha, ha. And at the center of that injury, wil be me. All that boundless energy will be mine. By merging with the energy of the Planet, I will be come a new life form, a new existence. Melding with the Planet, I will cease to exist as I am now. Only to be reborn as a 'God' to rule over every living soul.

What are you saying? Are you trying to tell me you have feelings now? Ha, ha, ha... Stop acting as if you're sad. And there's no need to act as if you're angry either. Because, Cloud, you are... a puppet.

Super Sephiroth, slayer of the Uber Fluffy, and battle co-ordionator and defender of the HADB clan.
Follower of the mighty Fallen Paladin himself.
Diplomacy is all and well, but HADB is better!
Head of the IronWorks Intelligence Division
Official Soup Server and bumper of Cloudy's Cafe
Possessor of the Aerie Diamond Head from the ALSB.
Page in the Court of Lady Lioness

Stalking the woodlands,
the Lioness in my sight,
warm feelings doth come,
into my lonely heart
Old 10-09-2001, 04:48 PM   #8
Mouse
Ironworks Moderator

I know what you mean and to some extent I agree, but fundamentally, I believe this board is as healthy if not healthier that at any time I can remember.

Some members have moved on - thats life, peoples priorities change. I miss some of the old timers too e.g. Slackerboy, Turbovee, Charlie, Moni etc. etc., but they have been replace by enthusiasitc newcomers. If we all stayed the same, this place would soon lapse into mediocrity.

One day I will disappear too, but I believe that IW will go on. - it's just too much fun to die out.

And as for the topics seeming to be dominated by politics and religion - hey , that's just flavour of the month. If it really depresses you and you want to see a good post....*whispers*...I've got the infamous "Curse Thread"....e-mail me if you want a copy......just don't tell anybody else.......

------------------
Regards

Mouse
(Occasional crooner and all round friendly Scottish rodent)

[This message has been edited by Mouse (edited 10-09-2001).]
Old 10-09-2001, 04:50 PM   #9
Neb

Quote:
Originally posted by Mouse:
I know what you mean and to some extent I agree, but fundamentally, I believe this board is as healthy if not healthier that at any time I can remember.

Some members have moved on - thats life, peoples priorities change. I miss some of the old timers too e.g. Slackerboy, Turbovee, Charlie, Moni etc. etc., but they have been replace by enthusiasitc newcomers. If we all stayed the same, this place would soon lapse into mediocrity.

One day I will disappear too, but I believe that IW will go on. - it's just too much fun to die out.

And as for the topics seeming to be dominated by politics and religion - hey , that's just flavour of the month. If it really depresses you and you want to see a good post....*whispers*...I've got the infamous "Curse Thread"....e-mail me if you want a copy......just don't tell anybody else.......

Well, it's just that IW is simply just not the same without Rudy, Wah and others posting humorous things, the board is simply too serious now, it's not the fun and entertaining place it used to be.
Old 10-09-2001, 04:50 PM   #10
Moridin
Fzoul Chembryl

Hi Absynthe...I like your post, but we must remember that the past month has really tested a lot of our emotions. Most of these debates since Sept 11th have centered around the potential (and now real) US retaliation. It is from this subject that many threads have started. During these discussions it is inevidble that people's religious or personal beliefs start to take center stage, so we start to see many political debates turn to religious debates. Neither is a good debate subject to begin with, so when the two are combined it makes it doubly bad.

I have been irritated at some comments and viewpoints, but I try to remember that I have my views and therefore everyone else is entitled to theirs. Many of us try to veer away from personal attacks, but sometimes an attack on a thought is misunderstood to be an attack on the person and is retaliated by a 'return' attack. It is sad when this happens, because people lose sight of the core of their argument and the argument becomes nothing more than immature "I hate you" "No, I hate you". I fail to see how someone can be so intelligent and articulate in some posts, and so immature and childish in others.

These threads and debates are good however. Not all of us come here for the stories, jokes, clans, and other things. They are ok to read, but without the 'serious' topics, I think I would probably visit less often.
Off soap-box

------------------

Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig
I've got to admit it's getting better, it's getting better all the time
Bossman of Better Funny Stuff.....of the Laughing Hyenas!