Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 06-11-2001, 10:12 AM   #31
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Speaking as a Catholic I am against the death penalty, purely because I believe that life is a gift given to us by God and it is not our right to take it. This is irrespective of what he did, and I don't believe that the death penalty deters these types of crimes.

Having said that, I fully support the maximum allowable punishment to have been given to Tim McVeigh for his crimes which he has been found guilty for. He should have been given life in prison in isolation or doing hard labor in a maximum security prison, NEVER to be released.

May God have mercy on his soul.

------------------
Old 06-11-2001, 10:15 AM   #32
Rikard

If We look at The so calleb "First World" There are 2 countrys who have deathj penalty
thje USA and Canada
Why? coz We Think It's Barbaric
And it is
Does thou bring back a dead by killing his killer?
do you feel better when you have killed someone?
is Death a greater punishment then life in prisonment?
To all these answers i shalth say no
Think about this too
What if somebody is innocent
And this has happen several times
there's no way to reverse death

To be conclusive
I think it's Barbaric
And it should not be allowed
if Murder is being Repaid by murder
Bush should have died 57 times

------------------

The Last Of the Red Fluffies

Member of the Ancients Club (@ age 16 )
High Magician of the Order of the Holy Flame

"Dream a Dreamers Dream And Know It Is But A Dream"

Old 06-11-2001, 10:20 AM   #33
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Donut, excellent, well-thought out post. I will henceforth refrain from needling you about Australia's come-from-behind win against England in the cricket, when England compiled a HUGE total in their innings.

Also, just to remind everyone here, there's no right or wrong with this, and no-one has to "win". We are all entitled to have our points of view.

Just want to make sure no-one takes all this personally.

------------------
Old 06-11-2001, 10:29 AM   #34
Donut
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Memnoch:
Donut, excellent, well-thought out post. I will henceforth refrain from needling you about Australia's come-from-behind win against England in the cricket, when England compiled a HUGE total in their innings.

You wouldn't let it lie would you?

------------------

Save Chip - Don't let Sarah win!
Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas
Old 06-11-2001, 10:30 AM   #35
antonius
Zhentarim Guard

I'll agree with Memnoch on this one and add a disclaimer for in future. I am often told that I don't care about anything. This is almost true. Anything is fair game for discussion or humour. It's easy to forget that other people have a more personal opinion on things.

I just have one final question? Is it over? (and I don't mean our discussion)
Old 06-11-2001, 10:36 AM   #36
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Calm, rational discussion about issues, especially controversial ones, is how we all leverage knowledge from each other. As long as we remember everyone's right to have a point of view, and not take the discussions personally, and remember that it's not about winning or losing about about learning, we can all have a spirited, positive debate!

In answer to your question - yes, it's over. He was pronounced dead about a couple of hours ago AFAIK.

------------------
Old 06-11-2001, 10:43 AM   #37
antonius
Zhentarim Guard

Quote:

In answer to your question - yes, it's over. He was pronounced dead about a couple of hours ago AFAIK.
Not entirely what I meant - I just get a feeling that we've not heard the last of this.
People still talk about the Kennedy assassination nearly 30 years later.

[This message has been edited by antonius (edited 06-11-2001).]
Old 06-11-2001, 10:44 AM   #38
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Speaking as a Catholic I am against the death penalty, purely because I believe that life is a gift given to us by God and it is not our right to take it. This is irrespective of what he did, and I don't believe that the death penalty deters these types of crimes.

Having said that, I fully support the maximum allowable punishment to have been given to Tim McVeigh for his crimes which he has been found guilty for. He should have been given life in prison in isolation or doing hard labor in a maximum security prison, NEVER to be released.

May God have mercy on his soul.

Amen, Maz, amen....
I couldn't have added a thing to your post, you said it all.

Amber

------------------
Raindancer of the Laughing Hyenas Clan
Storm-Queen
StormCloud of the Black Knight: Heart Mind Soul Forever
"To sleep, perchance to dream..."

[This message has been edited by Cloudbringer (edited 06-11-2001).]
Old 06-11-2001, 10:45 AM   #39
Donut
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Rikard:
If We look at The so calleb "First World" There are 2 countrys who have deathj penalty
thje USA and Canada
Why? coz We Think It's Barbaric

Canada abolished capital punishment for ordinary crime in 1974 or 5, and for all crimes in 1998.

The Netherlands abolished the death penalty for ordinary crimes in 1870, had the last execution in 1952 and completely abolished it in 1982.

In 1942 the exiled Dutch government, based in London, changed the law and reintroduced the death penalty for those that had betrayed other people. 156 were convicted and in 1952 , 40 of those were executed.

------------------

Save Chip - Don't let Sarah win!
Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas
Old 06-11-2001, 10:48 AM   #40
Moni

Well if my own two cents is worth anything I would like to say that when a murderer confesses and the law has undisputed truth that the person is actually the murderer, capitol punishment is befitting of the crime.
I do think they let these people off too easy, putting them to sleep and then killing them. I think their deaths should match their crimes.

Timothy McVeigh confessed with no remorse. He deserved worse than what he got.

He was not a lunatic, he was a radical. I actually met him one night when he lived in Tucson. He was not a lunatic. He was, as many young middle class white men are, mad at a government that takes their hard earned wages and gives it to professional welfare families and prisoners to do with it the things they are denied in society without it.

To keep people like this in prison for the rest of their lives is just a drain on the rest of the country's pocketbook and morale.
We here in America pay taxes so that prisoners can get three square meals a day, college educations, have gyms, cable television and libraries. They live better than good moral people who struggle out among society just to get by.

Personally I have been laughed out of offices granting funding for an education beyond High School for being a middle class white girl...behind minorities, refugees, and prisoners, I am the last in line. Its wrong but I won't go around killing other people for it.

I paid for my own college education, struggling to raise a child and keep a roof over my head at the same time. It wasn't easy.

However, a criminal can, in prison, get an education, a college degree, and change their name before their release in order to start life among society anew. With their reccomendations, they can be (and have been) my bosses.

I think the judicial system should rethink what effects they are having on society as a whole when they put criminals in prison. and give them priveledges that they require us to pay for and then let these people out to have better lives than us.

I like the Maricopa County (AZ) Sheriff's method...canvas tents and bologna sandwiches. People don't want to go back.

'nuff said for now.

Moni

------------------

[This message has been edited by Moni (edited 06-11-2001).]