Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-25-2002, 02:30 PM   #1
chevalier mal fet
Dungeon Master

1st time gamers should know this reveals some minor umar hills story elements...

Im sure this would be a pretty rare circumstance, unless youre playing thru the ranger quests, but in taking it for granted that the ranger cabin in the umar hills would be mine, I stashed some items there before it had been "officially" given to me, and when I came back after completing the quests and being awarded the use of the cabin and appointed protector---all the iems I had previously stashed had been overwritten by the new items the villagers had placed ( all the arrows, and darts and bullets). I had foolishly stashed some of kangaxx's body parts there...and now there is no hope for any lich treasure for me this time through...woe is me.

chev
chevalier mal fet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2002, 03:10 PM   #2
TeKNiKaLL
Elite Waterdeep Guard

well thats just kinda shitty [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]
2bad, but its a handy need-to-know tip when restarting BG2
Old 02-25-2002, 03:45 PM   #3
Dragon-Killer
Elite Waterdeep Guard

There is nothing yopu can do to return the items.
Take that as a lesson! never throw away important staff!
Old 02-25-2002, 04:07 PM   #4
Foo
Dungeon Master

Well, if it was me, I'd have no problem using CLUA codes or Shadowkeeper to get back those items that you 'lost' when you got your stronghold. The fact that this happens when you gain your stronghold is a flaw in the game imho.

The same thing happened to me when I got nalia's keep (as a fighter). I thought I could keep all those arrows and flail heads I found in various chests around the place, but the game 're-created' the keep once I had attained it as my stronhold. Of course I didn't bother with the arrows, but I sure did CLUA in those flail heads!!!
Foo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2002, 04:08 PM   #5
Tancred
White Dragon

In case anyone wanted an explanation...

This is down to a simple problem. Every location has an area number assigned to it. Say, for example, that the Umar Cabin Interior was no# 001. When you go throgh the door that is linked to area 001, the computer loads up the map for that area - in this case, the door to the Umar Cabin leads to the Umar Cabin Interior. You place your items in the containers, and when you leave, the computer saves the contents of the area under that number.
Alas, when the cabin becomes yours, in order to MAKE it yours i.e. make those bloody bones disappear and other things, the computer changes the map that entry point connects to, using now 002 - the reference number for the Umar Cabin Stronghold. The 'old' cabin still exists, it simply has no entry points. There are lots of examples of this - the Shade Forest before/after the Shade Lord's dominance, The de'Arnise Castle during the siege/when it becomes your stronghold, and so on. Your items have been swallowed whole by the merciless wiles of Bioware, chevalier.
Mind you, if you're feeling hard-done-by and want the items restored - and you're smart and honest enough to remember exactly what they were - you can always use Shadowkeeper.
Old 02-26-2002, 04:49 PM   #6
andrewas
Harper

quote:
Originally posted by Tancred:
In case anyone wanted an explanation...

This is down to a simple problem. Every location has an area number assigned to it. Say, for example, that the Umar Cabin Interior was no# 001. When you go throgh the door that is linked to area 001, the computer loads up the map for that area - in this case, the door to the Umar Cabin leads to the Umar Cabin Interior. You place your items in the containers, and when you leave, the computer saves the contents of the area under that number.
Alas, when the cabin becomes yours, in order to MAKE it yours i.e. make those bloody bones disappear and other things, the computer changes the map that entry point connects to, using now 002 - the reference number for the Umar Cabin Stronghold. The 'old' cabin still exists, it simply has no entry points. There are lots of examples of this - the Shade Forest before/after the Shade Lord's dominance, The de'Arnise Castle during the siege/when it becomes your stronghold, and so on. Your items have been swallowed whole by the merciless wiles of Bioware, chevalier.
Mind you, if you're feeling hard-done-by and want the items restored - and you're smart and honest enough to remember exactly what they were - you can always use Shadowkeeper.

In that case you should also be able to CLUAConsole yourself to the original ranger cabin. I think. Youd need the code for it though - and I dont have it.