Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-21-2004, 09:42 AM   #31
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Donut:
There are 10 deliberate spelling mistakes in my post, few of which would be picked up by a spell checker. That's one of them.
Yeah, I saw others, but I only mentioned the one that I thought could indicate a difference in culture vernacular. BTW, anyone ever tell you to get a life? I mean 10 deliberate spelling mistakes in a post on the internet indicates a definate need for a hobby.

On the one hand, I recognize that email and the internet are informal means of communication, and do not deserve the level of attention a business letter gets. On the other hand, I see way too many mistakes in writing in my business practice. On the third hand, I see my bosses act as if it's a death knell for me to point out one "more" changed to a "make" in a 10 page document when they produce much more typos, volumetrically speaking. On the fourth hand, l33t speakers need to be dragged outside and shot, but only after making them take 15 years of spelling class -- laziness is laziness.
Old 07-21-2004, 09:56 AM   #32
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Dirty Meg:
Anyone who can only think of one way to spell a word has no imagination.
Paraphrasing Andrew Jackson. [/QUOTE]Huh! Learn something new every day here, I does [img]smile.gif[/img]

I thought that Mark Twain was the originator of that one... and now I know he wasn't.

BTW, I found 9 of the 10. I'll quibble on "practise/practice", since "practice" is regionally correct, just like "colour/color".

So Donut, is #10 Practice, or something else? I'm curiously annoyed now... [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 07-21-2004, 10:00 AM: Message edited by: Bungleau ]
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Old 07-21-2004, 10:11 AM   #33
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

i dont care if you have a towtruck for that line or malign your principal but make sure you dont toe him before diner and desert cuz we all no u cant do a thing with an empty stomach or runnon sentences that have know puntuation a good pastrie can help tho i reely hate when they are like that with all lower case too

[ 07-21-2004, 10:13 AM: Message edited by: Cloudbringer ]
Old 07-21-2004, 11:10 AM   #34
Davros
Takhisis Follower

Half way through I was onto you, but I must have missed two on my first read Donut - I only found 8 . I got 9 and a possible on my second pass. I have to admit it was fun reading through the replies and seeing the number of people that took you to task for only one of your "misatkes".

You are right though in what you are really saying - correct usage and sentence structure are as important as spelling. At least that is what my grammar used to tell me when I was little [img]smile.gif[/img] .
Old 07-21-2004, 03:16 PM   #35
Dirty Meg
Baaz Draconian

Quote:
Originally posted by Bungleau:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Dirty Meg:
Anyone who can only think of one way to spell a word has no imagination.
Paraphrasing Andrew Jackson. [/QUOTE]Huh! Learn something new every day here, I does [img]smile.gif[/img]

I thought that Mark Twain was the originator of that one... and now I know he wasn't.

BTW, I found 9 of the 10. I'll quibble on "practise/practice", since "practice" is regionally correct, just like "colour/color".

So Donut, is #10 Practice, or something else? I'm curiously annoyed now... [img]smile.gif[/img]
[/QUOTE]I thought it was Mark Twain too.
Old 07-21-2004, 03:29 PM   #36
Donut
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Timber Loftis:
:
Yeah, I saw others, but I only mentioned the one that I thought could indicate a difference in culture vernacular. BTW, anyone ever tell you to get a life?
Only you Timber - and I treat that with the contempt it deserves
Quote:
Originally posted by Timber Loftis:
I mean 10 deliberate spelling mistakes in a post on the internet indicates a definate need for a hobby.
DefinItely!!!
[img]\"http://www.wheatsheaf.freeserve.co.uk/roastspurs.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Proud member of the Axis of Upheaval<br />Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas<br />Josiah Bartlet - the best President the US never had.<br />The 1st D in the D & D Show
Old 07-21-2004, 03:36 PM   #37
Donut
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Bungleau:

It may be an American spelling.

This is where I found them

The last one was meant to have been "arguement" but I got the incorrect spelling wrong!
[img]\"http://www.wheatsheaf.freeserve.co.uk/roastspurs.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Proud member of the Axis of Upheaval<br />Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas<br />Josiah Bartlet - the best President the US never had.<br />The 1st D in the D & D Show
Old 07-21-2004, 06:14 PM   #38
Davros
Takhisis Follower

At the very start you use the words "On a recent thread" - should that have more correctly been "In a recent thread"?
Old 07-21-2004, 08:19 PM   #39
Donut
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Davros:
At the very start you use the words "On a recent thread" - should that have more correctly been "In a recent thread"?
Your question mark should have been inside the quotation mark!!!
Old 07-21-2004, 08:42 PM   #40
Illumina Drathiran'ar
Apophis

5 Card Draw Champion
The rules for terminal punctuation in regards to quotation marks vary from country to country and region to region.

http://xkcd.com/386/
http://www.xkcd.com/406/

My heart is like my coffee. Black, bitter, icy, and with a straw.