Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2001, 09:14 AM   #1
Altranan
Dungeon Master

I've played BG2 through a couple of times and am eagerly awaiting ToB, however I've never played BG1 so I thought it would be fun to try and play all three through with the same character, and I wondered if anyone had any advice?
by the way my prefered character is a mage.
Old 07-18-2001, 09:18 AM   #2
Seid
Manshoon

I am a BG2 fan and I just got ToB. It's amazing how many little things and effects they added to make the game even more addictive. I never played BG1, but I think it's not as good as BG2 in the graphics and sound field. But it's up to you.

------------------
You cannot escape the inevitable.
Old 07-18-2001, 09:30 AM   #3
Altranan
Dungeon Master

Yeah I fully intend buying ToB just as soon as I've got some money. I was really more interested in any technical difficulties there may be in transfering a BG1 character to BG2, and whether there were any broad hints on which type of party/characters to play since I imagine BG1 differs tactically from BG2.
Old 07-18-2001, 09:40 AM   #4
Seid
Manshoon

There are no difficulties in transferring characters. The main difference in strategy is that your party is much weaker and can be easily killed by a bear.

------------------
You cannot escape the inevitable.
Old 07-18-2001, 09:57 AM   #5
Bhaal
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Not playing BG1 would be a sin. Are you not keen to find out the history of the characters you have in BG2. The game itself is just as good even if the graphics and sound are slightly not as good, my only problem after playing BG2 was that the play area in BG1 is smaller. And hey, if I can get both BG1 and BG1-TOTSC thogether for NZ$30(About US$20) there is not excuse!
Old 07-18-2001, 09:57 AM   #6
Altranan
Dungeon Master

A bear?! Not a fire-breathing demon bear? Just a bear, like winnie the pooh?
OK in that case is it possible to play BG1 with a character from BG2? (I know the perfectionists might view that as cheating, and so do I, but I don't care )
Old 07-18-2001, 10:03 AM   #7
Bahamut
Iron Throne Cult

*sigh*

i used to go wild and crazy screaming like hell in my chair, "That's an Ogre Mage?!?!?! Oh My Gawd!!!!" Ogre Mages were like hell in BG1... and yes, a bear is very deadly, so watch out!!! Also, in BG1, exp points of 800 or 1000 will make your Jaw drop big time

------------------

Yukishiro Tomoe
Old 07-18-2001, 10:12 AM   #8
Immoral
Elite Waterdeep Guard

To Altranan:

You are right about the tactics being different between BG1 and BG2. In BG2 missile attacks are not that important, (unless you're an Archer ) but in BG1 missile attacks were definately the way to go. Melee in BG1 is much more difficult, due to the fact that your character/party start at level 1 and advancement is rather slow.

So, I would definitely go missile based on most of the party. My party consisted of Khalid, Jaheira, Kivan, Minsc, Dynaheir and myslef. I played through BG1 with several different classes and races, but the best (for BG1) were humans. I would either play a Human Mage or a Human Fighter. It all depends on whether you want to be in the front or in the back.

To Seid:

BG1 may not be up to par with BG2 as far as the graphics and sound, you are right about that. But, if you've never played through BG1 even once, I don't think you really get the feel for the life you are supposed to have led up to the point of waking up in Irenicus' dungeon. Which is a shame, because you really had a lot of good times. On top of that, how can you feel on way or the other about Sarevok in TOB, if you didn't face him in BG1?

Not to mention, the great joy (roleplaying wise) of raising a character from level 1 to ........ well, I don't want to spoil TOB for ya', so I'll stop there.

Damn! All this talk about BG1 has made me miss it. Now I'm gonna have to go start a new character and take him through all three games.

-Immoral

Old 07-18-2001, 10:14 AM   #9
Altranan
Dungeon Master

Sounds..uh..interesting. I guess after the quick-fix, glitzy MTV BG2, then BG1 will appear more of a chore. Still maybe I'll feel more fulfilled having earned my levels the hard way.

To Immoral: You have inspired me to play BG1, I feel like I'm about to embark on a pilgrimage to find my roots. Ordering BG1 as we speak. Also means I have the excitement of playing ToB extended until I've finished BG1 and BG2. ohmygod, I don't think I can stand it.

[This message has been edited by Altranan (edited 07-18-2001).]
Old 07-18-2001, 05:43 PM   #10
Gil-Galad
The Magister

Could be a SPOILER about how to play BG1, but you might want to know....
<
<
<
<
<
<
<
<
<
<
<
<
The plot in BG1 is very much laid out for good or neutral aligned characters. Meaning that there are very few Evil options, except dialogue-wise, as opposed to, say, joining Bodhi instead of the Shadow Thieves in BG2. You can mostly only manifest your evil intentions by killing beggars, Flaming Fist Soldiers, Neeber etc.