Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 09-28-2001, 11:15 PM   #1
crimsonson
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I read from Nicholas Yu's FAQ that Mazzy is a 'special character'

She much more able than her stats would like you to believe.

Here is my dilemma:
I am a crossroad. I would like to use Valygar because I just got the Celestial Fury. With his sword he can double Katana his ass to Kingdom come. I want to replace Mazzy but I am unsure since I wanted to do that originally with Anomen but change my mind when he got promoted. Now he is the best cleric (I really dont use heal spells, I just like resurrection and his offensive cleric spells + I tank him with my other fighters).

Does Nalia have such path, a radical upgrade through a quest/subplot?

My team and strategy:
Ranger - Me / tank/ double axe/ can do double bastards also
Minsc - Tank/ double longswords/bastards - good for double handed weapons
Anomen - Tank / Shield and mace/hammer/flail - Offensive cleric spells/resurrections
Mazzy - quasi tank/ Elven bow/ s. sword and shield
Edwin - obvious / magic missles/ firball sunfire and others
Jan - like Yosh as my thief but since he will be leaving me soon... I might as well invest in Jan

Valygar - double katanas baby with Clestial Fury!! very tempting

Vaconia - too much trouble for a cleric (maybe after restart)
Aerie - if Edwin leaves will take her back, till then drink up at Copper
Jaheira - can't tank/mediocre spells/ cant thief/ best mediocre character
Cernd- fun but not that usefull in the long run (again another restart character)

My second post about party so be gentle. Newb trying to learn! Can't wait for Winter!

I am at chapter 3

[This message has been edited by crimsonson (edited 09-28-2001).]
Old 09-28-2001, 11:21 PM   #2
deathknight
Drow Warrior

No Nalia does not have any upgrade quest or anything. Really I think Anomen is the only npc that really gets a kick in the pants through a quest. If you are hell bent on using Celestial Fury I would ditch mazzy (not that I would be overly thrilled with using valygar either but the profs work out better that way)
Old 09-29-2001, 05:02 AM   #3
Mahlennacht
Drow Warrior

(welcome crimsonson !)

Yes Valygar dual-wielding C.F. and his bleeder katana is VERY tempting, especially in backstab mode ... SUGGESTION: You might consider swapping Minsc for Valygar, IF you wish to use Edwin instead of Nalia; reason being: (and I don't know if this is really a SPOILER - hell you already know about Yoshimo's *thing*... well, just in case: )

SPOILER (?)

SPOILER (?)

SPOILER (?)

SPOILER (?)

--Edwin and Minsc, they don't really get along, and after a while they will REALLY hate each other, with disastrous results to your party (I'll say that much)- maybe you already knew about this problem... If you want to keep Minsc you should use Nalia for your lead mage
--Mazzy I haven't used yet - maybe next time - but apparently she's practically a machine-gun with arrows so why not give her a chance...
--bit of a pity you won't have any romance dialogue with your current lineup, but whatever...

Good luck!
Old 09-29-2001, 05:40 AM   #4
Ed
Manshoon

You must have Minsc and Aerie. otherwise how can you get the minsc/aerie/boo love triangle??

------------------

The REAL Minsc/Boo double act .....

Platinum Fighter of ALSB
Old 09-29-2001, 11:23 AM   #5
Kitty
Manshoon

As someone has pointed out, I'd give Mazzy a chance. You already have 2 rangers in your party, Minsc and you.
Why don't you give Mazzy proficiencies in katana also? She may not be good at dual-wielding as Valygar, but she can wear metal armor...think about that. Mazzy has also some nice special abilities that may be handy in a battle (specially her Strenght spell while she doesn't have a belt of the same name).
Old 09-29-2001, 11:47 AM   #6
Jerome
Knight of the Rose

Quote:
Originally posted by Mahlennacht:
[B]

--Edwin and Minsc, they don't really get along, and after a while they will REALLY hate each other, with disastrous results to your party (I'll say that much)- maybe you already knew about this problem... If you want to keep Minsc you should use Nalia for your lead mage
B]
Odd. I've had both of them in my party a few times and nothings ever happened.

My advice yo you would be to have:

You,
Valygar,
Anomen,
Mazzy
Edwin,
Jan.

That's a deccent balance of spells, ranged weapons and tanks.

Good luck, and welcome to the boards BTW!

------------------

Do not be afraid of the darkness, be afraid of what it hides.
Old 09-29-2001, 02:22 PM   #7
crimsonson
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I think I have the answer to my own question!

I will replace Mazzy with Valygar. Yes I will lose a good bow expert but since I have my ranger and Minsc, no prob. I will play the game as normal if Edwin and Minsc attacks each, will replace Minsc with either Mazzy or That other Radiant Heart Dude.!

Bad/Good?

this is it. After your suggestions, I will stop posting this kind of questions and just play! I know it must be redundant querry in this forum.

Thanx in advance

------------------
"Naive romantics would like you to believe that this heart, at the core, is in perfect health."
Chinua Achebe

[This message has been edited by crimsonson (edited 09-29-2001).]
Old 09-29-2001, 04:05 PM   #8
StarVid
Elminster

It's not a redundant querry, I've asked the same kind of questions myself here a few times...

What I'm wondering is why you want three rangers? There's really no need for more than one, and having such kinda brings down your party.

Furthermore, give your own character the katanas. I think that being a warrior you only get a -1 penalty when using weapons you're not proficient with. I'd keep Mazzy...