Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 10-13-2007, 10:53 PM   #21
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Default Re: Animal control workers hurl pets off bridge in Puerto Rico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firestormalpha View Post
Well that was actually meant as a response to the end of Spirit Warriors reply. Not meant to be construed as my own views in any sense. I should have included his response to clarify my meaning.
Well, believing in a soul doesn't mean you have to believe in an afterlife. Many systems do associate it with that but it's not always the case. There are at least 30 different schools of thought (both theological and philosophical) as to what the soul is and what it pertains to. So, this isn't me forcing some belief system on people - I don't adher to any religion personally, and when I speak of a soul it is more in line with the "living consciousness" concept as opposed to the "go to heaven" one. This is what I mean about looking into an animals eyes, you see alot more there than many would think. And that I don't think anyone of sound mind, regardless of their beliefs could argue that. Just thought i'd clarify what I meant.
Old 10-13-2007, 10:59 PM   #22
Firestormalpha
Knight of the Rose

Zelda Champion Snake Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiritWarrior View Post
Well, believing in a soul doesn't mean you have to believe in an afterlife. Many systems do associate it with that but it's not always the case. There are at least 30 different schools of thought (both theological and philosophical) as to what the soul is and what it pertains to. So, this isn't me forcing some belief system on people - I don't adher to any religion personally, and when I speak of a soul it is more in line with the "living consciousness" concept as opposed to the "go to heaven" one. This is what I mean about looking into an animals eyes, you see alot more there than many would think. And that I don't think anyone of sound mind, regardless of their beliefs could argue that. Just thought i'd clarify what I meant.

True enough, (pertaining to the diversity of ideas about the soul etc.) I was just mentioning that experiment as an example as I was watching something about it earlier this week and I noticed many flaws in their approach, most importantly their inability to approach it objectively.

That and they assumed that having a soul (immortal or otherwise) could be disproven by debunking the idea of NDE's being a supernatural experience.

"We are never to judge a philosophy by its abuse." - Augustine

"If you're wondering if God has a sense of humor, consider the platypus."

http://www.greaterthings.cbglades.com
Firestormalpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 11:58 PM   #23
Sever
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
That and they assumed that having a soul (immortal or otherwise) could be disproven by debunking the idea of NDE's being a supernatural experience.
The brain (that thing we don't know a great deal about and, ironically, also the very source of all ponderings on what is and what may be) does funny and immeasurable things when subjected to something as serious as a NDE. In such an instance, the absolute last thing that can be relied upon at that moment, is any conclusion drawn from the brain in question.

What i like to think a soul to be is the non-analytical parts of the mind. The parts that react to "normal" stimuli inconsistently at best and chaotically at worst. Emotions, drives, personality, individuality. Dogs, cats, even sheep if we were to look hard enough, have that by the bucketload. We're not special.
boo hoo hoo hoo hoo hoo
Sever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 12:32 AM   #24
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Thumbs Up Re: Animal control workers hurl pets off bridge in Puerto Rico

Quote:
Well that was actually meant as a response to the end of Spirit Warriors reply. Not meant to be construed as my own views in any sense. I should have included his response to clarify my meaning.

I figured, no worries! BTW, it's always sad to go to the SPCA and visit the Cats, knowing some won't find homes. But I am looking for a friend for Choc. You kinda 'know' when you see the one that is right.
He'd run the noob cat wild. Would be fun to watch them playing and stuff--after that week of meeting that is... thats the part that sucks.

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album
Ziroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 01:55 AM   #25
Lord Michael
Elminster

I carry a 9 Iron (Titleist, of course) in my XTerra. I can definitely see myself smacking a few heads in if I witnessed such an atrocity taking place.

FORE!!!!

"Better to die on your feet than to live on your knees"
Lord Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 02:00 AM   #26
Lord Michael
Elminster

Ironworks Forum Re: Animal control workers hurl pets off bridge in Puerto Rico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziroc View Post
I figured, no worries!
He'd run the noob cat wild. Would be fun to watch them playing and stuff--after that week of meeting that is... thats the part that sucks.
I'm going through that situation at home now. The eldest cat is not very pleased about the kitten that has joined the family. My girl Alice takes everything in stride, but Slim (the elder) is not real happy about Lola coming into the house. I couldn't let her be euthanized though. She's got an injured eye (just a "foggy" spot where she got clawed), and no one would adopt her because of it. But her disposition is sooo sweet, and her motor is sooo LOUD!
I told Slim..... get used to it buddy!

Jeez, they are all so spoiled rotten.

"Better to die on your feet than to live on your knees"
Lord Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 12:06 PM   #27
pritchke
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Quote:
Unless of course you're one of those people who doesn't believe in souls.
I will reword this, "Unless of course you're one of those people who doesn't have a soul."
pritchke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 05:03 PM   #28
Mack_Attack
Osiris - Egyptian God of the Underworld

Very very sad. I knew I should have come up with my invention of mini parachutes. But really is too sad.

WHen I traveled around Greece. There are so many stray Dogs. Some where starving to death. I almost feel that getting tossed off a cliff would have been more humane then dying a slow death.
Mack_Attack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 06:32 PM   #29
Firestormalpha
Knight of the Rose

Zelda Champion Snake Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack_Attack View Post
WHen I traveled around Greece. There are so many stray Dogs. Some where starving to death. I almost feel that getting tossed off a cliff would have been more humane then dying a slow death.
Well that's why many shelters in areas like that pull in strays for the sole purpose of euphanizing them.

"We are never to judge a philosophy by its abuse." - Augustine

"If you're wondering if God has a sense of humor, consider the platypus."

http://www.greaterthings.cbglades.com
Firestormalpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 07:23 PM   #30
Sir Goulum
John Locke

I find it so ironic how many people respond to reports of animal cruelty, by threatening to attack the jerks themselves.
Sir Goulum is offline   Reply With Quote