Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 12-13-2003, 02:49 PM   #11
snapp254
Elite Waterdeep Guard

In fact, I've never been on an airplane in my whole life. And through my 16 years I've always wondererd at the time the summer vacations starts: "Why don't we ever go to a place far from Sweden as all my friends do?".

I've visited one country in my life and that's Denmark, 40 min by car from my home. So you can really say I'm experienced in the ways of the world. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 12-13-2003, 03:14 PM   #12
Arledrian
Egyptian Goddess of the Dead

Quote:
Originally posted by snapp254:
In fact, I've never been on an airplane in my whole life. And through my 16 years I've always wondererd at the time the summer vacations starts: "Why don't we ever go to a place far from Sweden as all my friends do?".

I've visited one country in my life and that's Denmark, 40 min by car from my home. So you can really say I'm experienced in the ways of the world. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
You speak incredible English for someone who hasn't had the opportunity to travel very much. Welcome to Ironworks! [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-13-2003, 07:55 PM   #13
Sir Goulum
John Locke

Only flown to Ottawa & back on WestJet, the most spartan airline in the world [img]tongue.gif[/img] . I swear, they gave us 2 crackers and 2 drinks for a 6-7 Hour flight [img]tongue.gif[/img] . Never ever flying with them again [img]tongue.gif[/img] (WestJet is a Canadian Airline for those who don't know)

[ 12-13-2003, 07:56 PM: Message edited by: Sir Goulum ]
Old 12-14-2003, 05:55 AM   #14
wellard
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Goulum:
Only flown to Ottawa & back on WestJet, the most spartan airline in the world [img]tongue.gif[/img] . I swear, they gave us 2 crackers and 2 drinks for a 6-7 Hour flight [img]tongue.gif[/img] . Never ever flying with them again [img]tongue.gif[/img] (WestJet is a Canadian Airline for those who don't know)
Actually Sir Goulum thats a reflection of the avation industry today. Cost cutting, sameness and lack of vision are fast replacing the national statements of pride and technical inovation that fuelled the avation industry for the first eighty years. *sigh*

Arvon
Wow we find something about you who did you fly for? and what did you fly? are you still working in avation

Lady Blue
You sure have a good family background [img]graemlins/heee.gif[/img] any scary stories to tell of near misses and daring do?

[ 12-14-2003, 05:59 AM: Message edited by: wellard ]

fossils - natures way of laughing at creationists for over 3 billion years
Old 12-14-2003, 04:16 PM   #15
RoSs_bg2_rox
Zartan

Did anyone watch Scrapheap Challenge today? In celebration of 100 years of Aviation, the British, Americans and French had a battle to see who could build the best aircraft by only using old material (wood etc.) that would have been around in 1903, they also were only allowed to use tools that were around in that day. It was brilliant! They had 2 days to build a flyable plane and on the 3rd day they got 2 hours "tinkering" time followed by a test flight (two for the Americans and French as they didnt get off the ground in the first run )

Then they had to fly half a mile over this desert in California (or near there) The closest to the landing spot one, and just to cap it all, guess what............. The British won!!
Old 12-14-2003, 05:53 PM   #16
Lady Blue03
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Quote:
Originally posted by wellard:
Lady Blue
You sure have a good family background [img]graemlins/heee.gif[/img] any scary stories to tell of near misses and daring do?
lol, I do as a matter of fact

My bro is Instrument rated atm, working on his Commerical. Well, my mom was at a horse show in Santa Barbara that I was supposed to meet her at, so my dad suggested my bro and I do a x-country there, me as PIC. Relativley uneventful flight-we took the VFR corridor off the coast and passed by LAX. Wasn't busy in the air at all. So anyway we're on approach to SB, and theres a left and right runaway running parallel to eachother-you're supposed to land on the left RW, but I looked at the picture in the Cali airport directory wrong and thought it was right RW.
So we're getting close and my brother says,
"Do you know which RW it is?"
"Ya, right."
"No...it's the left runway"
"What? Ah sh*t!"
So I hit the rudder and turn the controls trying to get back over to left before we get too close to the ground. The Cessna is weaving all over as i'm trying to get it on the center line, lol.
My brother: "Do you want me to take the controls?"
"NO I can do it!"
So I finally get it centered and touch down...hard. The plane bounced up again but when it settled I managed to keep it down [img]tongue.gif[/img]

And of course my mom was watching from the restuarnt we were meeting her at, and my brother called my dad to tell him what a shat landing I did, lol. Fortunatley we were never in any danger, and thats by far my worse landing to date

[ 12-14-2003, 05:55 PM: Message edited by: Lady Blue03 ]
Old 12-14-2003, 06:00 PM   #17
Sir Goulum
John Locke

Quote:
Originally posted by wellard:
quote:
Originally posted by Sir Goulum:
Actually Sir Goulum thats a reflection of the avation industry today. Cost cutting, sameness and lack of vision are fast replacing the national statements of pride and technical inovation that fuelled the avation industry for the first eighty years. *sigh*
[/QUOTE]Yea, but at least Air Canada has movies [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 12-14-2003, 10:51 PM   #18
wellard
Dracolisk

LOL lady blue

That was scary... did you not contemplate a go around ? any comments over the radio by ATC or other aircraft?

Landing is what puts me off taking my PPL *and no money [img]tongue.gif[/img] * Take off and navigation are all easy for me but when the ground starts to aproach real fast with a gusty crosswind aaaaarrrgggg [img]graemlins/blush.gif[/img] things get scary [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]

I will be taking my wife and mother in law for a flight over Sydney and along the coastline for a few hours as a Christmas present. My good mate Pablo will be doing the landing in a dual control hire plane but as i will be doing everything else i'm not sure my good wife is going to be able to relax and enjoy the view all that much

fossils - natures way of laughing at creationists for over 3 billion years
Old 12-15-2003, 01:35 PM   #19
Lady Blue03
Xanathar Thieves Guild

A go around wasn't really necessary, cause we had tons of RW left, it was just, ah, the position over which RW . Fortunatley no comments from the tower or other airplanes, hehe.

Reminded me of one solo flight I did about a year back to an uncontrolled airport called French Valley. I entered the downwind at the appropriate altitude, but I think I must have pulled off too much power, cause by the time I was on final I was only about 50 feet above the houses and powerlines, lol. Landing was fine, but somone came on the radio who was also doing pattern work and said
"That was the lowest final approach I've ever seen at this airport, good job!"
This must have only been my 4th time going solo, so an very embarassed me said "thanks" and quickly left the airspace [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Sir G-whatdya mean, you get movies. We have movies too! AND we have Jet Blue with DirecTV