Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-16-2002, 05:05 AM   #1
banzai
Manshoon

At the moment I´m playing SoA with ToB installed.
Right now I have completed most of the Underdark and I´m wondering if it´s *possible* (not too insanely hard) to complete Watcher´s Keep in the next chapter without cheating. My party is quite magic-heavy and has an average level of 13-14.
What is your opinion ???
Old 04-16-2002, 05:19 AM   #2
caleb
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

Probably only the first 3 levels and anything after that would be frustrating to complete but maybe not impossible.
caleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2002, 05:38 AM   #3
cheesus
Dungeon Master

you'll encounter tricky bits for sure, but you could get quite far if you're willing to struggle in parts. when you get to a bit you're stuck on, just leave and return later - there was a fight on level 3 i just couldn't do, so i left to go to brynslaww and underdark and completed it on my return.
cheesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2002, 05:40 AM   #4
Kronostia
The Magister

Spoiler ahead.

Fighting against numerous Admanti Golems, Fire Giants. Illithiad...

I do not think that u stand a living chance to get through the Watchers keep..and then the fight before you get down to the Demi-Gorgon is by many (myself included) seen as the toughest and most difficult fight throughout the ENTIRE of SoA and ToB !
Old 04-16-2002, 05:42 AM   #5
Glorfindel
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

I personally go there STRAIGHT away after I get out of irenicus' dungeon... and I get Firetooth once I am out... and I get the +1 bolts and the +1 Arrows.. then I go back to it in ToB [img]smile.gif[/img]
Glorfindel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2002, 06:22 AM   #6
banzai
Manshoon

Thank you guys - I think I will have a try in chapter 6.
If it gets too hard I will retreat and come back later.
Old 04-16-2002, 07:51 AM   #7
Nicodemus
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I actually went to Watcher's Keep before I went to Spellhold, and I made it through alright. Some of it is a little hairy, but by design, it's going to be tough no matter what level you are.

Keep in mind too, that you get insane amounts of experience points, so you are bound to go up at least a few levels in the process. My thief went up 5 or 6 levels. And if all else fails, you can do as the others have said and take a break from it if it gets too gnarly. I highly recommend going, even if it's just to cruise through the first floor. It's relatively easy, and there's some very nice loot.
Old 04-16-2002, 08:49 PM   #8
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

I find it's worth visiting the top floor of Watcher's Keep as soon as you possibly can, just for the Case and the Belt. Until you get the Bag later on in the plot, those two items will save you a LOT of Inventory space. You'll have to do some actual fighting to get the Belt, but not much--just a few Shades and/or Shadow Fiends, IIRC.
Old 04-16-2002, 09:21 PM   #9
Hayashi
Silver Dragon

IIRC the difficulty of WK, i.e. the monsters you'll face, are scaled according to the level of your party. Where a high level party might face an adamantine golem, say, a lower level party might face an iron golem.
But there are certain encounters where the monsters are the same regardless of party level. They can be considered the 'boss' monster of that particular level.

Bottom line? Go for it. There are some nifty things in the 1st level of WK, and it shouldn't be too hard.