Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum

Old 11-12-2004, 04:59 PM   #1
JrKASperov
Fzoul Chembryl

First, le parté!

Half-Elven Bard Danthe Halfsong Short Blades/bow
STR 11 DEX 17 CON 11 INT 17 WIS 11 CHA 17

Human Ranger Hardlen Fiendbane Large Swords/Mace/bow
STR 18/44 DEX 16 CON 17 INT 10 WIS 15 CHA 9

Gnomish Fighter Grandle Trickleblade Flails/Crossbow maybe Axes later on
STR 15 DEX 18 CON 17 INT 16 WIS 9 CHA 13

Elven Mage Arledrian
STR 10 DEX 16 CON 11 INT 18 WIS 15 CHA 13

Human Druid Sharon of Greenwake Spears/Staves/Sling
STR 17 DEX 15 CON 10 INT 10 WIS 17 CHA 15

Elven Fighter/thief Kellindil Long Sword/bow/maces
STR 17 DEX 19 CON 11 INT 13 WIS 11 CHA 11

I'm just amazed by the athmosphere of this game and it's diversity in hack&slash. There are many different situations to best and the small villages really gave me a cosy feeling. And unlike IWDII, the magical items aren't totally rare! So the excitement of finding one is great like in BGI. I'm currently busy exploring the Vale of Shadows, and it's exciting and challenging at the same time. I really screamed when I met my first ogre, I thought I was doomed! I wás, the first time, anyway. [img]graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 11-12-2004, 05:45 PM   #2
Marty4
Symbol of Cyric

A gnomish fighter? Well, you sure are a good RPer, not that anything is bad with that. Keep him with the same weapon, though. 5pp in a weapon is very nice. The ranger would be better as an elf, but human is fine. I may be wrong, but isn't Kellindil the name of an elvish fighter in R.A. Salvatore's novel Sojourn? I may have the name wrong, but oh well.

Lookin good!
Marty4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 07:22 PM   #3
JrKASperov
Fzoul Chembryl

At first I wanted a gnomish fighter/mage, but I thought, lets use a fighter/mage for a next game, as they are quite a burden. So i settled for just fighter. And yes, Kellindil is the name of that elf, and I blatantly stole it, because that name fits the char. I honestly must say that i took the ranger for the extra attack with one weapon. And it is aiding me very very well. Why the human? Wanted the human avatar. Same as with gnome instead of haffer, i think the dwarven avatar kicks major arse, which gnome fighters do get.

Actually, gnomes are really good fighter, ever heard of the thing called a breach gnome ?

FYI, I have HoW.
Old 11-12-2004, 08:15 PM   #4
Marty4
Symbol of Cyric

Prediction: NobleNick is going to storm in here and spank you for not including a DC in you party (and only one MC). [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-12-2004, 11:52 PM   #5
Aerich
Lord Ao

Got a bard, though, so JrKASperov will escape the ultimate tongue-lashing.

Btw, I'm a big fan of the single-class gnome fighter as well. Not only does it have the potential to have 18s in each of Str, Dex and Con (something that only humans, half-elves and gnomes can get), but a gnome fighter can wear the Helm of the Trusted Defender. You can have a -12 AC tank (without temporary spell buffs) by the time you are part way through Dragon's Eye.

Showing how much of a nerd I am, I too picked up on the name-lifting from Sojourn.

Book spoiler
Kellindil was: in the group that originally tracked Drizzt; a major reason why Drizzt wasn't killed by elves or rangers; foully attacked by Roddy McGristle. (what a stupid name for a villian!)

In addition, the name Arledrian is the screen name of someone on the forum (mostly posts in GD).
Old 11-13-2004, 05:18 AM   #6
ZFR
Legion Symbol

Quote:
Originally posted by Aerich:
Btw, I'm a big fan of the single-class gnome fighter as well. Not only does it have the potential to have 18s in each of Str, Dex and Con (something that only humans, half-elves and gnomes can get), but a gnome fighter can wear the Helm of the Trusted Defender. You can have a -12 AC tank (without temporary spell buffs) by the time you are part way through Dragon's Eye.
Also gnomes get bonus save vs spell for high constitution
(or at least they did in BG. havent verified it in IWD)
Old 11-13-2004, 07:23 AM   #7
JrKASperov
Fzoul Chembryl

Dualclasses are boring [img]tongue.gif[/img] , I would only have taken one if I had a single-class cleric. I find it taking too much time to regain the older class.

Oh and yes, arledrian is the screen name of someone on ironworks, but I realised that only AFTER I had assembled the name. Weird coincedences [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 11-14-2004, 03:04 AM   #8
JayS
Dungeon Master

Arledrian is also the person upstairs in Gaelan Bayle's house in BGII. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
JayS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004, 06:53 AM   #9
Marty4
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by JrKASperov:
Dualclasses are boring [img]tongue.gif[/img] , I would only have taken one if I had a single-class cleric. I find it taking too much time to regain the older class.
OOOH! You are going to be spanked silly! [img]smile.gif[/img]
I haven't done any long-term dual classing, since I have yet to get HOW and TotLM, but from what I've heard it gives you a challenge when you are regaining levels and a huge, powerful character that can tank when needed and shred enemies to bit with spells. Seems like fun to me!

I always thought it was strange that a gnome could achieve the same physical stats as a human or half elf. Aren't gnomes usually illusionists or alchemists? I guess your cahracter is a bit above the norm.

[ 11-14-2004, 08:03 AM: Message edited by: Marty4 ]
Old 11-14-2004, 10:28 PM   #10
Otto
The Magister

Quote:
Originally posted by Marty4:
A gnomish fighter? Well, you sure are a good RPer, not that anything is bad with that. Keep him with the same weapon, though. 5pp in a weapon is very nice. The ranger would be better as an elf, but human is fine. I may be wrong, but isn't Kellindil the name of an elvish fighter in R.A. Salvatore's novel Sojourn? I may have the name wrong, but oh well.

Lookin good!
Marty, the gnomish fighter is possibly the best single-class fighter race in the game. First, they can potentially have 18s in STR, DEX, & CON. Second, they get very good saves. And third, only halflings and gnomes can wear the Helm of the Trusted Defender, which gives +4 AC bonus and immunity to fatigue. A gnome fighter with DEX=18 can easily have AC= -8 or lower very early in the game. This little guy makes a great tank.
Otto is offline   Reply With Quote