Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 11-07-2001, 12:53 AM   #1
Telchar of Nogrod
Drow Warrior

By the book, it should work. I read that I may have to take the belt off after a fight and put it back on to re-gain 100% resistance. I'm an Undead Hunter; so, this combanation would make me a Lich killing machine.
\"Here once was light, that the Valar begrudged to Middle-earth, but now dark levels all. Shall we mourn here deedless forever, a shadow-folk, mist haunting, dripping vain tears in the thankless sea?\"<br />Feanor at Tirion upon Tuna, Of the Flight of the Noldor, The Silmarillion
Old 11-07-2001, 01:54 AM   #2
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Read the Belt's description again. It is 50% Magic Damage Resistance, not 50% Magic Resistance.

What it does is that it reduces Magic damage dealt to you by half.
Old 11-07-2001, 01:58 AM   #3
Tim Tam
Dungeon Master

No. The belt gives Magic Damage Resistance, this is different from plain old Magic Resistance. Magic damage is from spells like Magic Missile, Horrid Wilting and Skull Trap. So the belt will halve any damage you get from these types of spells.

Magic Resistance gives you a chance to avoid the spell altogether. So weilding the sword while having a skull trap go off on you will give you a 50% chance to avoid any damage at all, and failing that wearing the belt will halve any damage you take from it.

Carsomyr sets your MR to 50% everytime you equip it btw, so if you have Ring of Gaxx and Amulet of Seldarine for example, you will need to re-equip them after the sword to get their MR bonuses, or stay at 50% instead of 70%.
Old 11-07-2001, 02:44 AM   #4
Amergin
Zhentarim Guard

belt: yes, read the description

carsomyr does as timtam says, but because it sets the mr at 50%, it stays at 50% no matter what it was before or what other mr boosting items you put on, regardless of the order... damn, now im not sure. ignore me.
Old 11-07-2001, 05:12 AM   #5
Kingenigma
The Magister

Hmm..interesting. Only for Paladins tho.
Old 11-07-2001, 05:58 AM   #6
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Amergin:
carsomyr does as timtam says, but because it sets the mr at 50%, it stays at 50% no matter what it was before or what other mr boosting items you put on, regardless of the order... damn, now im not sure. ignore me.

Tim Tam is correct, if you re-equip other MR-boosting items after equipping Carsomyr, it will go above 50%

In addition, Carsomyr will always add to your base MR.

So if you have a base of 10% MR, and you equip Carsomyr, you will have 60%. Re-equip Amulet of Power and Ring of Gaxx to boost it to 75%.
Old 11-07-2001, 04:08 PM   #7
Telchar of Nogrod
Drow Warrior

If I had the item and could read the description, I wouldn't have posted. Thanks to everyone else.
\"Here once was light, that the Valar begrudged to Middle-earth, but now dark levels all. Shall we mourn here deedless forever, a shadow-folk, mist haunting, dripping vain tears in the thankless sea?\"<br />Feanor at Tirion upon Tuna, Of the Flight of the Noldor, The Silmarillion