Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-06-2006, 05:57 PM   #1
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

Recently the Chili Peppers' came out with a new CD, and the most popular one playing right now is called "Dani California." I've heard it many times on the radio now, but didn't think anything of it. Now I hear in the news that people are saying the song is a copy of Tom Petty's old song "Mary Jane's Last Dance." I had forgotten all about that old Tom Petty song, and dang, the two songs do sound the same.

What do you think?

http://www.jared-morris.com/blog/petty.mp3

Reality Show Recaps
Ladyzekke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 01:34 AM   #2
Mack_Attack
Osiris - Egyptian God of the Underworld

If it was any other band I would say maybe. The Chillies just have been doing this way to long. I feel that it may sound the same. But I do believe that they never ment to do that.

I passed up the chance to see the chillies play in Sept. I have to work and just can not afford any holidays. Not unless it has to do with house building.
Old 06-07-2006, 04:11 AM   #3
JrKASperov
Fzoul Chembryl

The chillies went boring right after One Hot Minute. Except for 'All around the World'.
Old 06-07-2006, 05:52 AM   #4
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

Yeah I heard this a few days ago, and i'm pretty convinced that its a bit of a rip off, though I like the song so I don't care (the video clip is crap though)
Hivetyrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 06:00 AM   #5
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

That, mp3 makes more sense when you watch this page

Warning, it does have a giant "slang" word across the page....
Old 06-07-2006, 06:58 AM   #6
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Yeah, it sucks to run around stealing other people's stuff. However, it's a common theme for rap bands. "Homey, we gotta excape from the three beat for 3000 songs theme all the other homeys are stuck on, so lets steal someone else's beat, and change the words". The only time I've seen this done where it was "tasteful", was when Run DMC covered "Walk This Way" by Aerosmith. Not sure how it is on the released medium, cassettes at the time, I think, but in the video, Aerosmith is also performing.
The cheesiest case ever; Sting performing the "I want my MTV" part of Dire Straits' "Money for Nothing", and then suing them because the lyrical pattern matched "Don't Stand so Close to Me" by the Police. Oh, Sting was the vocalist for that track as well, you'd have thought he'd have noticed it then...
robertthebard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 07:11 AM   #7
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by robertthebard:
The only time I've seen this done where it was "tasteful", was when Run DMC covered "Walk This Way" by Aerosmith. Not sure how it is on the released medium, cassettes at the time, I think, but in the video, Aerosmith is also performing.
Yep, they did it together.

Awesome song too BTW
Old 06-07-2006, 07:13 AM   #8
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Yeah, unless you're Wierd Al, spoofing the music of other performers, it's best to collaborate with the original artist, instead of denying any knowledge of it. If it goes to court, they'll have a hard time convincing a judge they'd never heard the song before, considering the amount of airplay it got when it was "fresh"...
robertthebard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 09:40 AM   #9
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

It's always possible they didn't realize it, but then again, they may have and not cared although it seems likely that they'd avoid it without necessary permissions or collaborations to avoid lawsuits like Sting's, I'd imagine.

I'm not a fan of theirs or rap so I can't really comment on whether they might deliberately rip something off or not. Do you know if Tom Petty is suing them or anything, LZ? (I'm at the office so couldn't listen to the links so if it says there, I didn't see it, sorry!)

Weird Al, now that is one I've listened to alot in the past.. he does have some good spoofs!

[ 06-07-2006, 09:42 AM: Message edited by: Cloudbringer ]
Old 06-07-2006, 03:34 PM   #10
Gemmel
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I'm sure they didn't do it on purpose. Why would they bother ? They have no reason to risk gettin into hot water over something like that, people lap up any old crap they release anyway (sorry, NOT a fan). I reckon its subliminal, and you can't be sued for that. Plus its 3 chords anyway...