Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-2003, 09:03 PM   #11
Bokken
Baaz Draconian

Here's a few pics of my ones if anyone's interested. Unfortunately I never really did have a need for a digital camera so they are not of the best quality, not to mention a bit old since they have both been (internally) upgraded a couple of times since the taking of these pictures.

For those wondering what the blue gadgets are on the black case, they are the coolermaster aerogate II on the top and coolermaster musketeer on the bottom. Still waiting for that damn Hardcano 12 by Thermaltake so these will do for now...hehe
Old 11-24-2003, 07:05 AM   #12
Target
Red Dragon

Great reply Bokken, I got the (can’t remember the number) Black case without the window, I keep my tower on the floor and wouldn’t see in it so couldn’t see the point, also I’m not very good at keeping all the wires out of the way so it would look cluttered. [img]smile.gif[/img]

A power supply question, is the 480w silent PSU good?? I could only afford a cheep generic one, have thought about upgrading. Is there much different between a good named brand and a cheep generic one? Mine is meant to be 400w.

Cool photos.
I don't really like those clear cases, not for me. The Alienware one looks kinda funky, bet it would cost alot!!
Just a shame the Xaser is so dam heavy!!

If you can keep your head when all around are loosing theirs...you probably haven’t grasped the situation!!
Old 11-24-2003, 08:31 AM   #13
Bokken
Baaz Draconian

Quote:
Originally posted by Target:
Great reply Bokken, I got the (can’t remember the number) Black case without the window, I keep my tower on the floor and wouldn’t see in it so couldn’t see the point, also I’m not very good at keeping all the wires out of the way so it would look cluttered. [img]smile.gif[/img]

A power supply question, is the 480w silent PSU good?? I could only afford a cheep generic one, have thought about upgrading. Is there much different between a good named brand and a cheep generic one? Mine is meant to be 400w.

Cool photos.
I don't really like those clear cases, not for me. The Alienware one looks kinda funky, bet it would cost alot!!
Just a shame the Xaser is so dam heavy!!
Firstly if you cant keep your wires in order be sure to invest in some small cable ties and spend a bit of time tying them together. Trust me I can seriously say that I probably have about 20 times more wires than a heavily modded pc in mine and until I spent a couple of hours with the cable ties, it looked like a mess in there.

As for the power supply, the 480W Silent PSU with Adjustable second fan is Sensational. If you notice in my pictures I was using a Ritmo 500W prior to this one and although the price is 4 to 1, there is no comparison. Firstly my Ritmo was starting to choke with the amount of stuff I had plugged on it. The good thing with the Thermaltake one is that it is 480W Pure meaning what you see is what you get. Kinda like your 1000W Speakers that are only about 50W Pure but only say that in the fine print...heh.
Secondly you get 8 Molex Connectors for your devices rather than 4 (and if you're like me you still use splitters...heh) 2 floppy drive power connectors and the SATA Hot Swap. Lastly the adjustor which will increase the speed of the second fan in the power supply which can be either mounted on the back or on one of the CD Rom bays. There was no chance I could fit it in the back let alone reach it and all my CD Rom Bays are taken up so I modified my second Floppy Drive to accomodate it. (Can be seen on my blue case in Pics 14, 15 and 16). If you ever do get a PSU like this and like the setup of the adjustor let me know and I'll tell you how to do it if you can't figure it out although it's pretty easy and shouldn't take more than about 10 minutes.

To finish off and be as honest as I can. The Thermaltake PSU, although very good in quality, is very expensive, (nearly as much as the case here in Australia) so I'll leave the decision of that part up to you. Personally I wouldn't do without it but then again I didn't pay for the first one otherwise I would have never bought the second. Basically because I purchase a hell of a lot of Thermaltake gear on a regular basis, the manager threw that in for me to complete the modding with a complete thermaltake layout on my first PC. After seeing how much better and quieter it was I stuck with it for the second also and have another laying around now to go in the skull case. Great PSU but high price tag, but if you're mad like myself then you just have to have it!

On another note, the butterfly PSU's are coming out (if not already out where you are) which have Neons in them but considering you don't have the clear side you probably wouldn't need them.
I'll try to take some pictures of mine the way it is now so you can see the way it looks on the inside. I can't see either of mine either as they are directly in front of me on the floor also but I just can't stop modding things which is the only reason why I went for the clear sides. I just love looking at all the crap I've spent every last penny this year...heh