Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-13-2004, 06:37 PM   #1
Shotgun
Manshoon

Okay, I've just started ToB (second time around) and am playing with a different party than before. Here's how it stands right now:

me (male, Cleric/Ranger)
Mazzy
Imoen
Aerie (romance)
Valygar
Keldorn

My question is, what's it like to Sarevok? I've always played a good party, but have read that ToB isn't like SoA where party members will really clash if they aren't good/evil. If I did take Sarevok, what are the advantages, and who should I get rid of? My choices would be Mazzy or Valygar. She's taken him on as a squire, so I'm not sure if that's an issue. Also, I like both of them, so the decision is tough (I use Mazzy's bow, and Valygar's hide in shadows--I wear armor, so don't).

Any thoughts?
Shotgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 07:41 PM   #2
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion
You don't have to worry about people leaving due to alignment or reputation clashes. Sarevok is a very good fighter, and depending on what tactics you use, probably better than at least Valygar. He has an excellent ability called deathbringer assault, which does 200hp of damage (and can affect all enemies, unlike vorpal effects) which occurs on a reasonably frequent basis. Plus from a role-playing perspective it's quite interesting to take him along.

You could always maybe take a set of leather armour along if you want to hide in shadows
Old 01-13-2004, 07:54 PM   #3
Shotgun
Manshoon

Arrow

This is true. I'll admit that I do love his backstab capability, though. Took out a few nasties before the fight even started! Does anyone think I should just keep my party the way it is?
Old 01-13-2004, 07:58 PM   #4
Lord
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Take out Mazzy and put in Sarevok, no arguement about it. BTW, Sarevok's deathbringer assault has a 1% chance of occuring, but I often have him do it.

"No, I only lied about being a thief."
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 08:05 PM   #5
Shotgun
Manshoon

Is that the only reason, Lord? Personally, I've kept Mazzy for all of SoA and I need more than that to get rid of her. She's one of the only ones who does ranged attacks for me (Keldorn on occasion), but I'd be more inclined to get rid of Valygar.
Old 01-13-2004, 08:44 PM   #6
Lord
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
Originally posted by Shotgun:
Is that the only reason, Lord? Personally, I've kept Mazzy for all of SoA and I need more than that to get rid of her. She's one of the only ones who does ranged attacks for me (Keldorn on occasion), but I'd be more inclined to get rid of Valygar.
Equip Valygar with a Katana (Celestial Fury is prefered) and a bow (gesen bow or better) in another slow. He can hold 3 weapons, so throw in another one, maybe Mace of Disruption +2 for when fighting undead.
Then get rid of Mazzy, give Sarevok a 2-handed sword, and your covered. Sarevok + Valygar will easily take out Mazzy + Valygar in a fight, ranged combat or melee.

"No, I only lied about being a thief."
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 11:45 PM   #7
Imrahil
Elminster

From a pure powergaming aspect, I'd say Sarevok > Mazzy > Valygar. In ToB, Valygar brings the least to the table of the three, since he can't fight as well as the other two & his spells are too minor to be of any real use (yes, yes, they have some use, but don't make up for the drop in fighting ability).

From a role-playing aspect though, Mazzy+Valygar is a good team & I'd be hesitant to break them up. OTOH, Sarevok brings a ton of interesting dialogues himself, probably enough to trump any one NPC.

Have you considered dropping Keldorn for Sarevok? Sarevok > Keldorn in fighting, although Keldorn's True Sight & Dispel Magic almost make up for it, but Sarevok is a *much* more interesting NPC to have along from a role-playing perspective.

Or, perhaps, go with the best of both worlds & Save your game now, take Sarevok along, then once you're done, come back & play again without taking him along.

- Imrahil
Imrahil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 01:12 AM   #8
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

Sarevok's chance of scoring a Deathbringer Assault is actually 3% on each melee hit. And it's 200 Piercing damage, so critters like Mustard Jellies are still gonna laugh at you.

As for the choice of whether or not to use him: If you've never done X before, then by all means you should try X and see what happens.

As for whom to swap out, I would actually give Mazzy the boot, from a powergaming perspective. You're certianly not lacking in Tanking power, so one must look to secondary skills--and most of this game is melee-oriented, so being good with Gesen isn't as useful as Valygar's Stealth and excellent Elemental resists, or Keldorn's anti-Mage abilities and Carsomyr.
Old 01-14-2004, 09:18 AM   #9
Shotgun
Manshoon

Hm, good points. Although I like Mazzy personally (one of the least annoying characters!), I did use her the first time around. So, as much as I like her, maybe I'll switch her for Sarevok. She does have five slots in the short sword area, though!

I hesitate to get rid of Keldorn because he's weilding the Carsomyr (sp?) and he's been a good fighter for me, particularly when you give him the right armor and amulets.

I also like Imrahil's idea about saving one and trying both versions! So, I think that's what I'll do--drop Mazzy for Sarevok and later drop Valygar for Sarevok.

Thanks, everyone!

[ 01-14-2004, 09:21 AM: Message edited by: Shotgun ]
Old 01-14-2004, 01:29 PM   #10
Userunfriendly
Elminster

Quote:
Originally posted by SixOfSpades:
Sarevok's chance of scoring a Deathbringer Assault is actually 3% on each melee hit. And it's 200 Piercing damage, so critters like Mustard Jellies are still gonna laugh at you.

As for the choice of whether or not to use him: If you've never done X before, then by all means you should try X and see what happens.

As for whom to swap out, I would actually give Mazzy the boot, from a powergaming perspective. You're certianly not lacking in Tanking power, so one must look to secondary skills--and most of this game is melee-oriented, so being good with Gesen isn't as useful as Valygar's Stealth and excellent Elemental resists, or Keldorn's anti-Mage abilities and Carsomyr.
the stun effect seems to happen a lot more frequently...

i've experimented with giving deathbringer to other fighers in my parties, and at fairly high levels, deathbringer stun seems to happen almost with every 3-6th hit...

deathbringer has not only a piercing damage, but has the same almost unstoppable stun as celestial fury...i've stunned clay golems with a fighter who has deathbringer...only for a few rounds, but that's all you need... [img]smile.gif[/img]
Jansens aren\'t as harmless like everybody supposes! <br />They got them stumpy legs and puffy potato noses! <br />And what\'s with all the turnips? <br />Why do they eat so much root vegetables, anyway? <br />Jansens, Jansens,<br />It must be Jansens!!!<br />(or griffins!)
Userunfriendly is offline   Reply With Quote