Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 05-13-2001, 10:49 PM   #61
Sir Taliesin
Silver Dragon

I too believe in life after death. While I can't claim to have read the bible
through; I am in the process of reading it. I find it gives me comfort and a peace of mind I've found no where else. I also look on it as a guide on how to
live my life and how to treat others. I'm no fire and brimstone man. I'll never
tell you how you should live your life, but if you ask, I'll tell you how I live mine.

------------------
Sir Taliesin

If they take my gun can I still use my Claymore?
Sir Taliesin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2001, 11:02 PM   #62
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Larry_OHF wrote:
Quote:
I hope my little story here does not provoke anyone from disfellowshipping me, for I do not hold one's personal beliefs against them, though many people hold it against me, already.
Dear Larry,

I don't think anyone here would hold anything against you, or anyone else, for expressing a heartfelt belief. I admire your story, although my path is different, for you have chosen to be of service to others, which is a great calling.

My faith leads me along a different path, but I believe that ultimately, all paths lead back to the source of All Life, whatever you wish to call that source. Everything else becomes quibbling over semantics.

The only problem I would ever have is for someone to profess one's faith, and then for someone to come along, say that the person's "wrong" (the height of arrogance, IMO), and then try forcibly to "convince" the person of the wrongness of their ways and the rightness of his or her own ways. That is what proselytizing is, and it is the one thing that I will stand up against...in any form.

Sazerac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2001, 02:10 AM   #63
Gargoyle
Manshoon

This is not a personal knock at anyones beliefs and I understand fully that everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but frankly no I dont beleive in life after death, I also think that some people live their live as though they were dead, I hate witnessing someone wasting their life >>

------------------

Time is only relevant if you have none !
Gargoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2001, 06:29 AM   #64
Lady Avalon
Emerald Dragon

I have read all these posts with great interest. Amazing the different points of view we all have. A lot of you have been talking about the Bible. Just a thought for whatever it's worth - the Bible was written by man.

------------------

Seeker of Truth
Lady Avalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2001, 07:09 AM   #65
Dreamer128
Dracolisk

Its just that living FOREVER after death is so hard to picture, in heaven there would be people who are thousands of years old.
But i gues iīll find out for myself in about seventy years.
Dreamer128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2001, 07:43 AM   #66
Dreamer128
Dracolisk

However religion is definatly a good thing, if worked with the church on numereus occacions on things like collecting clothing and money for the poor.
Also i can thank them for one of my favourite movies, Jesus christ superstar wich iīve seen about two dozen times.
If you havenīt seen it, then you should.

[This message has been edited by Dreamer128 (edited 05-14-2001).]
Dreamer128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2001, 08:01 AM   #67
Lady Avalon
Emerald Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreamer128:
Its just that living FOREVER after death is so hard to picture, in heaven there would be people who are thousands of years old.
But i gues iīll find out for myself in about seventy years.
Hi Dreamer, think of it this way. It is not the person who is that old. It is our soul, which has lived many many lives.

------------------

Seeker of Truth
Lady Avalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2001, 08:43 AM   #68
WOLFGIR
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Quote:
Originally posted by Fljotsdale:
Um. No. Well, partly! 'Cos I believe it. But mostly in Jesus' humble opinion!
He NEVER called himself god. Said he was the SON of god. Apostles and disciples never called him god, either, only SON of god. In fact, nowhere in the bible is Jesus called god, except in one place, where the original Greek makes clear that he was 'with god and the Word was a god. This one was in the beginning with god.' The words in Greek used for god here were 'ton theon'=the god, (referring to God) and 'theos'=a god (referring to Jesus).
Obviously, the son of god would BE a god, but not THE god. (all info taken from the footnote to John 1:1. Nothing to do with me, lol!)
Sheesh! I think I shall stay out of this thread from now on. I'm giving lessons in the bible and I'm an ATHEIST, for pete's sake!

hehe, well youīre not alone. I too have read the Bible and I have read alot of religions I donīt believe in. This is to get better understanfing in them and to know how to not make a complete fool of yourself. It is also good to get rid of many of the "free-churches-maniac-house-callers" that has an unchristian early timing .. (OK, sorry guys, couldnīt help myself)

None the less, since I have made an ameateur hobby of Occultism (the bible is seen as this in countries not christian) I found religion and beliefs fascinating. Sometimes I thnk that generaly most people need faith in well almost anything, it is an anchor like many that is more philosophic have their "belief" in that their philosophy is right for them. Religion or no religion, we all believe in something in the crude end.

One thing I donīt like is to be told to believe in this or that. I respect people that have beliefs, I might judge some persons due to their beliefs, mainly cause I might have had bad outcomes with most of that belief, but that is human ok. I try to judge peopl for who the are or appear to be. And i would like to be treated that way myself. (Confusius anyone?)

Well. The bible is a criticle point to make decisions on (ok sorry if I donīt make sense but Iīm trying to ) since it was written down many centuries after it was told for the first time, and there are alot of different ones that claims to have the "true original one" Espacially tough when talking to Cabbalists and numerolists that needs to have every word correct to base their thesis of. (Hence the misunderstanding of the word 666, in some it is 606 or 601 all depending about the words in the human creation. Thats right, not the number of the beast, the beast has that number in his head in the oo someone help, book of revelations??? when he appears because satan was prisoned in earth to some thinkers..)

OK, sorry for the rumbling.

Well, er did take some steps both to left and right here eh??

------------------

WOLF WINS EVERY FIGHT BUT ONE, AND IN THAT ONE, HE DIES
WOLFGIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2001, 11:41 AM   #69
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Originally posted by Fljotsdale:
Um. No. Well, partly! 'Cos I believe it. But mostly in Jesus' humble opinion!
He NEVER called himself god. Said he was the SON of god. Apostles and disciples never called him god, either, only SON of god. In fact, nowhere in the bible is Jesus called god, except in one place, where the original Greek makes clear that he was 'with god and the Word was a god. This one was in the beginning with god.'
The beginning of the book of John is pretty clear about Y'shua and YHWH being one and the same. Also the old testament is full of prophecies that Y'shua fulfilled. His whole life and message was based around him being God and dying to "save" humanity. He didn't do much, didn't say much and didn't write any works. It's all about what he did - and what he did has inspired and filled millions with such freedom, joy and love.

It's also about that he affects his followers now. The change in peoples lives - and I have seen them - when they take him in their life is astounding. The healing in individuals, the centering. Their is no doubt in my mind he was God, the impact on individuals and history would be ludicrous if he was not.

In answer to the deja-vu, you only think you have dreamt it. That is the effect that I'm referring to. It's the only way the brain can rationalise such an experience. Most of us have the experience. I've had it a lot, and the knowledge that it is the nanosecond principle makes it disappear pretty quickly.

I also believe in one life not multiple lives for these reasons.

To me, it makes life experiences futile as no retention of the past exists. Those who forget the past are doomed to repeat it.
There are more people alive now than ever before. We are multiplying. Where did we all originate from if we are reincarnating? Certain people claim to have been born many many times over.

There is too much uncertainty about the theory. It is reliant on hypnotists digging up "supressed memories". Under hypnosis it is very easy to suggest and implant a "memory" as well as triggering delayed reactions to a preset event.

The reincarnation ideal needs a Hindu like philosophy to support it and give it meaning as this is where the theory originates. It's based on the Karmic principles of reward and consequence that to my observations have led to a tolerance of abuses and disregard for human rights Fjlotsdale so bemoaned in her previous post.

Taking reincarnation theory without it's parental pantheistic theory is like taking Jesus out of Christianitys heaven. It leaves only the consequence without a reason for it.

I'm short of time, so I can't elaborate. Sorry for the dryness.

Yorick

Yorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2001, 05:56 PM   #70
Lord Shield

Quote:
Originally posted by Lady Avalon:
I have read all these posts with great interest. Amazing the different points of view we all have. A lot of you have been talking about the Bible. Just a thought for whatever it's worth - the Bible was written by man.

And, as I have mentioned, repeatedly edited by the church too. I do not consider the Bible itself when somebody asks me the question - for all we know, it was intended as a novel. But beliefs have existed long before written books. Some o fus have developed beliefs surrounding supernatural occurrences we have witnessed/participated in