Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2001, 04:53 PM   #31
Moni

Quote:
Originally posted by Fljotsdale:
Moni, when I read that last comment, my stomach turned over. I could be misunderstanding your intent here, so forgive me in advance, please, if I have..... but Moni, I am 64, almost 65. Think about that. I was brought up during world war 2. I had bombs dropping close to my home. My parents were out almost every night doing ambulance duty (mom was a nurse) or firewatching (dad was a fireman). We spent most nights with our grandparents and we never knew if our mom and dad would come home. We had anti-aircraft barrages just at the top of our road, and the stuttering of their guns every night and often during the day, Grman bombers were frequently overflying our home on the way to bomb the local airport, and mistaking the new roading at one end of our roead for the airport runways, and bombing it.
You Americans have NEVER had your precious flesh touched on the scale that we in the UK have. NEVER. And even the UK was not touched as much as the rest of Europe.
And NOW the middle Eastern countries have suffered terrible loss of life in bombings and missile attackes while the American soldiery stayed home 'cos 'American soldiers musn't be hurt'.
I'm stopping now, 'cos I'm getting incoherant and may go way over the top.
And I still hate jingoism.

Not getting at you, Moni, nor Americans, really, but, much as my heart goes out to you there is a little bit of me that keeps saying 'maybe NOW they get some understanding of the rest of the world's anguish'. WE understand America's suffering. It is so sad that America seems blind to anyone elses.
Sorry. I just had to say it.

If you want to kick me off the forum, so be it.

You did misunderstand me...as much as I misunderstood you...I had no idea until I read your post addressing me just how mistaken you really are as to what America is all about and I have a few things to say to you.

You are hardly alone in your memories of WWII Fljotsdale, my grandfathers were there, fighting alongside Europeans, my great-uncles perished on Eurpoean soil, leaving families behind. My grandmother worked as a military nurse and as a nurse in a Veteran's hospital until she retired and then died. Just because you personally were exposed to the bombings and I wasn't does not mean I haven't any clue nor does it mean that I have suffered no losses nor seen the physical or emotional scars that my own family members carried because of it!

I know people personally who were enlisted and stationed at Pearl Harbor when the Japenese bombed it. Just because I was not there does not mean I have never felt their pain...they still carried it around with them in the 1970's!

Rex's grandfather fought on Japenese soil....every American family that I have ever known has had some tale of loss and grief through that war, so don't kid yourself that we never got hurt!

Quote:
You Americans have NEVER had your precious flesh touched on the scale that we in the UK have. NEVER. And even the UK was not touched as much as the rest of Europe.
And NOW the middle Eastern countries have suffered terrible loss of life in bombings and missile attackes while the American soldiery stayed home 'cos 'American soldiers musn't be hurt'.
This is precisely the attitude toward Americans I was talking about.

Our "precious flesh". I can see you sneer as you say it and it sickens me.

You'll never understand because you carry to much hatred in your heart for this country.

Quote:
Not getting at you, Moni, nor Americans,.....WE understand America's suffering. It is so sad that America seems blind to anyone elses.

If that were the truth, you should have reconsidered saying any of this because I am sure you'll be sorry for it later on and you are really too old for any more misery in your life, my friend!

I could laugh at you but I pity you, Fljotsdale, I really pity you.

I could ask HOW DARE YOU?! but, I know you just don't get it from an American perspective, you never will...Britain has a history as conquerers and oppressors, not as a nation who will protect their fellow man...you'll never understand.

Get ready to see the atrocity land in all our flag-waving AMERICAN front yards and get out your popcorn and be ready to cheer...at this point I would expect nothing less from you.

Talk about someone's stomach turning! You just make me even prouder to be an American.

You have "jingoism" mistaken with love, Fljotsdale...love for our country, love for our fellow man...how could you ever be expected to understand if you have never been willing to take in the world's unwanted, go to the aid of the world's forsaken, or stand up as the world's protector?

Kick you off the board? No, you need to be here, you still have a lot to learn about what this country stands for.
You need some insight as to what patriotism~loving your country means in this country in contrast to your alien view of the concept.

I am so thankful right now to know that my English ancestors came over here! So Thankful!!!

God Bless America

------------------

You know childhood is over when a puddle seems like an obstacle instead of an opportunity.

Is Too! Is Not! Is Too! Is Not!

[This message has been edited by Moni (edited 09-14-2001).]

Old 09-14-2001, 05:03 PM   #32
Fljotsdale
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Quote:
Originally posted by Moni:
This is precisely the attitude toward Americans I was talking about.
Our "precious flesh". I can see you sneer as you say it and it sickens me.
You'll never understand because you carry to much hatred in your heart for this country.
Quote:
WE understand America's suffering. It is so sad that America seems blind to anyone elses.

You should have reconsidered saying any of this because I am sure you'll be sorry for it later on and you are really too old for any more misery in your life, my friend!
I could laugh at you but I pity you, Fljotsdale, I really pity you.
I could ask HOW DARE YOU?! but, I know you just don't get it from an American perspective, you never will...Britain has a history as conquerers and oppressors, not as a nation who will protect their fellow man...you'll never understand.
Get ready to see the atrocity land in all our flag-waving AMERICAN front yards and get out your popcorn and be ready to cheer...at this point I would expect nothing less from you.
Talk about someone's stomach turning! You just make me even prouder to be an American.
You have "jingoism" mistaken with love, Fljotsdale...love for our country, love for our fellow man...how could you ever be expected to understand if you have never been willing to take in the world's unwanted, go to the aid of the world's forsaken, or stand up as the world's protector?
Kick you off the board? No, you need to be here, you still have a lot to learn about what this country stands for.
You need some insight as to what patriotism~loving your country means in this country in contrast to your alien view of the concept.
I am so thankful right now to know that my English ancestors came over here! So Thankful!!!
God Bless America

I really thought better of you than this, Moni. I have never sneered at you, nor at America. I should have thought you should know by now that I like Americans. That comment was not a sneer. I am sorry you misconstrued it as such. I considerd you a friend.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Fljotsdale (edited 09-14-2001).]
Old 09-14-2001, 05:05 PM   #33
Moni

As I consider you, but you just don't get it and if I was at all mean, perhaps you should re-read what you posted and re-think how people in America who do care might be affected by your apparent hate and ignorance.

I'm disgusted.

------------------

You know childhood is over when a puddle seems like an obstacle instead of an opportunity.

[This message has been edited by Moni (edited 09-14-2001).]

Old 09-14-2001, 05:17 PM   #34
Fljotsdale

Quote:
As I consider you, but you just don't get it and if I was at all mean, perhaps you should re-read what you posted and re-think how people in America who do care might be affected by your apparent hate and ignorance.

I'm disgusted.

Moni, I have re-read it carefully, and I cannot understand you reaction except that you are feeling very vulnerable at the moment. I understand {b]that[/b]. There is no breath of hatred in the post. How can there be, when I do not feel it? There was real sadness, some mild annoyance, and an honest expression that I hoped America might have some increased understanding of others' grief in thier trials. There was no trace of malice. But I apologise if I added to your natural distress.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Fljotsdale (edited 09-14-2001).]
Old 09-14-2001, 05:20 PM   #35
Moni

Quote:
Moni, I have re-read it carefully, and I cannot understand you reaction except that you are feeling very vulnerable at the moment.
You don't what I am feeling right now Fljotsdale and to describe it, before I read your post, vulnerable wasn't even on the page.
I was happy to be here.

God Bless You

------------------

Old 09-14-2001, 05:25 PM   #36
Fljotsdale

Quote:
Originally posted by MILAMBER:
I understand you a little bit better after your last post there F. Like Nachtrafe said, we have been a little on the patriotic side recently, but that's not because we are war mongers or anything like that. It is more to show support to eachother that we do this. Once again, I'm sorry if this bothers you, but please try to view it with our original intent in mind.

Sure! I DO understand, and I respect your feelings, Milamber. But it still makes me VERY uncomfortable! As I said - upbringing!
I think that because we speak much the same language, Brits and Americans think we understand each other, but in reality our cultures are rather different, and misunderstanding is easier than we would expect.

------------------

Old 09-14-2001, 05:27 PM   #37
adam warlock
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

peace now?

[This message has been edited by adam warlock (edited 09-14-2001).]
Old 09-14-2001, 05:31 PM   #38
Fljotsdale

Quote:
You don't what I am feeling right now Fljotsdale and to describe it, before I read your post, vulnerable wasn't even on the page.
I was happy to be here.
God Bless You

(((((((HUGS)))))))

May your god be with you, and your country.

------------------

Old 09-14-2001, 05:37 PM   #39
Fljotsdale

Quote:
Originally posted by adam warlock:
peace now?

[This message has been edited by adam warlock (edited 09-14-2001).]
Don't worry, Adam. Moni and I have had misunderstandings before, but that is what they are - misunderstandings. She thought I was making an attack on America, so she came out with all guns blazing. We are friends, though!
Thanks for caring.

------------------

Old 09-14-2001, 05:45 PM   #40
Moni

Quote:
Don't worry, Adam. Moni and I have had misunderstandings before, but that is what they are - misunderstandings. She thought I was making an attack on America, so she came out with all guns blazing. We are friends, though!
Thanks for caring.

Guns blazing hell!
I was being nice.

------------------