Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Dragon Age™ Origins

Old 06-29-2010, 02:22 PM   #1
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Question Mark Class that is the most fun to play?

Discuss.
Old 06-29-2010, 11:36 PM   #2
T-D-C
Ironworks Moderator

Default Re: Class that is the most fun to play?

Mage, Blowing stuff up is fun, plus if I want I can wade in and go toe to toe!
Old 07-06-2010, 03:24 AM   #3
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

I am kinda bored with rogue...call me lazy but it is too much work to constantly manuever him to backstab for every fight. Many times, by the time I have done so, my casters have already blown the mob up! I am thinking of trying an archer-type but not sure how viable it would be and/or fun. I tried mage and felt it was almost too overpowered. I put my party on "hold your position" throw a firestorm in the room and an icestorm and pretty much everything is dead.

I find it hard to enjoy this game as I get deeper into it. Can't seem to keep the fun factor alive. Maybe it's me. Maybe on some level I want it to be D&D or nothing at all.
*shrug*
Old 07-06-2010, 05:53 PM   #4
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Love the mages but I had a lot of fun with my noble warrior- she was the first character I finished the game (and Awakening) with. I'm not used to playing the warrior-types, usually go with the mages or healers most games, so I'm trying all the possibilities here. The only one I had a lot of trouble with was the archer/rouge. Kept getting wiped out in the Mage tower.
Old 07-07-2010, 12:25 AM   #5
Kyrvias
Lord Ao

Personally, I found rogue to be the most fun- but that's because I did a solo run with one. It forced me to really utilize, and understand the rogue's strengths and weaknesses. Creating and laying traps, creating the little thrown bombs. Backstabbing when appropriate. Bigger fights were long and arduous- but realistically, wouldn't it? A lone rogue wouldn't wade into combat.

Find a narrow choke point, lay a few snare traps, a few damage and damage over time traps, lure them over and chuck a few bombs when they're stuck. Then mop up the rest with some whirlwinds and devastator blows from dual weilding.

A warrior doesn't have that many options, and a mage fast becomes the same formula. Just my personal opinion, however.
Kyrvias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 01:32 AM   #6
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Thumbs Up Re: Class that is the most fun to play?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyrvias View Post
Personally, I found rogue to be the most fun- but that's because I did a solo run with one. It forced me to really utilize, and understand the rogue's strengths and weaknesses. Creating and laying traps, creating the little thrown bombs. Backstabbing when appropriate. Bigger fights were long and arduous- but realistically, wouldn't it? A lone rogue wouldn't wade into combat.

Find a narrow choke point, lay a few snare traps, a few damage and damage over time traps, lure them over and chuck a few bombs when they're stuck. Then mop up the rest with some whirlwinds and devastator blows from dual weilding.

A warrior doesn't have that many options, and a mage fast becomes the same formula. Just my personal opinion, however.
Yes I agree with you, the mage formula is a tired and boring one for me. Once I got high enough to see the swirling firestorm and icestorm together, I was already "over it".

I feel the same about rogue though too. It's just not fun having to manuever and position him in every single fight. Doing it while the game is unpaused is a disaster too because he keeps turning 'round the front of the mob. Yes, I've messed with the tactics like people told me, but there's nothing that can assure me my rogue will assume a backstabbing posture in a fight. So, I gotta babysit him for each fight and he gets envious of other classes that just stand back and "pew-pew".

I have tried warrior which was fun but not as powerful as I expected. I wielded a big dirty two hander and got the blood talents from the DLC. It was fun but he attracts alot of aggro and I am having to pop a potion before I have even attacked usually. If I understand correctly, anyone wearing plate automatically generates more threat and attracts aggro. The problem is, if your warrior is not a tank (no shield, no tanking abilties) and is DPS primarily, you will constantly be taking damage. Correct me if I am wrong here but that is how I think it works, right?

I didn't know you could solo the game through? I assumed you needed certain characters with you to advance the plot. This might be something that could re-invent things for me. I want to get into this game, just finding it hard to achieve long-term interest. This is why I was asking about the best classes to play. Keep the suggestions coming, maybe I will find something that will resonate with me.
Old 07-09-2010, 04:12 AM   #7
Kyrvias
Lord Ao

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiritWarrior View Post
I didn't know you could solo the game through? I assumed you needed certain characters with you to advance the plot. This might be something that could re-invent things for me. I want to get into this game, just finding it hard to achieve long-term interest. This is why I was asking about the best classes to play. Keep the suggestions coming, maybe I will find something that will resonate with me.
It's more along the lines of partial soloing. You solo what you can, and when you are required to take along a character, just make them "Wait" at the beginning of a level. Few and far between are those times where you absolutely have to do something with a party, thankfully.
Kyrvias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 09:35 PM   #8
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

I might try this. Good to know.
Old 07-14-2010, 12:24 AM   #9
CerebroDragon
Red Wizard of Thay

3D SuperBall Champion Asteroids Champion Battle of Helms Deep Champion Moon Patrol Champion Pac Man Champion
Spy Hunter Champion Super Mario Mushroom Champion

I haven't tried a Rogue playthrough yet, but reading this thread makes me intend to at least try it out for some backstabbity goodness.

On mage-play - it's only formulaic if you come to rely on the same methods all the time. If one is creative in both skill and spell choices and even party dynamics, you don't necessarily have to do the same thing all the time. Interestingly, it was only in Awakenings that I really did start to use the Crushing Prison/Blood Wound combination to great effect. Before that, I relied more on the Morrigan combinations with my blood mage (fire/ice) without resorting to blizzard/inferno spam.
- Brilhasti Ap Tarj
CerebroDragon is offline   Reply With Quote