Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-2004, 05:55 PM   #41
Lanesra
Symbol of Cyric

I've donated for about 20 years now, it's a wonderful feeling to know you've helped someone.
Old 09-06-2004, 07:43 AM   #42
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

Hey, sorry to resurect an oldish thread, but I just wanted to say something.
I gave blood for the fourth time today, which isnt bad considering I am only 17, and really wanted to stress the fact that so much blood is needed, here in Australia, and Im sure it is also needed in all the other countries, anyway, it does not hurt like some people think, and I really want to encourage people to do it, and anyway, whats a tiny prick, when you could save someones life, or prevent loads of pain?
Anyway, please do it.
I can undersatnd that some people cant do it, or dont want to, but for those who can its worth it.
Old 09-06-2004, 08:15 AM   #43
Dave_the_quack
Baaz Draconian

I dont mean to sound wimpy... but even just reading this thread has made me go weak and lightheaded. As in, I can barely function my arms properly.

Its not that I think my blood is my own and noone else should get it (my god its hard to type when your about to faint off ur chair), its more of a case that I cant possibly stand the thought of something solid impaling my body. *shudders*

This being said, I can do it when it has to be done. I went and got a HIV test because of my sexuality, and the fact that I thought I was drugged and raped while clubbing in sydney one night. I was so much more scared of the results than the actual needle itself, heh.

In case your all worried about my health (oh i know you all are [img]tongue.gif[/img] ) the test came back fine. Although, I do have some sort of iron deficiency... so im not sure if my blood is even good to give lol.

End of rant [img]smile.gif[/img] *falls off chair*
Old 09-06-2004, 08:25 AM   #44
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave_the_quack:
I dont mean to sound wimpy... but even just reading this thread has made me go weak and lightheaded. As in, I can barely function my arms properly.

Its not that I think my blood is my own and noone else should get it (my god its hard to type when your about to faint off ur chair), its more of a case that I cant possibly stand the thought of something solid impaling my body. *shudders*

This being said, I can do it when it has to be done. I went and got a HIV test because of my sexuality, and the fact that I thought I was drugged and raped while clubbing in sydney one night. I was so much more scared of the results than the actual needle itself, heh.

In case your all worried about my health (oh i know you all are [img]tongue.gif[/img] ) the test came back fine. Although, I do have some sort of iron deficiency... so im not sure if my blood is even good to give lol.

End of rant [img]smile.gif[/img] *falls off chair*
Hehehe, maybe you should get something to eat [img]smile.gif[/img]
Hey I know its not for everyone, but if you have ever considered it then you should go ahead.

Oh and sorry if I offended anyone with my "hating people who hate needles" post, I was only trying to understand who actually liked needles.
Old 09-06-2004, 03:44 PM   #45
Lucern
Quintesson

The last time I gave blood I was at college, and I made my best friend come watch. I'm not sure why, in retrospect lol - she's extremely squeamish. We were trying to have a conversation so I wouldn't have to think about it or be compelled to look at it, but she kept glancing over and turned really pale. She had to sit down, and they offered HER a cookie LOL.

I realize the importance of it and that your body replenishes it in due time, but it made me tired and sore for like 3 days. Then the blood bank called me about 16 times after the waiting period to say "You know, you can give blood again." It was informative the first time, but the others were like guilt trips. I plan on doing it again (not like I do anything important that soreness will prevent), but probably won't do so at that particular bank.

A positive all the way!

Side note: My room-mate couldn't give blood because he was in Britain when they had their mad-cow scare. We teased him about that of course.
Old 09-06-2004, 04:44 PM   #46
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

When I did the blood work for my Part I retirement physical, I had them draw some for a donation test. They calmly told me to return to clinic in 3 years for another test. That really makes me wonder????

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy
35th President of The United States

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Jesus died for our sins, and American Soldiers died for our freedom.

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Old 09-06-2004, 05:45 PM   #47
aleph_null1
Red Wizard of Thay

Quote:
Originally posted by Hivetyrant:
Oh and sorry if I offended anyone with my "hating people who hate needles" post, I was only trying to understand who actually liked needles.
For what it's worth -- and don't look at me funny -- I'm one of those people who do actually like needles. I've always liked them, and I think the entire process horribly exciting.

And no, I'm not masochistic in any other way; I just like needles!

Now, that said, I give my A- blood once every two months, and do it because I know it helps people, often people I know. That I enjoy giving it is a lovely side effect [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 09-07-2004, 01:46 AM   #48
Lucern
Quintesson

3 cheers for Arvon - that's a lot of blood. Felix - curious, maybe that's their way of getting people to come back? I'd rather just get a card in the mail a week before...
Old 09-07-2004, 07:38 AM   #49
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by aleph_null1:
quote:
Originally posted by Hivetyrant:
For what it's worth -- and don't look at me funny -- I'm one of those people who do actually like needles. I've always liked them, and I think the entire process horribly exciting.

And no, I'm not masochistic in any other way; I just like needles!

Now, that said, I give my A- blood once every two months, and do it because I know it helps people, often people I know. That I enjoy giving it is a lovely side effect [img]tongue.gif[/img]
[/QUOTE]Well, we all gotta love something. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-07-2004, 10:20 AM   #50
Stormymystic
Knight of the Rose

Quote:
Originally posted by Felix The Assassin:
When I did the blood work for my Part I retirement physical, I had them draw some for a donation test. They calmly told me to return to clinic in 3 years for another test. That really makes me wonder????
you are in the service right? they will do that. if I am correct, being in the service means you can not give blood for x amount of years, for my husband it was 10 years before he could donate anything like that....