Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 12-14-2003, 07:53 PM   #1
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

Before anyone complains, yes I'm aware there is a book/movie/TV forum here, but I've posted this in GD because, if what was said last year by mods still holds, The Lord of the Rings transcends forum bounds.

This is a question about the book, but it may contain spoilers for movie and book alike, so beware you nasty, little, thieving hobbitses.
I've just finished re-reading LotR in anticipation of RotK's release this Wednesday(I've already taken the day off work ), but I've come across something weirder than Wormtongue.

In the beginning of the book, there is much preparation for Bilbo's Eleventy-First(111st) birthday party, but when the remaining Fellowship returns to Rivendal near the end in order for Frodo to reunite with Bilbo, Bilbo says tomorrow is his 129th birthday?

Now after completing his mission and going to Gondor, Gandalf tells Frodo it's been less than a year since he left the Shire. After leaving Bilbo, in Rivendale, for the return to Shire Frodo, on the anniversary(I'm assuming the first) of the completion of his mission, is feeling dread in the dark wounds received during the quest. That makes it less than 2 years doesn't it, not 18?

I'm sure I'm missing something obvious and bet that the bit of Holiday Cheer from this afternoon/evening has something to do with a less than clear head on the subject, but I can't go to bed without asking. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-14-2003, 07:58 PM   #2
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

If I remember correctly, Frodo did not leave the shire for a while after the birthday party. There was a considerable amount of time before he journey began. I think I read that somewhere...but cannot quote it from anything specific. Thus, the actual journey did take place as Gandalf described.
Old 12-14-2003, 08:10 PM   #3
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

Now I started re-reading LotR midway through Book 3(part 1 of TTT) because I'd read from the beginning to that point last year and slacked off until now, but I do remember Bilbo's leaving after the party while Frodo remained and Gandalf researched the ring, but I had no idea the delay between Frodo and Bilbo's departures was 16 years. [img]smile.gif[/img]

I must admit, re-reading the second half in the past ten days has been great. There were so many things I missed in my original reading a dozen years ago! Maybe I'll start doing what Christopher Lee has done for the past three decades, read it once a year. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-15-2003, 12:30 AM   #4
HolyWarrior
User Suspended for 2 weeks by Ziroc [Dec30]

Frodo was 33 at the time of the party. Remember when Bilbo made the comment about their ages adding to 144, or one gross?
Frodo was 50 when he left the Shire. That's 17 years the movie glosses over.
Old 12-15-2003, 04:11 PM   #5
Cerek the Barbaric
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
Originally posted by HolyWarrior:
Frodo was 33 at the time of the party. Remember when Bilbo made the comment about their ages adding to 144, or one gross?
Frodo was 50 when he left the Shire. That's 17 years the movie glosses over.
WOW!!! [img]graemlins/wow.gif[/img] I also never realized that there was THAT much time between the Birthday Party and the actually beginning of the Quest to return the ring. Guess I may have to either dust off my old books....or maybe just buy new copies with the cool movie covers.