Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 11-04-2004, 10:59 AM   #1
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

I am in the market to buy, but would like to be pointed in a generally good direction on how to purchase one that is worth the money.
Old 11-05-2004, 12:14 PM   #2
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

Larry, when it comes to portable electronics I spend the extra money and buy only one brand, Sony. I have seen Sony products dropped in mud, coated with dust, covered with oily substances, and just about anything else a soldier could attempt just shy of smashing it. I have seen exceptional service, or replacement at 'No Cost', so I have stuck with them.

My digicam is now 2 years old, it's a Sony, 4MP, with 3 level video capability. In Hi-Res mode it will compete with just about any other brand dedicated digi-vid.

From the 2nd year after we bought our video camera some 13 odd years ago, we have not used one. However, my new one has the capability, and exceptional quality, that mode is not used very often.

I don't have the 'short-cut' on this machine, but there is a dedicated site that reviews nothing but digital products. There one can read real reviews from real people on all sorts of digital products.

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy
35th President of The United States

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Jesus died for our sins, and American Soldiers died for our freedom.

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Old 11-06-2004, 11:07 PM   #3
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

To add to what Felix said, what I would look for are features that you want. And I can tell you that my average experience uses almost none of the fancy features in my camera [img]smile.gif[/img]

I'd look for memory, pixel size, and display ability. The little screen display is probably the single most common "feature" I use on mine.
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Old 11-08-2004, 01:25 PM   #4
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Thanks for the tips, you two. Both are valid and useful posts. I will keep this in mind as I begin to shop.

Another thing. Don't ya think I should wait until after the holidays so that the prices will not be at a premium and there be a higher selection in the stores?

Whaddya think?
Old 11-08-2004, 02:19 PM   #5
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

What I would look for is a model being discontinued. Its price will then drop quite nicely. Don't worry too much about it being discontinued; that's why you go with a name brand like Sony. Your model will be obsolete (technology-wise) within a year, two tops, and it will be discontinued or replaced then.

If you want to get something the day after Christmas, that's one thing; everyone's selling stuff like mad then. Just know what model and features you're looking for first, and if you can't find it, don't get it [img]smile.gif[/img]
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Old 11-09-2004, 03:25 AM   #6
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

When I thought I was going to be getting that $45,000 from Microsoft, I was GOING to buy this maybe:

http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/con...&modelid=10350

It's a PRO Camcorder, and is one of the best in the world. It's also $5000 though. If I ever win a lotto, it's MINE!

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album