Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-13-2003, 01:42 PM   #11
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by antryg:
The only source of unbiased reporting on Fox that I know of is The Simpsons. It is the only program Fox has that has a TV personality and the level of journalism of integrity is much higher than their news programs. Besides, I think Homer is much smarter than O'Riley.
[img]graemlins/thewave.gif[/img] *APPLAUSE* [img]graemlins/thewave.gif[/img]
You are SO right. [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
Old 08-13-2003, 01:58 PM   #12
pritchke
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Quote:
Originally posted by Lord Lothar:
This is almost as stupid as Spike Lee suing TNN when they wanted to change their name to Spike TV.
Keeps all the lawyers paid I guess.

[ 08-13-2003, 02:00 PM: Message edited by: pritchke ]
pritchke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2003, 08:29 PM   #13
Chewbacca
Zartan

Guess who's lawsuit got dissed?

Story

Quote:
NEW YORK, Aug. 22 — A federal judge on Friday denied Fox News Channel’s request for an injunction to block humorist Al Franken’s new book, whose title mocks the Fox slogan “fair and balanced.”

U.S. DISTRICT JUDGE Denny Chin said Fox’s claim was “wholly without merit, both factually and legally.”
The network had argued the subtitle to Franken’s book “Lies and the Lying Liars Who Tell Them” could trick some consumers into believing the book is associated with Fox.
The book’s subtitle is “A fair and balanced look at the Right.”
Fox trademarked “fair and balanced” in 1998.

The book went on sale nationally Thursday, moved up from its September rollout date because of publicity from the lawsuit.
The publisher added 50,000 copies to the original run of 270,000 after the suit was filed.

The cover features Franken standing in front of a television monitor with screens of President Bush, Vice President Dick Cheney, conservative pundit Ann Coulter and Fox host Bill O’Reilly.
The word “Lies,” in the title, appears in large print over the four screens.

The Fox lawsuit described Franken as a “C-level political commentator” who is “increasingly unfunny” and suggested he was “intoxicated or deranged” when he confronted a table of Fox personalities at a correspondents’ dinner in April.
Old 08-22-2003, 09:12 PM   #14
Azimaith
Manshoon

Argh I'm surrounded by democrats! ARGH! Ok ok, i've never looked at FOX as fair and balanced, its not, its conservative, of course I never looked at CNN as fair and balanced either, they are obviously liberal. As for my local news in hawaii, jeez they have got to be the worst example of fair and balanced news, definately liberal indeed, anyhow I don't think there are ANY fair and balanced news sources, its all liberal or conservative even though most Americans mark themselves as independants or moderates. Wheres the love I tell ya!
The Democrats bash the Republicans and the Republicans bash the democrats, now everyones got mud in their eyes and they can\'t see what matters.<br />Check out this site: [url]\"http://www.thehaca.com/about.htm\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.thehaca.com/about.htm</a>
Azimaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2003, 10:27 PM   #15
Iron_Ranger
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by Azimaith:
Argh I'm surrounded by democrats! ARGH! Ok ok, i've never looked at FOX as fair and balanced, its not, its conservative, of course I never looked at CNN as fair and balanced either, they are obviously liberal. As for my local news in hawaii, jeez they have got to be the worst example of fair and balanced news, definately liberal indeed, anyhow I don't think there are ANY fair and balanced news sources, its all liberal or conservative even though most Americans mark themselves as independants or moderates. Wheres the love I tell ya!
You get used to all the liberal non sence after a while...Well ok, no you dont. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Fraken is a sad person. I dont know why any one would waste their time filing a law suit against him. I wonder how he's doing on the book sales.
<br />[url]\"http://www.bratgirlcentral.com/cgi-bin/ouapforum/ikonboard/ikonboard.cgi\" target=\"_blank\">Once Upon A Paper</a><br />Living on a razors edge<br />Balancing on ledge<br />Living on a razors edge
Iron_Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2003, 04:03 AM   #16
Donut
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Iron_Ranger:
I wonder how he's doing on the book sales.
Remakably well actually!

Quote:
Originally posted by Chewbacca:

The book went on sale nationally Thursday, moved up from its September rollout date because of publicity from the lawsuit.
The publisher added 50,000 copies to the original run of 270,000 after the suit was filed.

[ 08-23-2003, 04:04 AM: Message edited by: Donut ]
[img]\"http://www.wheatsheaf.freeserve.co.uk/roastspurs.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Proud member of the Axis of Upheaval<br />Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas<br />Josiah Bartlet - the best President the US never had.<br />The 1st D in the D & D Show
Donut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2003, 04:51 AM   #17
Chewbacca
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Azimaith:
Woah.. I aint no stinkin demo-crat. Aint no steenkun ree-publican eeeither.
Old 08-23-2003, 08:31 PM   #18
Davros
Takhisis Follower

Pity the judge who threw it out didn't go on to find FOX in contempt of basic broadcasting ideals and standards of human intelligence for even attempting to tie the words "fair and balanced" to themselves. If ever there was a case for a lawsuit on the basis of misleading advertising ......
Old 08-24-2003, 04:52 AM   #19
Faceman
Hathor

I always wondered:
Why is it fraud, if a poor guy - who desperately needs the money - sells you something telling you everything is alright although it's broken.
BUT
If a company which sells something which is low quality and will break in half a week tells you the thing is alright and will hold forever, it's advertisement.

I mean, come on, what kind of hypocrisy is that. "The people who watch our commercials know very well that this cleaner/fragrance/car/microwave pizza/... does not clean/smell/run/taste THAT well like we show it on TV. It's just advertisement everybody knows that"
And if they don't they get screwed. I understand (although don't like) that politicians can't be held responsible for breaking their campaign promises (because they can't actually know if they'd be possible after election) but why can't a company be held responsible for advertising something as the "new revolution in taste" when it closely compares to rotten eggs.