Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-16-2005, 09:33 PM   #1
Rockstar
Zhentarim Guard

hey everybody,

The boots of speed in the first game only increased foot movement, but in BGII it increases attack speed as well. Does any body here not use the boots of speed because it makes the game too easy.

I hear many of the members here play on insane difficulty, but has anybody here tried 'core rules' without the boots of speed?

[ 01-16-2005, 09:35 PM: Message edited by: Rockstar ]
Rockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 09:54 PM   #2
timothy trotter
Drizzt Do'Urden

i am playing without them because i didnt get them i coulnt find all the coins to get them might have to sk them in and throw away some gold though, i wasnt aware the increase attack speed
Old 01-16-2005, 10:28 PM   #3
Balintherlas
Symbol of Cyric

U can also get them in

Spoiler

The Haer Delis quest when u go to the other dimension or whatever
Old 01-16-2005, 11:25 PM   #4
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

The BG2 Boots of Speed do add the "Haste" icon to your portrait, but it doesn't actually affect your ApR or Speed Factor. Unless, of course, you're playing without the patches, since there is a pair of Boots that actually confer permanent Haste, and could be obtained by the player in an unpatched game.

Quote:
Originally posted by timothy trotter:
i am playing without them because i didnt get them i coulnt find all the coins to get them might have to sk them in and throw away some gold though,
Yeah, you'll just have to cheat them in, because the game ends if you don't get the Boots of Speed.
Old 01-19-2005, 01:08 AM   #5
timothy trotter
Drizzt Do'Urden

yeah i thought i would loose if i didnt have the boots. have a cry, i dont care what you reckon about my style of gameplay. if you have such a big problem with it, keep it to yourself. i dont need to have you complain about it. everyone plays the way THEY want to play to ensure THEY have the most fun for them. Get over it...
Old 01-19-2005, 01:20 AM   #6
Dace De'Briago
Silver Dragon

lmfao

Handbags at dawn ladies
Dace De'Briago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 01:32 AM   #7
timothy trotter
Drizzt Do'Urden

haha yeah better find my hair net too
Old 01-19-2005, 07:04 AM   #8
Cerek
Registered Member
Iron Throne Cult

Quote:
Originally posted by timothy trotter:
yeah i thought i would loose if i didnt have the boots. have a cry, i dont care what you reckon about my style of gameplay. if you have such a big problem with it, keep it to yourself. i dont need to have you complain about it. everyone plays the way THEY want to play to ensure THEY have the most fun for them. Get over it...
Heya timothy.

I agree with you that it doesn't matter what other members think of your gaming style, but there also isn't any need to be so defensive about it. I've used SK plenty of times to change character proficiencies or to give items to my characters. I also almost always download non-standard items that I find and like into my games. Some people consider this "cheating" or consider some of the items I've used in the past to be power-gaming. That is fine. If they don't want to use those items or play that way - no problem. But I play the game for MY enjoyment and I don't worry about whether others approve of my methods or not.

WE have one member on here that constantly plays on Insane Difficulty and has completed the game several times without a single Reload. Meanwhile, I only play on Normal Difficulty so that I get max hit points and always successfully write spells into my spellbook - and I reload dozens of times in every game.

The difference is that the NRL (No Reloads) member obviously has a lot more time to play the game than I do. I'm one of the older members here. I'm married and have 3 children as well as a full time job. So I'm lucky if I get 1-2 hours a day to play on my PC, and of course I'm simply too tired to play a lot of nights. Meanwhile, our NRL member will complete the entire game in just 2-3 days. I rarely complete a single quest that quickly.

Anyway, the point is that there is nothing wrong with not caring whether other people like your style or not, but there is a better way to communicate that than getting angry and telling them to "keep it to themselves" and "get over it". This is a very friendly forum and the Mods encourage all the members to treat each other with respect and courtesy, whether they agree on certain issues or not. Remember, these posts are nothing more than words on a screen. Don't let yourself get so upset over them - and if you do - it is usually better to address the member in PM's instead of publicly.

Just some friendly, unsolicited advice from a self-appointed mini-Mod.
Old 01-19-2005, 10:26 AM   #9
Aragorn1
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by Cerek:
Just some friendly, unsolicited advice from a self-appointed mini-Mod.
Wow, you sound just like a real mod...
You could get a job here.

i agree totally with what your saying, play it your own way...
I do things that some would call cheating, not major CF-in-first-chapter, but altering Korgan's proficiencies when i picked him up late . I kept the same base ones and aded as i would have had he of been in the party. I was just so that he could use the weapon i intened him to use. I wuld have ever condieder it wrong to add stats, but not to use those roed as you wish, but some players beleive you must have 10 in everything to be realistic.

Having said about his reponse to the criticism, Six, YOU should know better you've been here a long while, live and let live and don't worry about the way others play as long as you enjoy the way you play.

[ 01-19-2005, 10:29 AM: Message edited by: Aragorn1 ]
Aragorn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 02:57 PM   #10
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by Aragorn1:
Having said about his reponse to the criticism, Six, YOU should know better you've been here a long while, live and let live and don't worry about the way others play as long as you enjoy the way you play.
What I gleaned from timothy's post was that he was already past Spellhold, heard that it was possible to get Boots of Speed there, and decided, "Hey, even though I didn't get a powerful magical item for free there, wouldn't it be cool if I had?! I think I deserve those Boots." Call me a sanctimonious prick if you wish, but that just strikes me as a not-very-respectable way to play.
But I still think the classic "Let's Forget About Roleplaying" award goes to the guy whose party was Korgan, Edwin, Viconia, Jan, and a LAWFUL GOOD Kensai->Mage.

You can still play in whatever style you wish, of course, but that also means that others are allowed to hold--and air--whatever opinions they may have of that style. You get to be free, I get to be wry. I cheat too, of course: I just started an Assassin named Yellowdart, who has an enhanced Movement Rate in lieu of Bhaalspawn Abilities. Think of that what you will.