Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-08-2003, 04:45 PM   #11
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion
We've never been fake snow people. I also HATE with a passion the so-called 'carols' Walking in a Winter Wonderland and Frosty the Snowman - they are not about Christmas! They are totally inappropriate to sing here! Although I would enjoy spending Christmas in the northern hemisphere just once - it would be an interesting experience opening presents in my woollies instead of summer jammies.

Anyway, one of our concessions to Aussie heat is to have Christmas dinner instead of lunch - I can't believe how many Australians have a traditional roast meal at lunchtime; far far too hot to be having the oven on at 11am [img]graemlins/idontagreeatall.gif[/img] . We also have a barbecue instead of a roast meal. We decorate traditionally as well. There's a LOT of seafood sold at Christmastime as well - a very appropriate meal to serve in the weather. I have seen occasions where people have a 'summer santa' - dressed in beach wear and thongs instead of the big suit - a great idea really! I would hate to draw the short straw and have to frolic around in that death-trap on a 40 degree Christmas day. Frankly I don't know how the department-store santas cope either! Even with air conditioning it's certainly not good weather for a santa suit.
Old 12-08-2003, 05:55 PM   #12
Lady Blue03
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Quote:
Originally posted by Luvian:
It's my opinion that you have never really experienced Chrismas until you've had one with real snow everywhere. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

I just can't picture Chrismas without snow and the Chrismas tree...
That thought is what contributed to starting this thread. Xmas without snow is like...sin
Old 12-10-2003, 06:24 AM   #13
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Lady Blue03:
lol Memsy, I would almost be jealous that you guys get to hang at the beach on xmas if I knew I couldn't hang out in the snow and spend my xmas boarding
That's where he have the best of both worlds, sweetie - the Snowy Mountains is about 5 hours drive away from Sydney. That way if you drive into Thredbo Resort the night before, you can snowboard in the morning, then drive back to Sydney in time to catch the sun on the beach in the late afternoon. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Old 12-12-2003, 09:38 AM   #14
Skippy1
Elminster

Quote:
Originally posted by Memnoch:
quote:
Originally posted by Lady Blue03:
lol Memsy, I would almost be jealous that you guys get to hang at the beach on xmas if I knew I couldn't hang out in the snow and spend my xmas boarding
That's where he have the best of both worlds, sweetie - the Snowy Mountains is about 5 hours drive away from Sydney. That way if you drive into Thredbo Resort the night before, you can snowboard in the morning, then drive back to Sydney in time to catch the sun on the beach in the late afternoon. [img]tongue.gif[/img] [/QUOTE]I've actually done that! Unless the roads have improved drastically though or you drive like a maniac, it's more like 6 hours. I worked at Perisher and Charlotte Pass for 2 seasons! had a ball!! )

One of my fondest memories of Christmas in OZ as a kid was when the old man would bring a huge box of Peaches home. They were the size of a large Grape Fruit, and so ripe that you had to sit outside to eat them as the juice used to roll down your arms and drip off your elbows onto the ground.
Old 12-25-2003, 12:43 PM   #15
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Here's a picture of Bondi Beach this Christmas Day...apparently they had 10,000 people there over the course of the day.

The supporting article can be found HERE

Quote:

From the Daily Telegraph:
A Sydney Christmas

Human tidal waves hit Bondi

December 26, 2003

THEY come from across the world, around the city and down the road – the three waves that land on the shores of Bondi beach on Christmas Day.

More than 10,000 people stepped gingerly on to the hot sand yesterday.

Lifesavers said the day was now divided into "three definite waves" of beachgoers. "People begin arriving before sunrise," said lifesaver Kerryn Briody, who has been working the beach for 25 years.

"They are the die-hards who come every day and local families who go home before the crowds get here." The backpackers wake up around 11am.

Old 12-25-2003, 12:54 PM   #16
Charlie
Lord Ao

Bloody typical. That place was deserted and pissing down when I was there, not a soul to be seen. [img]smile.gif[/img]
[img]\"http://img.ranchoweb.com/images/ladyzekke/england1.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br />One Love, Peace. [img]\"http://img.ranchoweb.com/images/ladyzekke/pissr.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> [img]\"http://img.ranchoweb.com/images/ladyzekke/piss.gif\" alt=\" - \" />
Old 01-02-2004, 04:33 AM   #17
Skippy1
Elminster

Quote:
Originally posted by Memnoch:
Here's a picture of Bondi Beach this Christmas Day...apparently they had 10,000 people there over the course of the day.

The supporting article can be found HERE

quote:

From the Daily Telegraph:
A Sydney Christmas

Human tidal waves hit Bondi

December 26, 2003

THEY come from across the world, around the city and down the road – the three waves that land on the shores of Bondi beach on Christmas Day.

More than 10,000 people stepped gingerly on to the hot sand yesterday.

Lifesavers said the day was now divided into "three definite waves" of beachgoers. "People begin arriving before sunrise," said lifesaver Kerryn Briody, who has been working the beach for 25 years.

"They are the die-hards who come every day and local families who go home before the crowds get here." The backpackers wake up around 11am.

[/QUOTE]That's unreal!! Last time I was on Bondi, it must have been about 1984, there was acres of space. Not my idea of relaxing fighting with the unwashed hoardes. If you go south one or two beaches you can find a nice secluded place called Tamarama Beach. Much nicer.
Old 01-02-2004, 03:19 PM   #18
Sir Goulum
John Locke

Ahh...I'd rather have my snow and cold, thanks. (-21 Celcius today it is...and I have to go out and shovel)
Old 01-02-2004, 07:29 PM   #19
Assassin
Symbol of Cyric

Bleh; Canada is not nice when it's in the middle of winter and the freaking furnace knocks out... Only tiem I've actually wanted to be somehwere else for Christmas.

[ 01-02-2004, 07:29 PM: Message edited by: Assassin ]
In The Terminator, Sarah Connor is told a speech by John Connor\'s father that John has given in the future. When John is born, Sarah tells John this speech, and John grows up to tell it in the future. So who wrote the speech?!
Old 01-03-2004, 08:02 AM   #20
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Skippy1:
That's unreal!! Last time I was on Bondi, it must have been about 1984, there was acres of space. Not my idea of relaxing fighting with the unwashed hoardes. If you go south one or two beaches you can find a nice secluded place called Tamarama Beach. Much nicer.
Tamarama Beach? You mean Glamarama Beach, eh.

Tamarama's got the scenery, but there's a nasty rip there that can scare you if you're not aware of it. Great for surfing though - no need to paddle all the way out, just ride the rip all the way. [img]smile.gif[/img]