Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 12-04-2004, 03:17 PM   #11
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

I have that page open now actually. There's probably some stuff in the Monster Man. as well.
Old 12-04-2004, 03:52 PM   #12
Lucern
Quintesson

the 3rd edition monster manual has guidelines in the description of creatures for making PCs out of them IIRC. If character races are boring you, you might consider taking the small jump [img]smile.gif[/img]

You might consider limiting some of the advantage and restrictions on them, as mentioned before.

For example, you might want to allow a goblin to forgo the penalty for being out in the daytime, as that might be a constant hindrance.

I think the normal and not-so-normal humanoid monsters could be balanceable - especially in an all monstrous humanoid party. Btw, someone should play a tasloi lol. And you thought goblins were weaklings hehe.

Also consider gnolls, bugbears, hobgoblins, orogs, and lizardmen.

I've played with a lizardman in one of my games, but I somehow failed to communicate to her that she didn't get to keep the stats of the monster lizardman, especially being a wizard. The other players were jealous, and I was hoping she'd bite it early on haha. Fortunately, about 6 other players bit it doing something stupid on the third game session lol.
Old 12-04-2004, 04:10 PM   #13
Attalus
Symbol of Bane

For the D&D Humanoids book, look here.
Old 12-04-2004, 07:12 PM   #14
Jorath Calar
Harper

I remember our DM in college let is create a group of Orc adventurers, which of course meant in turn we were evil... it was tons of fun and we played them for a few sessions... until they were about 10th level... and had been named "the scourge of the north".. then the the DM told us to give hime our character sheets and roll up new characters, this time human/elves/dwarf... you know the standard... and their campaign was to hunt down the orc band... it was one of the most memorable campaign I've played...
Old 12-04-2004, 09:11 PM   #15
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Jorath Calar:
I remember our DM in college let is create a group of Orc adventurers, which of course meant in turn we were evil... it was tons of fun and we played them for a few sessions... until they were about 10th level... and had been named "the scourge of the north".. then the the DM told us to give hime our character sheets and roll up new characters, this time human/elves/dwarf... you know the standard... and their campaign was to hunt down the orc band... it was one of the most memorable campaign I've played...
That's quite cool! Essentially going out and killing yourself!?
DM only allows us to play good characters though, which is fine for me. With the rep this game has, I don't want to do the evil thing. I'd rather be a good character doing good stuff. I think there's more of a challenge there anyway.
Old 12-04-2004, 09:30 PM   #16
Cerek
Registered Member
Iron Throne Cult

One of my favorite humanoid race/class combo's was a Minotaur Barbarian. It just made sense to me. I allowed the player to give a +2 to Strength AND Con (with a Max of 20), but he had to take a -2 in Charisma and Dexterity (with max of 14 and 16 in those stats). It was still a very powerful character, so other restrictions might need to be added.

I also like centaurs. The AD&D comic series featured a centaur character in the group, which was pretty cool.

Half-ogres are another favorite race of mine.

Do a Google for "Best of Dragon" and you will find an article detailing their stats and class restrictions.
Old 12-04-2004, 10:06 PM   #17
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

Thanks Cerek!
And where the heck you been... working on that busted up computer of yours?
How did you get around the Minotaur not speaking any language, or one or some such thing? What about alignment? Are you restricted there or is it flexible?
Old 12-04-2004, 11:03 PM   #18
Cerek
Registered Member
Iron Throne Cult

Quote:
Originally posted by Variol (Farseer) Elmwood:
Thanks Cerek!
And where the heck you been... working on that busted up computer of yours?
How did you get around the Minotaur not speaking any language, or one or some such thing? What about alignment? Are you restricted there or is it flexible?
Heya Variol.

I actually think my computer is fixed - or at least as "fixed" as it's gonna be. I took it to a different shop and told them to just wipe EVERYTHING off the HD and re-install ONLY the O.S. and Office97. That cleared up a LOT of the problems, but it would still do the random reboot on me. So I went back to PC shop #1 and just told them flat out that I wanted the motherboard replaced. It was still under warranty and I wanted a new one. No "troubleshooting", No "diagnosing the problem". Just get a new motherboard and put it in. Apparantly, when the new board came back, it would not work with the HD...so they replaced the HD. Apparanlty IT had a bad sector and THAT was what was causing ALL of my problems all this time. The owner of the PC shop could tell I wasn't happy with how things had gone, so he didn't even charge any labor for installing the new components (which he shouldn't have anyway). He DID try to send me on a bit of a guilt trip by telling me this was a "top of the line motherboard" that normally cost $200 and they had given me a BIG discount on it to begin with. It's true, they did...but that was because the motherboard had NO BACKPLATE on it..and I never asked them to give me the discount. They made that offer on their own. So his attempted guilt trip fell on deaf ears.

As for the minotaur, it speaks Common (as most humanoids would if you're going to allow them to be characters) and it could be the same alignment as regular barbarians (ie any chaotic alignment).
Old 12-05-2004, 06:00 AM   #19
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

Good to here about the PC and thanks for the input on the Minotaur.

You must have been posting somewhere at IW, I notice you have a new Avatar! I'm posting like a madman 'cos I hate and want to be rid of mine! I really hate the evil ones. I wish we were given a choice when it changed that you could have a good or evil-bad one.
Old 12-05-2004, 02:26 PM   #20
Lucern
Quintesson

Ah, I like the idea of playing a half-ogre Cerek. That's quite cool, as they're not *too* strong and still capable of intelligent thought, which your average ogre isn't dependable for [img]smile.gif[/img]

I frequently used Half Ogre bands as NPCs that could be persuaded into helping out PCs who were between a rock and a hard place. Of course 12 half-ogre mercenaries really cost them