Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 09-28-2001, 12:02 AM   #1
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

I'd be interested to hear of *honest* reactions to this article, in Britain's Guardian newspaper.

Western society superior to Islam, says Berlusconi

By John Hooper and Kate Connolly in Berlin

Italy's Prime Minister, Mr Silvio Berlusconi, has gone out of his way to stress what every other leader backing America's "war on terrorism" is desperate to deny - that the looming conflict is, at bottom, a clash of civilisations.

Three times during a lightning visit to Berlin on Wednesday, Mr Berlusconi enthusiastically proclaimed views that will appal Western leaders and confirm the worst suspicions of many Muslims. He boasted of the "supremacy" and "superiority" of Western civilisation and called on Europe to recognise its "common Christian roots".

Mr Berlusconi, who has been under pressure over the handling of protests at this year's G8 summit in Genoa, also claimed a link between Islamist terrorism and the anti-globalisation movement. There was a "strange unanimity" between them, and both were enemies of Western civilisation.

Standing beside German Chancellor Gerhard Schroeder, at a joint press conference, he declared that he and his host considered that the September11 attacks "are attacks not only on the United States but on our civilisation, of which we are proud bearers, conscious of the supremacy of our civilisation".

He had earlier told Italian journalists: "We should be conscious of the superiority of our civilisation, which consists of a value system that has given people widespread prosperity in those countries that embrace it, and guarantees respect for human rights and religion." As if to rub salt in the wound, he added: "This respect certainly does not exist in the Islamic countries."

Mr Berlusconi began his eventful day with a surprise breakfast with President Vladimir Putin of Russia, who is also visiting Germany. The Prime Minister emerged to tell reporters that "Europe must revive on the basis of common Christian roots".

That remark will not only dismay ethnic minority leaders, but will also be deeply offensive to Albanians, Bosnians, Kosovans and other European Muslims.

------------------
Old 09-28-2001, 12:08 AM   #2
Draconia

Hi Memnoch. I will give you my opinion when I haven't taken a sleeping pill and my head is a little clearer. (((HUGS))) I will do that soon.

------------------

Draconia, Dragon Queen
Old 09-28-2001, 12:27 AM   #3
Lifetime
Red Dragon

So someone finally sees the truth and has the guts to admit it

But it sounds bad though..Especially the part about the Christian heritage. I dont disagree, but its not exactly a very good idea to say that to the world..

------------------
No-Name Face
Old 09-28-2001, 12:43 AM   #4
G'kar

The worst kind of prejudice is state sponsored. Thank god the Pope has made a strong stand for tolerence and understanding between christians and muslims, even visiting yet another predominately muslim country ( damn if I cant spell it ) in the wake of the terror attacks.

The U.S. and the U.N. needs to strongly condemn such language and ideology.

Old 09-28-2001, 01:06 AM   #5
Djinn Raffo
Ra

Well those are strong words...and i dont think i agree with them...

Mr.Berlusconi has IMHO used strong words and conviction in his statements that, for me, makes him come across as adamant in his beliefs as any fundamentalist terrorist. Such a level of conviction is something to be admired in certain instances however in this one i fail to think this is so...
It seems like he is stirring the pot so to speak.

[This message has been edited by Djinn Raffo (edited 09-28-2001).]
Old 09-28-2001, 01:09 AM   #6
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by Memnoch:
I'd be interested to hear of *honest* reactions to this article, in Britain's Guardian newspaper.

What do you mean by *honest*? Does that mean if I say that I think he's wrong not to mention irresponsible for what he's said you won't believe me?

------------------

Goddess and Sorceress of the HADB, and her sidekick Pink
Old 09-28-2001, 01:14 AM   #7
G'kar

Quote:
Originally posted by Aelia Jusa:
What do you mean by *honest*? Does that mean if I say that I think he's wrong not to mention irresponsible for what he's said you won't believe me?

I not only believe you, I Agree, honest.

Old 09-28-2001, 01:25 AM   #8
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

I agree with G'kar, Aelia Jusa and Djinn.. I don't believe he should be making such outrageous statements. Completely out of line.

Cloudy

------------------

Raindancer of the Laughing Hyenas Clan
CloudDragon of the OHF
Storm-Queen
Raven's Cloud
StormCloud of the Black Knight: Heart Mind Soul Forever
"To sleep, perchance to dream..."
Old 09-28-2001, 01:44 AM   #9
Epona
Zartan

For those who aren't aware of current politics in Italy, Berlusconi is a right winger who is prime-minister of a coalition government with neo-fascist elements. I think this explains, although does not justify, a lot of his abhorrent views.

------------------

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.

Epona of The Laughing Hyenas
Proud winner of the 'Most Useless Post 250 Has Ever Seen' Award 2001. "I'd just like to thank my friends and family, without whom none of this would have been possible..."
Old 09-28-2001, 02:53 AM   #10
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

The reason I posted this was because I was curious as to how some of us might react to this perspective. Mr Berlusconi's comments are in the same vein as that of Pope Urban V1 (?) who called for a Great Crusade to free the Holy City of Jerusalem from the grip of the Muslims at the close of the first millenium. They are certainly politically incorrect. But let's take a good long look at the darkest corner of our souls and ask ourselves if there's even a tiny little part of us that agrees with him.

As long as that spark of Bhaal essence is in our soul we will never have true peace on earth, IMHO.

------------------