Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-30-2003, 05:37 AM   #1
ryaldin
Elminster

So I was wondering if those of you who've got NWN, or have played, could tell me what you think. I've seen the advertisements for NWN gold that comes with the SoU, and I've been thinking about it seriously. How does it compare with SoA. (I would have asked this question in the NWN forum, but I was afraid I'd only get replies from NWN-ers, who all love the game. Gimme the bad as well as the good!)
Old 10-30-2003, 05:41 AM   #2
Xen
Symbol of Moradin

I played it for about an hour then i uninstalled it and throwed it into trash. It is still a good game but IMHO BG II(or series for that matter) still beats it like there`s ni tommorow. It is too much Diablo like (Hack`n`slash) for me.

ADD] You can`t really compare these two games IMO. NWN is about Multi-Player,while SoA is about Single Player.

[ 10-30-2003, 05:42 AM: Message edited by: Xen ]
Xen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2003, 05:52 AM   #3
RoSs_bg2_rox
Zartan

even so you've got more chance of getting more replies if u put it in the NWN forum.
Old 10-30-2003, 07:28 AM   #4
Captain SlackBladder
Elite Waterdeep Guard

If you only ever play BG as a solo char, then NWN is worth buying. however, if you play BG for the diverse groups you can have, then avoid like the plague.
NWN - pros - great looking graphics
BG - pros - fantastic storyline.

Take your pick.
Captain SlackBladder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2003, 07:45 AM   #5
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

If you got time to burn and play with other people, NWN is worthwhile getting. Just install it and hop on down to Ziroc's server to play with other members and then some.

If the prospect of spending time online mortifies you and you wish a more leisurely singleplayer campaign. Consider BG2 or some of the later RPGs like Divine Divinity, Temple of Elemental Evil, Icewind Dale 2, etc... ...
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2003, 10:11 AM   #6
Tyrion
Quintesson

I would say that the NWN main storyline is the crappiest ive ever seen, but there are soem really nice mods with great henchman interaction. Those are much better than the main campaign. I was dissapointed when first playing NWN as it doesnt capture you the same way...but as the others said, its nice to multiplay!
Old 10-30-2003, 11:52 AM   #7
RoSs_bg2_rox
Zartan

basically like others have said, the main reason you would get NWN would be for the fantastic multiplayer. The single player is still playable but you'l get most enjoyment online. so if you like online gaming this is the game for you!
Old 10-30-2003, 03:47 PM   #8
Boutte
The Magister

The dungeon building utility really attracts me. Now if I could just install the damn thing.
Old 10-31-2003, 12:01 AM   #9
wellard
Dracolisk

The trouble with NWN is that after BG2 everything else is a disopointment. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Its not a bad game, It gets beter the second time around IMO and the expansion pack really rocks acording to everyone. The multi player aspect and Zirocs mod are supposed to be excellant but not with my internet conection.

Have you tried IWD or BG1 using the BG2 engine?

fossils - natures way of laughing at creationists for over 3 billion years
wellard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2003, 02:59 AM   #10
Pirengle
Symbol of Cyric

I owned NWN for about 72 hours. You need best-of-the-best computer equipment to run it, or at least top-of-the-line sound and video. Minimum requirements just don't cut it. And you need mad computer skillz to even comprehend the Aurora toolset, much less use it to create a workable dungeon. For someone like me, who needed hand-holding to muddle around in dialog.tlk, NWN was a no-no. So I traded it at EB for IWD2. Same ruleset as NWN, but on the BG/IWD engine. And IWD2 just plain rocks.