Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-24-2002, 03:44 PM   #71
Lord High Eater of Legs
Zhentarim Guard

Kaltia's right, there was no reason Neb shouldve been banned, just for saying his own view

[ 11-24-2002, 03:46 PM: Message edited by: Lord High Eater of Legs ]
Old 11-24-2002, 03:47 PM   #72
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
I always knew that those were the rules here..to keep the peace I guess they are necessary. But to have them worded in this way leaves a bitter aftertaste and may make many of the members here think long and hard about whether it is worth it to be here.
We all have our own rights to be here or not, and mods and Ziroc can push us in a given direction. To hear you (Luvian & Dundee Slaytern) push the rules so mercilessly in our faces is not pleasant. If we do not like it, that is just too bad.
I'd like to think that this is not exactly how Ziroc has envisioned this forum's atmosphere to be like. The mods here may deserve a higher respect quotient, but they are not gods, and should not rule with an ironfist. True, questioning a mod's decision erodes the ability for them to keep order. But we should not be treated as children or as following sheep.
I need to think on this place some more.
Mark
I try not to be cold-hearted, and I do always try the soft approach whenever possible, because I believe in second chances. However, sometimes push become shove, and something has to be done or we will be sending out the wrong message that people can do anything they like. I rarely invoke my moderator status, because I understand the sentiment of not wanting to be treated like children, so I usually approach as a friend; but as I said before, if a particular member or members choose to continue misbehaving even after all the friendly warnings, then they only have themselves to blame for, when they get punished.

I know I am fallible, and whenever I am in doubt, I always get opinions from the other moderators. I also welcome feedback from other members.
Old 11-24-2002, 03:56 PM   #73
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by SSJ4Sephiroth:
Luvian, there are many things I would like to say to that. For one, it's a public place on the internet. Anyone can join, regardless of race, religion, creed and color. Demanding to be 'respected' without earning respect is just absurd, especially with so many people. We have a right to opinions of dissent, as we are free citizens of the world. A dissenter is not a troll by the definition of most people; they do not actively start fights, they take up causes to change things that they see as being wrong. And isn't an "obey or be cast out" rule a bit wrong? Telling us to not question you, especially not now, sure doesn't make me respect you any more. To me it looks like you're trying to suppress our opinions, and use "might makes right." Also, you cannot order me to do anything. I am governed by my own rules.
Sorry Seph but you're wrong about that. It is not 'a public place' it is a privately owned board and as such, the only 'rules' are the ones made by the owner.

Opinions are fine, but you agreed to the Terms of Service when you started posting, so that much does have to be adhered to. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-24-2002, 03:57 PM   #74
Kaltia
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Dundee Slaytern:

I know I am fallible, and whenever I am in doubt, I always get opinions from the other moderators. I also welcome feedback from other members.
I know, Dundee, and the work you do in helping everyone on the BG forums no matter how bored you probably are of answering the same questions is admirable.
But I just think that some moderators are taking the rules and forcing them in our faces to make us feel inferior.

The wolf is as cunning as he is ferocious; once he's had a taste of flesh then nothing else will do.
Old 11-24-2002, 04:02 PM   #75
Attalus
Symbol of Bane

Quote:
Originally posted by Kaltia:
But I just think that some moderators are taking the rules and forcing them in our faces to make us feel inferior.
Kaltia, I think that you and the others need to remember that Luvian, Dundee, and the other mods are human. They are feeling edgy and irritable, too, I think, at the way that their authority is being questioned. Remember that they did not edit anyone's account, they are trying to clam everybody down with the rules still in place. Cut them some slack. I surely would not like for you to leave, too.
Old 11-24-2002, 04:02 PM   #76
SSJ4Sephiroth
Beholder

Cloudy, I don't remember anything in the ToS saying "I will stay silent when I see something's wrong and my friends are catching hell all over the place because the mods want undue respect." He may have made the rules, but for one they're open to interpretation, and for another, like I said, it is wide open on the internet. I do not see that as private just because you have to prove you can click and read.
Old 11-24-2002, 04:03 PM   #77
Kaltia
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Attalus:
I surely would not like for you to leave, too.
Point accepted, Attalus.
And I'm thinking of it. Nice to know there are actually still people here who would miss me.

The wolf is as cunning as he is ferocious; once he's had a taste of flesh then nothing else will do.
Old 11-24-2002, 04:04 PM   #78
Kaltia
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by SSJ4Sephiroth:
Cloudy, I don't remember anything in the ToS saying "I will stay silent when I see something's wrong and my friends are catching hell all over the place because the mods want undue respect."
I don't remember seeing that one either.
Shame, it's obviously a secret rule.

Old 11-24-2002, 04:11 PM   #79
Attalus
Symbol of Bane

Quote:
Point accepted, Attalus.
And I'm thinking of it. Nice to know there are actually still people here who would miss me.
I know, I can tell. Just ask yourself, what, exactly, would that accomplish? It won't punish anybody but your friends, and you still have plenty of those, here. If you, or I, for that matter, unilaterally leave the forum, or, worse, get ourselves banned, in six months, nobody will remember us with regret except the people that we knew and liked. Remember, in Galadria's novel, when Chorania is talking to Noemi, and she says something like, "you will deal us, your friends, a blow that none of our enemies could have." That's one of my favorite things that she ever wrote, because it is so true.
Old 11-24-2002, 04:13 PM   #80
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Attalus:
I surely would not like for you to leave, too.
Point accepted, Attalus.
[/QUOTE]I would.