Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 11-24-2002, 03:09 PM   #51
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by SSJ4Sephiroth:
Luvian, there are many things I would like to say to that. For one, it's a public place on the internet. Anyone can join, regardless of race, religion, creed and color. Demanding to be 'respected' without earning respect is just absurd, especially with so many people. We have a right to opinions of dissent, as we are free citizens of the world. A dissenter is not a troll by the definition of most people; they do not actively start fights, they take up causes to change things that they see as being wrong. And isn't an "obey or be cast out" rule a bit wrong? Telling us to not question you, especially not now, sure doesn't make me respect you any more. To me it looks like you're trying to suppress our opinions, and use "might makes right." Also, you cannot order me to do anything. I am governed by my own rules.
I hate to burst your bubble, but I believe the point has been driven again and again already.

This is not a free world, but neither is it a totally tyrannical one. This is ZIROC'S world. You have no right for dissent. You already agreed as much when you clicked on the "I Agree" button during the registeration. You may however, have a different opinion, and venues have already been provided to cater for this.

I also believe that Memnoch has covered the issue of respect in his thread. It is about respecting the decision. Respect for the person is up to you.
Old 11-24-2002, 03:10 PM   #52
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Luvian, there are many things I would like to say to that. For one, it's a public place on the internet. Anyone can join, regardless of race, religion, creed and color. Demanding to be 'respected' without earning respect is just absurd, especially with so many people. We have a right to opinions of dissent, as we are free citizens of the world. A dissenter is not a troll by the definition of most people; they do not actively start fights, they take up causes to change things that they see as being wrong. And isn't an "obey or be cast out" rule a bit wrong? Telling us to not question you, especially not now, sure doesn't make me respect you any more. To me it looks like you're trying to suppress our opinions, and use "might makes right." Also, you cannot order me to do anything. I am governed by my own rules.
This is not a public place. You have no right. You can either follow the rules, and respect the moderators and members, or leave. That's that simple.

As for how someone gain respect here, it is by following the rules and by being nice to moderators and posters.
Old 11-24-2002, 03:14 PM   #53
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by skywalker:
How is respect earned pray tell?
Does time spent as a member earn respect?
Does number of posts?
Does following the rules to the letter?
Does being popular or part of a clique?
Does asking these kinds of question drain away earned respect?
So a banned person does not deserve a basic amount of respect, huh?
Whatever...it's your show...run it as you like.
Mark
I refer to you, Memnoch's thread, as linked in my post above. I believe the issue of respect has been covered very much in detail there.
Old 11-24-2002, 03:15 PM   #54
SSJ4Sephiroth
Beholder

Dundee, I don't believe that, when I clicked a button, I signed away a right to free thought. Some people just prefer to keep their thoughts private. I choose not to on this.

Luvian, this is a public place. Or do we have to enter a password to view it now? It's on the internet and open to all; therefore, it is public. I will respect them when they earn it. Mods earn it by being true to their words of not having any favorites. Members earn it by thinking for themselves. For me, that's how I see it. Or do you order me to see it differently because you don't like that?
Old 11-24-2002, 03:16 PM   #55
Kaltia
Jack Burton

Mods: While essentially you are correct I believe it is reasonably basic to earn reference and respect first instead of just assuming it be granted?

Also I find it absoloutly childish the way both Neb and Lord Shield have been treated since they were banned. The avatars and labelling of dissidents, the changes to their profiles, are petty and spiteful.

[ 11-24-2002, 03:17 PM: Message edited by: Kaltia ]

The wolf is as cunning as he is ferocious; once he's had a taste of flesh then nothing else will do.
Old 11-24-2002, 03:18 PM   #56
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Dundee, I don't believe that, when I clicked a button, I signed away a right to free thought. Some people just prefer to keep their thoughts private. I choose not to on this.

Luvian, this is a public place. Or do we have to enter a password to view it now? It's on the internet and open to all; therefore, it is public. I will respect them when they earn it. Mods earn it by being true to their words of not having any favorites. Members earn it by thinking for themselves. For me, that's how I see it. Or do you order me to see it differently because you don't like that?
You have freedom of thoughts, but not of speech here.
This is not a public place, you have to register to post. It is not open to all.

Mods don't have favorites. I sure don't.
Old 11-24-2002, 03:19 PM   #57
purre
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Kaltia:
Mods: While essentially you are correct I believe it is reasonably basic to earn reference and respect first instead of just assuming it be granted?

Also I find it absoloutly childish the way both Neb and Lord Shield have been treated since they were banned. The avatars and labelling of dissidents, the changes to their profiles, are petty and spiteful.
I must say that I agree to Kaltias tought here.
Old 11-24-2002, 03:21 PM   #58
skywalker
Banned User

I always knew that those were the rules here..to keep the peace I guess they are necessary. But to have them worded in this way leaves a bitter aftertaste and may make many of the members here think long and hard about whether it is worth it to be here.

We all have our own rights to be here or not, and mods and Ziroc can push us in a given direction. To hear you (Luvian & Dundee Slaytern) push the rules so mercilessly in our faces is not pleasant. If we do not like it, that is just too bad.

I'd like to think that this is not exactly how Ziroc has envisioned this forum's atmosphere to be like. The mods here may deserve a higher respect quotient, but they are not gods, and should not rule with an ironfist. True, questioning a mod's decision erodes the ability for them to keep order. But we should not be treated as children or as following sheep.

I need to think on this place some more.

Mark
Old 11-24-2002, 03:23 PM   #59
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
An agreement is a contract. By agreeing to it, you have agreed to follow certain rules. Rules are restrictions. Ergo, while you are free to disagree on hindsight, it does not allow you to break the rules.

Public dissentment and making a difference are two different things. You can either do it the proper way, or the improper way. By the rules that you have agreed to follow, the proper procedure is to communicate privately with either the Moderators, or Ziroc directly.

Am I clearer on the issue now?
Old 11-24-2002, 03:24 PM   #60
SSJ4Sephiroth
Beholder

Yep, and the qualifications to join sure are rigid, aren't they? "Can you read and click?" And speech is just a vocal thought; if you take away freedom of speech you also remove my freedom of thought.

You may say you don't, but practice is much different than theory.

As for you, Dundee, perfectly clear. And as for an agreement, I do not believe that I agreed to squelch myself and turn the other way when I didn't like something or my friends were being pissed on. Lemme ask you this: do you really think they'd take a privately messaged concern into consideration when doing something? No. Nor will they take a public one. However, there is hope in the people, the members. If enough of them are angered, then a true difference can be made. The power is in the proletarians.

[ 11-24-2002, 03:29 PM: Message edited by: SSJ4Sephiroth ]