Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-2001, 05:59 PM   #1
AzRaeL StoRmBlaDe
Hathor

Ive been watching what lakers games I can, and they are absolutely awesome. I do live in Ohio so they are not on TV a lot, but what games I am able to watch just blow me away. With Kobe and Shaq working together instead of fighting this year, the Lakers are completely unstoppable. I bet my one buddy 5 buck thst the Lakers wouldn't lose more than 10 games all year, and I think he's a sucker for taking the bet. If anyone else out there is a BBall fan please let me know what you think.
Old 12-08-2001, 11:31 AM   #2
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by AzRaeL StoRmBlaDe:
Ive been watching what lakers games I can, and they are absolutely awesome. I do live in Ohio so they are not on TV a lot, but what games I am able to watch just blow me away. With Kobe and Shaq working together instead of fighting this year, the Lakers are completely unstoppable. I bet my one buddy 5 buck thst the Lakers wouldn't lose more than 10 games all year, and I think he's a sucker for taking the bet. If anyone else out there is a BBall fan please let me know what you think.

You've gotta be kidding, right? The best team ever would probably have been the Boston Celtics team of the 1950-60s with Bill Russell that won 10 straight championships. Their record speaks for itself.

They would be followed by the Chicago Bulls team of the early 90s which won their first three-peat (pre-Jordan's first retirement). That would then be followed by the Lakers team of the mid-80s with Magic, Worthy, Byron Scott and Kareem which won 5 championships in the 80s. Then that would be followed by the Celtics team that won in '84 and '86, which had asd their starting five Bird, McHale, Parish, Ainge and Dennis Johnson. They were, in a word, awesome.

This Laker team is good, but they have a long way to go before they can be called one of the best ever, IMO.

Old 12-08-2001, 11:48 AM   #3
Bahamut
Iron Throne Cult

yeah but he was talking of the record... bulls got 72-10 record remember that memny? hehehe but heres the funny part

you know why Jordan was the best?

Well, he single-handedly brought the bulls up! Who was his sidekick, Pippen, and this guy was the only one who was really good if you ask me compared to the Celtics and old Lakers! it is also happening again... i wonder, how can two guys carry an entire team? Phil Jackson has the only answer to that.
Old 12-08-2001, 01:08 PM   #4
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Bahamut:

you know why Jordan was the best?

Well, he single-handedly brought the bulls up! Who was his sidekick, Pippen, and this guy was the only one who was really good if you ask me compared to the Celtics and old Lakers! it is also happening again... i wonder, how can two guys carry an entire team? Phil Jackson has the only answer to that.

You know what, I wouldn't say that it was only Jordan and Pippen for Da Bulls. In 91-83 they had Horace Grant inside and BJ Armstrong and John Paxson as excellent perimeter shooters (remember that this was when Jordan used to drive inside nearly all the time). Then for their second three-peat they had Toni Kukoc in there as well.

Old 12-08-2001, 01:21 PM   #5
Sorcerer Alex

quote:
Originally posted by Memnoch:

You've gotta be kidding, right? The best team ever would probably have been the Boston Celtics team of the 1950-60s with Bill Russell that won 10 straight championships. Their record speaks for itself.

They would be followed by the Chicago Bulls team of the early 90s which won their first three-peat (pre-Jordan's first retirement). That would then be followed by the Lakers team of the mid-80s with Magic, Worthy, Byron Scott and Kareem which won 5 championships in the 80s. Then that would be followed by the Celtics team that won in '84 and '86, which had asd their starting five Bird, McHale, Parish, Ainge and Dennis Johnson. They were, in a word, awesome.

This Laker team is good, but they have a long way to go before they can be called one of the best ever, IMO.

I completely agree here. I've heard the games which Bill Russel and Wilt Chamberlain played against each other in were some of the most awe inspiring ever. I hope to find some footage of old games sometime in the near future.

I have a question though.... does anyone know what happened to Patrick Ewing? I used to watch games between Orlando and New York and they were awesome. Shaq and Ewing were great, up against each other like that. Anyone know?

Old 12-08-2001, 01:32 PM   #6
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Arledrian:

I have a question though.... does anyone know what happened to Patrick Ewing? I used to watch games between Orlando and New York and they were awesome. Shaq and Ewing were great, up against each other like that. Anyone know?

He's with Orlando now, funnily enough. He was traded to Seattle by NY in the 2000 season and Seattle traded him to Orlando this season. He's averaging 6.5 ppg right now, he's in the twilight of his career. Still one of the greatest, though.

Old 12-08-2001, 02:00 PM   #7
Barloc
Zhentarim Guard

you guys are all wrong, the sonics are the best
Old 12-09-2001, 02:09 AM   #8
Mitro Jellywadder
Quintesson

quote:
Originally posted by Memnoch:

You know what, I wouldn't say that it was only Jordan and Pippen for Da Bulls. In 91-83 they had Horace Grant inside and BJ Armstrong and John Paxson as excellent perimeter shooters (remember that this was when Jordan used to drive inside nearly all the time). Then for their second three-peat they had Toni Kukoc in there as well.

Don't forget for their second three-peat they had a wild rebounder named Rodman. Between Jordan and Jackson, they kept him under control enough to get them last three rings. What a lot of people don't realize is that Jordan drew double teams and then dished off a lot of game winning shots.

Paxson, Wennington, and Kerr just to name a few off the top of my head. Jordan had enough confidence in his role players to do that. Kerr missed the game winner against Utah and what does Jordan do the next game. Draw a double team and give Kerr the shot at redemption, which he promptly hit. Pippen was definitely the jack-of-all-trades for the Bulls.
Old 12-10-2001, 08:58 AM   #9
Bahamut
Iron Throne Cult

and that folks is what makes Michael Jordan so great... his teammates step up when its needed, and he knows when they are ready.
Old 12-10-2001, 05:30 PM   #10
AzRaeL StoRmBlaDe
Hathor

You have to be nuts to think the lakers don't have a shot at the best record ever in a season. I mean have you watched these guys? Shag and Kobe are both in the top 5 in the league in scoring, and these guys are so good they make the guys on the Lakers without much talent play alot better. I mean where would a guy like rick fox be without them? Probably not playing on a team thats going to keep winning national championships. The lakers just got their second loss after winning 16 games, and that was by arguably the second best team in the league right now. Without a dount they have a chance to get the best record by a team in the history of basketball, but will they get it? I don't know, but thats the beauty of basketball.