Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)

Old 12-16-2004, 12:50 PM   #141
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

I didn't take Britain only because I was too busy with the Gauls and the Germans, although I took Ireland in a lucky fashion - one of my triremes brought a diplomat to Londonium and I ended up bribing one of the Brit family members, who I then took across the Irish Sea to Tara, where he hired a couple of merc units and ended up taking it.

Memnoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 01:38 PM   #142
Dreamer128
Dracolisk

I found the Brits to be much tougher to crack then most other 'barbarians' (such as the Gaul). This is mainly due to their damn Chariots and persistance. Even after I conquered Britian, there was one little village that kept revolting, even though I stationed a massive army there (hardly worth the cost - as my troops outnumber the population well over 10 to 1). The last time these people had an uprising, they raised a rather large army that managed to destroy the two main legions I had left on the Island (most of my advanced troops were in the east or the south, fighting the Germans and the Spanish, and preparing for an attack on the Brutii).
Dreamer128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2004, 04:44 AM   #143
General Nosaj
Zhentarim Guard

I ahven't got RTW yet but I hope to get it soon and I have one burning question to ask. Are your alliances far more secure than in the previous total war games. In both medieval and shogun your allies are quite happy to stab your back at any time. Does Rome have more trustful factions?
Old 12-17-2004, 05:18 AM   #144
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
I'm afraid not, alliances don't mean much in RTW either. I once made an alliance with the Greek cities, it took only one turn until they decided to attack me.
Old 12-17-2004, 05:38 AM   #145
The Hierophant
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Quote:
Originally posted by johnny:
I'm afraid not, alliances don't mean much in RTW either.
Just like in real life. It's lonely at the top.
Old 12-17-2004, 11:48 AM   #146
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

I just started as the Seleucids, gee it's hard to play them first up - huge swathes of territory making it impossible to move people around from city to city quickly (particularly family members), lots of borders to defend, and every border has an enemy! Greeks to the east, Ponts and Armenians to the north, Parthians to the north and east, Egyptians to the south. Plus the best unit you can build at the start is a crappy militia hoplite, which is useless. I just need to hang on till I can get my elephants...

[ 12-17-2004, 11:59 AM: Message edited by: Memnoch ]

Old 12-17-2004, 11:50 AM   #147
pritchke
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Quote:
Originally posted by johnny:
I'm afraid not, alliances don't mean much in RTW either. I once made an alliance with the Greek cities, it took only one turn until they decided to attack me.
But this is good though!!! I do the same thing especially when I realize I want a certain province, or they are interfering in expanding, or they have only one city left. How many of us actually use the Cancel Treaty option? I guess it is useful as you can't be allies due to other conflicting alliancies but want to keep trade open, or not get dragged into a battle accidently to cause more war with more factions. This always occurs at sea and I find myself at war with those I would just as soon keep neutral. I have only used the cancel alliance once on the SPQR, I ended up being outlawed anyway however the SPQR became a neutral faction while the other two Roman factions declared war. Why the SPQR decided to stay neutral I have no idea, seems like a minor BUG.

Some Alliances will last the whole game others will not. Rule of thumb is most alliances will work as long as you are not coming into conflict when it come to expanding. Having alliances with factions that are further away usually work better then ones next door and the only way they can expand is to attack you.

Has anyone asked to become Protectorate and have it actually work? I always get the same, We do not wish to give up our freedom that easily. If it is impossible for it to work why is it even an option?

[ 12-17-2004, 11:56 AM: Message edited by: pritchke ]
pritchke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2004, 12:01 PM   #148
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Cancelling alliances before war reduces the hit on your reputation, which makes it more likely for your diplomats' proposals to be accepted in future. It's a bit like Civilization III - if you get a rep as a dishonourable oathbreaker, then it will be almost impossible to negotiate things, and bribing will be more expensive, etc.

Old 12-17-2004, 12:12 PM   #149
pritchke

Quote:
Originally posted by Memnoch:
Cancelling alliances before war reduces the hit on your reputation, which makes it more likely for your diplomats' proposals to be accepted in future. It's a bit like Civilization III - if you get a rep as a dishonourable oathbreaker, then it will be almost impossible to negotiate things, and bribing will be more expensive, etc.
True!!! It is best to not break alliances too many times by attacking without first canceling the agreement. It is always nice to have diplomats near different faction cities. But if I don't and I want something right away and they will not give me I will take it. I would say I don't break anymore than two alliances per game by striking like snake in grass. I usually don't make alliances with people I know I will eventually be in conflict with, although sometimes there is no choice like when your allies take over a city that you have plans on taking over and are advanceing towards. I guess if I was more patient I could get a diplomat ready to send to cancel the agreement peacefully than attack. But time is of the essence as my army would be sitting around in the field waiting for the diplomat to come while costing me money. I love this game!!!!!

[ 12-17-2004, 12:15 PM: Message edited by: pritchke ]
Old 12-19-2004, 02:10 PM   #150
pritchke

Quote:
Originally posted by Luvian:
Come on, did anyone try my mod yet?
Installed it last night. Adds a very nice finishing touch to the game. [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

[ 12-19-2004, 02:11 PM: Message edited by: pritchke ]