Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-14-2001, 06:24 AM   #1
Lukivah
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I'm planning on soloing as a straight mage, should I use a kit or go with the plain mage. If kit should I go conjurer? I'm looking for the most powerful not the most fun. Sorcerer is out of the question! Mages > Sorc!(yes i know sorc is actually more powerful but I dislike em, plus I like having all the level 9 spells)
Old 12-14-2001, 07:00 AM   #2
J'aran
Mephistopheles

For a soloing game I'd say go with a straight mage. Conjurers are very powerful, but they miss out on the vital divination spell True Seeing. This isn't a big problem when they're with a party because any cleric and druid can cast that as well, but for soloing it's very handy to have a big selection of spells. That way you'll have an answer to more of the problems you'll encounter.
J'aran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2001, 07:51 AM   #3
Sir Exxon
Zartan

I will also say that a plain mage is better to solo with then a conjurer. That is at least my opinion.

see ya!
Sir Exxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2001, 09:52 AM   #4
Kaleban
Manshoon

Well, you could go with a Wild Mage and just quicksave before every battle. You'll get the extra spell slot with no opposition schools.
Old 12-14-2001, 10:57 AM   #5
Lukivah
Elite Waterdeep Guard

thx a ton, wild mage it is =) also invisible monsters are no problem because staff of magi+cloak of nondetection lets me counter their invis with an invis of my own.
Old 12-14-2001, 12:04 PM   #6
Sir Exxon
Zartan

quote:
Originally posted by Lukivah:
thx a ton, wild mage it is =) also invisible monsters are no problem because staff of magi+cloak of nondetection lets me counter their invis with an invis of my own.

You're totally welcome, Lukivah!
And that sounds like a really powerful mage!

see ya!
Sir Exxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2001, 12:22 PM   #7
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

"Cow!"

"Fear me! Fear me and my army of squirrels!"

The most memorable moment that I had with a Wild Mage was when I casted Melf's Minute Meteors and I got a Wild Surge. I got "Area Effect", and because I had a Giant Spider from Spider Spawn, this meant that the spider got the spell too.

Oh yeah... I terrorised the Goblins with my meteor-spitting spider.

Oooo, and sometimes I get lucky too. I once tried to cast Chromatic Orb and got Sunfire instead. From what appeared to be an inevitable death by swarming, became a bemused Wild Mage surrounded by toasted animals( Copper Coronet, Beastmaster Fight).

Then there was the first time I casted a spell. Fighting the Mephit that was behind the Golem in the equipment room in Jon Irenicus's Dungeon, I casted Chromatic Orb and got Lightning Bolt instead. My Wild Mage had to practically jump out of the tunnel to avoid being fried multiple times by the Lightning Bolt( narrow tunnels equals many many bounces), the Mephit was not so quick and got zapped left, right, center.

For pure entertainment value, it is hard to beat the Wild Mage.

I got distracted by the Archer kit in the end, but I do intend to continue with the Wild Mage soon.

Land of the Psycho-moe
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2002, 09:53 AM   #8
eb
Manshoon

I am soloing a Fighter/Mage/Thief
and its quite good. But the Fighter i don´t think you need.